Do you own a Tux?

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Lancealot, Sep 4, 2007.

1. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I've owned at least one tux (at a time) since college, when I worked as a waiter in a catering hall. What a mess I made of that first one, bought used. I could afford to have it dry-cleaned about once a month. In between it was wiped with club soda and a cloth napkin.

Since then I've had a couple of others which I have taken much better care of, not carrying tureens of mushroom barley soup and all, ya see. haha

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Edward and Faux Brummell like this.
  2. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

At some point I'm going to buy a nice dinner jacket. Tom Ford makes a nice one with peak lapels.

[​IMG]

Faux Brummell likes this.
  3. Wolf99

Wolf99 New in Town

If I was spending that sort of money on a dinner jacket I think i’d want one which conformed to the traditional rules for such warm weather outfits - one button closure, no vents or double vents and no silk facings on the lapels. As it is, this misses the mark for me (even if it does do for James Bond).

4. OldStrummer

OldStrummer A-List Customer

I own a tuxedo. I'm fortunate, in that I can still wear the same size I purchased some 20+ years ago. I have one or two formal events I go to every year, so after wearing it, I have it cleaned and then I put it into its hanging clothes bag. I have the whole shebang: patent leather shoes, silk socks, braces, satin shawl collar and pants stripe, matching tie and cummerbund, links and studs, etc.

Last month I bought a nice black bowler to wear with it! :)

5. Faux Brummell

Faux Brummell New in Town

Gotta love those wide lapels though. Nobody does ‘em better than Tom Ford.

redlinerobert likes this.
  6. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap One of the Regulars

A couple of my '30s ensembles

Attached Files:

MondoFW, F. J., Michael A and 2 others like this.
  7. Edward

Edward Bartender

THat would be very nice if it had a single button closure.

What's interesting about this one, imo, is that (at least judging from appearance in this photo) it conforms to all the other norms for a DJ, so it makes one wonder whether, unlike so many these days, this was designed as a DJ just with the quirk of two buttons. I've seen others that are perfectly patterned DJs save for having pocket flaps(!), though those at least can be removed. I suspect in part we're seeing an evolution of what features are now considered 'acceptable' in black tie, probably brought on by so many folks' experience being of budget djs cut on the same pattern as a lounge suitcoat.

8. Jaxenro

Jaxenro One of the Regulars

If fashion stayed static we would still be wearing stocking and breeches and long coats

Within reason minor changes if done right are acceptable although I like one button ones myself and I don’t think silk facings work on a light colored dinner jacket

Now if he’d made it double breasted with 2x2 buttons I would go for it

9. MikeKardec

MikeKardec One Too Many

I just dumped my old tux at the Goodwill. It had seen better days but it was a double breasted jacket with a shawl collar. Very Casablanca. The material on the collar eventually (after 30 years) went from shiny black to a strange burgundy color which was kind of cool but it revealed every stain that the original black had hidden. I doubt I'll ever have another, I used to do a yearly event where I needed it, but if I do I'll copy the style. It was great.

10. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

I have a black tux, and a cream shawl collar tux like Humph in Casablanca for summer.

Wear them both a couple of times a year for opera, ballet, other events. I hated wearing suits for work, but enjoy making an effort for special occasions.

11. Anthony_Eden

Anthony_Eden New in Town

I owe one vintage double breasted one. Problem is last time I donned it for a gala concert, I was the only one apart from the pianist (and the rest of the orchestra was white tie). So at the foyer, I felt quite lonely, and some guests (basic business suits mainly) got me mistaken for either a muscian or a waiter... Sic transit gloria mundi.

12. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

I'm of the opinion that it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. It's all in how you carry yourself.

13. Anthony_Eden

Anthony_Eden New in Town

Actually it was quite funny to be mistaken for the pianist ;-)

Edward and redlinerobert like this.
  14. Faux Brummell

Update to the list below: I have purchased my tenth dinner jacket. And why yes, it IS from After Six's 1986 Miami Vice tuxedo collection. It was around fifteen bucks on Etsy so it was impossible to say no.

Miami Vice dinner jacket.jpg

redlinerobert and Michael A like this.
  15. fabiovenhorst

fabiovenhorst One Too Many

Last night: My single breasted peak lapel dinner suit.
    28423289_2052258718141956_7921697462103975823_o.jpg
    28423710_2051966261504535_2643274559366991371_o.jpg

MondoFW, Michael A and Faux Brummell like this.
  16. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

The first one is what I'm aspiring to for my future black tie ensemble. Thank you for the inspiration! Can you send a picture of just the waistcoat alone?

17. Hap Hapablap

Hap Hapablap One of the Regulars

Here you go!
    Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 8.45.45 AM.png

18. Anthony_Eden

Anthony_Eden New in Town

What a beautiful 30's ensemble!!! Congratulations. And the detached wing high collar fits especially nicely.

I am asking myself a question... I have a midnight blue velvet jacket, SB, notched lapels, jetted pockets, that I sometimes wear with the rest of a vintage 30's dinner suit (waistcoat and trousers). It has double vents. Should I close them? My tailor says he can do it, but that due to the fabric the stiching will show.

Otherwise I like velvet dinner (and smoking) jackets a lot, but don't have the manor house and fumoir to be able to don the trad red velvet brandenburg closure smoking jacket ;-(

Best,

19. Faux Brummell

Side vents aren’t too much of a sin, I’d keep ‘em.

20. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

I'm against notch lapels on a dinner jacket. I would go peaked