Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you name your hats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
My experience is that people who will name their hats also have names for their nether regions as well.

An essay from my humor website that discusses both hat naming and other naming.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
My Whippets...

Hughy and Dughy

hpim2031.jpg

Nice! Where's Louie? (Lughy?) :D

davidwebb_uk

New in Town
My car, yes. My Camera, yes. My phone, yes. My ipod, yes. My hats, ummm no. Maybe it's just cos I'm only just starting to try out wearing hats and finding styles that suit me...

Maybe when i have to differentiate between hats of the same style I might.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Since Stetson Homburg has revived this, I will chime in. I don't name my hats with people names, but I have given a new model name to one: my St. Regis Special. I figured that I couldn't really call it a St. Regis anymore when it stopped being a homburg, but I couldn't really deny the fact that St. Regis was on the inside, so St. Regis Special it is.

I have a feeling that the more I customize hats (I am a very tinker oriented person) the more modified model names I will get.

My converted bailey will get one as soon as it has been made decent enough for me to like again. I have to build a block first.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Name hats? You mean like naming pets? The idea has never occurred to me. Nah, I'll pass on this idea. Besides (like most people in the Lounge) I've got just too darned many hats. I'd go crazy :eek: :D :D:eek:

Musashi

One of the Regulars
kaosharper1 said:
I named the hat in my avatar, the "Dingus" since its based on Bogart's Maltese Falcon hat. Otherwise I've gone with Art Fawcett's names for his hats, and none for the others.

I watched the Maltese Falcon a few months ago.. but I guess I missed that line cause I had to look up what your were talking about on google. I had no idea the word 'Dingus' came fron there.

I have not yet started naming hats, but I may have to now... this thread puts ideas in ones head.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I tend to name certain possessions.

Now, at least, I know that we are all crazy together. I am not alone.

I'm just not sure how comforting it is to know that everyone is as bonkers as I am.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Our cats are named for the color of their fur (example: Black Cat, Grey Kitty, Black-and-White-Kitty).
Our dog is named "Dog", or "Annoying Yapper," depending on who you ask.
I guess I'll just name it "Hat" or "My Hat", as in:
Stranger: "Hey, what's that on your head."
Me: "Oh, that's My Hat."
Stranger: "I know that, Smart***."

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Aha! I should name my hat's Cherie and Joan! (Cherie Curry and Joan Jett)
they are both VS's... Cherie is blond (mojave) and Joan is Black Cherry!! Awesome. (I'm a bit excited that the Runaways movie is coming out next week on blu-ray/dvd)

Oh and then there's the Stetson Stingy which i think is from the 80's.. its gray with black band.. and there's the Dobbs stingy which looks just like it but a taller crown and more classic looks. (though i suspect its the same age).. gonna have to think about this. Could name them all after female rockers...
Then again maybe i could open it up to male rockers as some of my hats dont seem female to me.. the stingy's remind me of old men. Like maybe William S. Burroughs.

And the Panama.. i haven't a clue what to name that one.

anyway i am going way :eek:fftopic: so i better shut up now. :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Musashi said:
I watched the Maltese Falcon a few months ago.. but I guess I missed that line cause I had to look up what your were talking about on google. I had no idea the word 'Dingus' came fron there.

I have not yet started naming hats, but I may have to now... this thread puts ideas in ones head.

Actually it was an old slang term that many used in a context I won't repeat.

Spade referred to the black bird as the Dingus, and I thought of naming the hat the Grey Bird, but finally decided Dingus was a more direct reference.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Musashi said:
Aha! I should name my hat's Cherie and Joan! (Cherie Curry and Joan Jett)
they are both VS's... Cherie is blond (mojave) and Joan is Black Cherry!! Awesome. (I'm a bit excited that the Runaways movie is coming out next week on blu-ray/dvd)

Oh and then there's the Stetson Stingy which i think is from the 80's.. its gray with black band.. and there's the Dobbs stingy which looks just like it but a taller crown and more classic looks. (though i suspect its the same age).. gonna have to think about this. Could name them all after female rockers...
Then again maybe i could open it up to male rockers as some of my hats dont seem female to me.. the stingy's remind me of old men. Like maybe William S. Burroughs.

And the Panama.. i haven't a clue what to name that one.

anyway i am going way :eek:fftopic: so i better shut up now. :)

Keeping with the rocker theme, you could name your "PANAMA" Eddie (...or Alex ... or David ... or Michael).:p

I've only got two at the moment, so they're just "the Stetson" and "the Gray One."

C-C

RBH

Bartender
Art named this hat The Sportaire .

007yss.jpg

I think its a great name. Does anyone think otherwise???
Its a sweet hat and I really enjoy it!

Mike Moore made me this hat.

hpim4800y.jpg

I creased it at a Fedora Lounge get together at the Peabody in Memphis and named it The Memphis Blues. {it has a blue ribbon}

What is wrong with that?

And for that matter, today I wore a Stetson Whippet... damn.. that hat has a name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR