Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you hunt in your Barbour

shortbow

Practically Family
Grouse season opens here on Friday and was thinking of wearing my Barbour Beaufort I got last Spring, but today I noticed that the game bag seems to be a rubberized nylon. This time of year things are relatively warm and I'm wondering if the lack of breathability of the game bag so constructed might not let the birds cool and breath properly? Any experience there? I've always used a canvas bag in the past with good results and don't want to risk tainting any meat.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a Barbour but I've owned several "French knockoffs" that are essentially the same and hunted in them. On these the game pouches are rubber lined to keep blood from seeping through the rear of the coat and getting on you or your Barbour. I've used the game pouch several times while doing upland hunting (woodcock, partridges, pheasant, etc.) and not had a problem with the game going bad.

However, it was all done during winter temperatures so that helped a great deal. I think in warmer fall hunting it would not be ideal, though in warmer weather I would think the jacket would probably be too hot to hunt in anyways so perhaps its not really a problem.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Brillant rumblefish!

Actually I do that both bird and big game hunting here in Hawaii. A couple of frozen water bottles (in the game bag for birds and in the backpack on the backframe for big game) to keep game cool with that I drink as they melt. Works well for hunting in 80+ weather!

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks Gents for the good insights. In warmish weather I use a canvas vest with game pouch and that works great, I'd only use the Barbour if it were raining, temps would probably be in Teens C. I actually have a small flask sized freezer pack that is made for lunch boxes, hadn't even though of that but 'twould be perfect. Lotso smarts in this here bar.:eusa_clap

Doublegun

Practically Family
I wore mine for 2-3 seasons but not any more. First of all, I work cover pretty quickly and generate A LOT of body heat. Unless it in the low 40's and damp I've found the Beaufort to be too much coat. It has absolutely ZERO breathability and traps perspiration (which gets' absorbed by the cotton lining). Also, if it's raining, the corduroy collar will wick rain right down your back. Between that and the trapper perspiration and body heat the jackets are just plain unpleasant to wear. ALSO, once you get them wet they have a tendency to shrink - A LOT. I lost almost 2" in sleeve length after two years of wearing the coat. And they start to stink! I offered mine to my wife - she wouldn't wear it.

As for the gamebag - they work just fine. I also put empty shells in there (I never leave them in the field/woods). If you have a Beaufort you have to have hulls rattling around and feathers and a little blood in the back or else you risk looking like a poser - not a hunter. lol

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks DG. I wuz out today for the first day and all Annie and I could turn up wuz one lousy little spruce grouse that rode home in my canvas vest. Game was just not moving at all, at all. Sounds like the Barbour is better suited to Sloane Square than the game fields. I wonder if I should use it to clean a couple of grouse on before I sell it? Give it a little character?:D

Also, after we got back I went by the hardware store and found a couple of freezer pacs like we talked about above but these are hardly bigger than a pack of cigarettes. I bought two to use as game coolers, they're so small and light that my vest won't even know they're in there. That was a good tip.;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I once...

...shot a damned Tiger in my Barbour!! How the bugger managed to get into it, I'll never know!! ;)

On a serious note, for stationary things, then waxed Barbours are fine (I've used them for years and live 30 mins drive from the factory), but for higher impact things like trekking across moors, mountains..etc, I find you sweat too much and can then get quite chilled fairly quickly (my two cents, or tuppence worth!).

Micawber

A-List Customer
When I was a gamekeeper I used to get through one Barbour Northumbria per year. The lightweight jackets never lasted long at all.

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
Ive never gone hunting, and I don't think I ever could, though my grandfather used to leave for days and go hunting, with barely nothing with him.

I am more of an archery type of girl, its relaxing, and keeps the mind in a nice clear state.

budrichard

Familiar Face
Brit weather is cold, damp and rainy and that's where Barbour shines.
I and my son have Northumbria coats for goose and duck hunting but if the weather is not 35F, rain blowing sideways, we use lighter stuff. For active hunting such as grouse, I wouldn't wear heavy weight Barbour. You want something that allow the perspiration to evaporate. For that i use Filson double unoiled Tin Cloth.-Dick

James007

Familiar Face
No I do not i just use mine for working around the yard in the fall, any time it rains and for walk,s in the woods!

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Barbour owner since the early 80's when the Sloane Ranger faction made it popular again. Have tried them (Beaufort, Border and Bedale) in pretty rugged fields where the activity has been strenuous and wouldn't recommend them for that. They are fine for low activity sports such as Grouse / Pheasant shoots up on the moors or fly fishing, but not where you are walking for miles up mountain and down dale as one tends to 'sweat' in them, then if you stop, that cools down and hypothermia (in extremes) can be a real risk. So use them for low activity things, but the newer breathable fabrics like Goretex I'd recommend if really beasting yourself and working up a sweat - just my view point, but gained from a few bad experiences (sadly).

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Very interesting thread as I have been contemplating the purchase of a Barbour for some time and wondered about the real-world qualities of the waxed jackets in the field.

Although I don't hunt as much anymore it is still good to know the opinions of those who have used the coats as they were originally intended...before the the 'urban chic' aspect of the coats kicked in. ;)

I would just use mine as a rainy weather and autumn town coat most of the time anyway, but still good information in this thread. Thanks, gents.

shortbow

Practically Family
Clyde, under those circumstances, I think you would be well served. They are certainly smart looking togs and do a credible job turning light rain. Buena Suerte.

Edward

Bartender
Barbours are, imo, in their element in a light rain, either in city or country. the sort of jacket you might take with you on holiday (I prefer the International style over the more traditional 'country' jackets, but it's the same principle). They're actually also very effective in heavy rain, though you have to consider that unless you go for one of the longer overcoats they don't do much to keep the rain off your legs (the International in particular having been designed as part of a 'suit', with the matching trousers in mind). I have no practical experience of them in the hunting context - that being a very, very different beast over here, I've never run with the hunting set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ