Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Lokar

A-List Customer
Kvasar said:
Hey everyone!

Just got myself a new suit. It's white tie and tails. I need to get the shirt cleaned somewhere and buy some collarstuds (anyone know where to find them) - also need some braces!

Tell me what you think...

Very nice!

There's a thread about all types of formal wear at http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7058 - there's a lot of white tie discussion there and a lot of great info (and, in places, info on where to get wonderful shirt studs, cufflinks, collar studs, etc.). I second Chasseur's recommendation for the Vintage Shirt Co - I've not bought their studs (I have my own vintage studs), but I've used them and they have great service.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Charlie,

My typing error on that last post, I was referencing their collar studs NOT their shirt studs. I've not bought their shirt studs (mine are all old Krementz or Swank sets) but I've been pretty happy with their collar studs for my detachable collars with their shirts.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Chasseur said:
Charlie,

My typing error on that last post, I was referencing their collar studs NOT their shirt studs. I've not bought their shirt studs (mine are all old Krementz or Swank sets) but I've been pretty happy with their collar studs for my detachable collars with their shirts.

Oh good.

Their collar studs are the standard ones sold by many.

BTW, I think the best collar studs are the sterling silver ones sold by E&R.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
sterling silver ones sold by E&R

Very tempting... perhaps if I get more detachable collars... At the moment I only use them for the 1-2 times a year I wear white tie. But I've been thinking of getting some tunic shirts and fold down collars for my morning dress. One day...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Here's a question that I did not find the answer to in the Indispensable Guide to Classic Men's Clothing, what sort of hat would you wear with a Tuxedo?

I prefer the Shawl dinner jacket, white, with a double breasted vest... now, I've never worn a Fedora with my Tux, and I do have a 2 inch brim Black Fedora... would it be socially acceptable to wear it? Or should I be looking for a wider brim? Or a different bloody hat?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

James71

A-List Customer
I would think that the tux is generally worn to indoor events, and thus no hat would really be necessary.

But on the way to and from its got to be a homburg, surely? That's homburg territory if ever there was such a thing.

Mr Vim said:
Here's a question that I did not find the answer to in the Indispensable Guide to Classic Men's Clothing, what sort of hat would you wear with a Tuxedo?

I prefer the Shawl dinner jacket, white, with a double breasted vest... now, I've never worn a Fedora with my Tux, and I do have a 2 inch brim Black Fedora... would it be socially acceptable to wear it? Or should I be looking for a wider brim? Or a different bloody hat? Inquiring minds would like to know.

If you are looking for a later look you could combine a smaller brim fedora with a tux, maybe it might give a Sinatra vibe, but the hat comes off as soon as you get to where you are. If it's cool enough for an over coat over the tux then that would be no problem. A hombourg fits the bill but also you can combine a tux with a straw boater or skimmer in some circumstances.

This question was in my email but not here any more but I was interested in what was up so my apologies to the original poster for resurrecting it but I think it's an interesting question:

"I have a Tuxedo question and it spawns from reading the indispensasble guide to classic men's clothing... the Guide states that a cumberbund or waistcoat should be worn with a single breasted dinner jacket. Now I have a very fancy waistcoat that is double breasted. So is that acceptable to wear with a single breasted jacket? I sometimes find the guide lacking in such specific areas."

I would say it depnds on 2 things: the type of event and the actual look of the pieces together.

Since the vest is fancy the event must be festive but if you are going to one that has a focus on the main celebrants like a wedding reception or anniversay party you may have to consider the Idea of: am I making too much of a splash and drawing away from the main people.

The best way to get an idea is to try them on together and see how they work together. There is a history of fancy vests and wearing vests with suit and tux where the vest is not original to the outfit. It may be mismatched and then gives a quirky, interesting and out of the ordinary vibe that works well. Try them on together and see, I'd even suggest posting a picture
Sometimes it doesn't go other times you create magic.

Also there are times when you can mix the single and double breasted betwen suit and vest without any problem. Magnoli's Fairbanks suit does that. In the 30's thru the 50's there was a fashion statement where men would wear a ivory (flannel) peak lapel formal -ish vest with Blue blazers and other sports jackets to a great effect. You see this in the old B&W tv Untouchables and Perry Mason now and again.

Best wishes!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
John, that was me and the guide did cover the question, I somehow missed it when I was reading. I figured I'd just delete it.

Thanks though for both tips, its always nice to have more than one idea.

filfoster

One Too Many
TUX hat

James71 said:
I would think that the tux is generally worn to indoor events, and thus no hat would really be necessary.

But on the way to and from its got to be a homburg, surely? That's homburg territory if ever there was such a thing.

I may be the only guy posting in a forum primarily for hats saying I wouldn't wear a hat with a tux (and I own two; shawl collared and peaked lapel, both single breasted) but if I did, I agree with James 71 on the homburg. Anything fedora looks too casual; anything more looks too much. A porkpie would be fun though.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
filfoster said:
I may be the only guy posting in a forum primarily for hats saying I wouldn't wear a hat with a tux (and I own two; shawl collared and peaked lapel, both single breasted) but if I did, I agree with James 71 on the homburg. Anything fedora looks too casual; anything more looks too much. A porkpie would be fun though.

Oh, I don't know. Although I think top hats are strictly white tie anymore, the right guy could pull off a beaver felt top hat wth a tuxedo. Aren't Masons in this habit? At least I thought I'd read that somewhere on the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points