Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
jamespowers said:
How long is it? The pictures make it look frock length.
I would say 20s if it is regular length---maybe even before that.
Any tags in the inside pocket?

I didn't see any tags. Here's a quick shot. Excuse the non formal jeans and shirt- just wanted to show the fit, not any style.

P1080240.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'm no expert, but the lines of that DJ make me think of those post-WWI Jazz suits... [huh]

That's a pretty unique and cool DJ Dinnerman!

animator

One of the Regulars
I have a tuxedo with tails I wore to Prom (I'll never fit in it again) and this Italian made double breasted one I got married in.

CHRIS_PICT_FIXED.jpg

I wish I had reasons to wear tuxedos regularly. I feel more relaxed in them.

Dinerman said:
I didn't see any tags. Here's a quick shot. Excuse the non formal jeans and shirt- just wanted to show the fit, not any style.

P1080240.jpg

Interesting. I don't know quite what to make of it. It looks slightly longer than a regular tuxedo but it could well just be a Long in size.
It definitely has that Jazz era look about it. I would feel safe saying it was 20s if I were you. :D

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I believe that most notch lapels are done to save money, and prevent the timid from becoming too gun shy. Dinerman's coat seems to be of a 20's length. the cuffs are very interesting, I've never seen that before. They remind me of a coachman's service coat. I bet the tux looks great when worn! I believe that there is an order of declining tux formality, from most to least. That would be peak collar, shawl collar, double breasted, and then notch collar. I don't think that the Academy Awards can be used as a style barometer. They are a fashion barometer. "Fashion comes and goes, but style lasts forever"(Don't know whose quote that is). Remember that the Academy Awards are often used as a springboard for young , ambitious designers to get a reputation. The reputation isn't always for good taste. I believe we should stick with the classics in formal wear.

Notch lapels come from the Lounge suit, a non-formal suit I think of the 1890's or so. The notched lapel tux suggests informality and was linked more with swingin' entertainers such as in 1960's Las Vegas. On one level very cool like Frank or Dino but not serious or formal, snazzy dressy and casual at the same time. Always best represented drink in hand, bowtie untied and dangling after a hot gig at a smokin' night spot.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
dogrocketp said:
I don't think that the Academy Awards can be used as a style barometer. They are a fashion barometer. "Fashion comes and goes, but style lasts forever"(Don't know whose quote that is). Remember that the Academy Awards are often used as a springboard for young , ambitious designers to get a reputation. The reputation isn't always for good taste. I believe we should stick with the classics in formal wear.

I could not agree more. The last place one should look for formal wear advice is the Academy Award ceremonies...

I was going to post some pictures of hideous examples and my browser crashed, possibly in disgust. But you've all seen them...

A

AntonAAK

Practically Family
My favourite quote on the subject is Oscar Wilde's

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Notch lapels may be fashion or may be style, but they are here to stay, and have been around for 100 years or so.

Yet we strain at notch lapels and swallow flap pockets.

That jacket looks 60's Edwardian revival to me.

Panache

A-List Customer
Lancealot said:
I have been considering picking up a tuxedo for veriuos formal events. I tend to get invited to 2 or 3 through the year that I'd like to get a little more dressed up then a black suit. That got me to wondering who owns a tux and how often do you get to wear it?

I had a tux from my 20's through my late 30's. It saw little use save the annual formal work Christmas Party when I worked for a Staffing Company.
When I got interested in my Scottish heritage I had my current tailcoat modified for highland attire and purchased a formal doublet for white tie events. (I won't post pictures because they are not tuxedos).

But because of Scots heritage related activities I now attend 3-6 formal events each year where a tux would be appropriate.

Odd answer I know

Cheers

Jamie

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Richard Warren said:
That jacket looks 60's Edwardian revival to me.

Really? With that kind of skeleton lining? With the early-style label? With the fragile condition? I'm afraid you're wrong.

Kvasar

New in Town
White tie

Hey everyone!

Just got myself a new suit. It's white tie and tails. I need to get the shirt cleaned somewhere and buy some collarstuds (anyone know where to find them) - also need some braces!

Tell me what you think...

hu0334

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I posted before...

…that I had a tux I bought new from Joseph A Banks probably 20 years ago. It has the increasingly rare distinction of having been made in the USA.

It still fits well and looks good, but the fabric is a pretty heavy wool broadcloth that can be uncomfortably warm regardless of the season.

Several months back Banks had one of their “buy one, get two free” sales, and I bought three suits. One was black. I’ve never had a black suit before, and I haven’t really worn it much. I am thinking about wearing it with a white straight collar dress shirt and black silk necktie to my next formal event.

Time marches on…

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Kvasar said:
Hey everyone!

Just got myself a new suit. It's white tie and tails. I need to get the shirt cleaned somewhere and buy some collarstuds (anyone know where to find them) - also need some braces!

Tell me what you think...

hu0334

Everything is as it should be. The trousers could do with a good proper double braid given the grosgrain facings but that is just a minor point.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Dinerman said:

P1080240.jpg

The coat looks very long indeed and I don't know how one is suppose to show off the waistcoat/cummberbund with the buttoning so high...

Qirrel

Practically Family
I can hardly imagine that dinner jacket being anything else than some kind of jazz suit/dinner suit crossover. It has details typical of the tuxedo of the time, (the trimmed cuffs, the link closure, trim at pockets etc.) but as Charlie notes, during that time there was also an emphasis on showing off ones shirt front and waistcoat. The balance of the jacket front looks very much like that of a jazz suit.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Charlie Huang said:
The coat looks very long indeed and I don't know how one is suppose to show off the waistcoat/cummberbund with the buttoning so high...

I wouldn't say it's particularly long. I'm 6'2" with proportionately long arms, so my wrists stick out of most jackets. Length seems about the same as a standard vintage suit jacket. The high single button does seem to accentuate height, though.

Certainly an interesting and short lived style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21