Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
I'd like to get a cream tux jacket, but I doubt I'd get the chance to wear it very often.
There are a couple of NYC events where a cream colored jacket would go well. There is the summer swing dance at Lincoln Ctr., Governor's Island, and the DOV.

Mark from Plano said:
I'm planning to wear my tartan dinner jacket to a dinner/dance tomorrow night. I'll try to post pics.
Your new avatar is cool! I would like to see more pics of the tartan tux.

Sometime over the holiday season I will try to get pictures of my black tie outfits.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Your new avatar is cool! I would like to see more pics of the tartan tux.

Thanks. Here's a bigger version of the same pic.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=470777&postcount=1262

I may try to post some pictures while we're on vacation in a couple of weeks. We're going on a cruise that will have 3 or 4 formal nights (depending on what happens NYE). If so it should give a fairly comprehensive showing of my black tie wardrobe. Plans are to wear the following in no particular order:
1. SB PL Hickey Freeman tux, BB GF detachable collar formal shirt, white pique vest, diamond end Paul Stuart bow tie, AE Ritz opera pumps.
2. Basically the same rig as the picture above.
3. White dinner jacket replacing tartan in combo above.
4. Rig #1, but with BB black silk satin low-cut vest.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I had my formal wear custom-made (along with some business suits) many years ago while in Hong Kong. I decided to have a single-breasted, shawl collar, unvented jacket made. I've worn it frequently over the years to formal weddings and operas although I don't wear it much anymore - I don't get out much anymore...too busy.

I think a fellow ought to have at least one formal jacket and trousers. It's a good investment in my opinion.

Noel

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Mark from Plano said:
Thanks. Here's a bigger version of the same pic.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=470777&postcount=1262

I may try to post some pictures while we're on vacation in a couple of weeks. We're going on a cruise that will have 3 or 4 formal nights (depending on what happens NYE). If so it should give a fairly comprehensive showing of my black tie wardrobe. Plans are to wear the following in no particular order:
1. SB PL Hickey Freeman tux, BB GF detachable collar formal shirt, white pique vest, diamond end Paul Stuart bow tie, AE Ritz opera pumps.
2. Basically the same rig as the picture above.
3. White dinner jacket replacing tartan in combo above.
4. Rig #1, but with BB black silk satin low-cut vest.

How do you like your Hickey Freeman? I just got a deal on one on OFAS. I love it. What does BB GF mean in regard to your shirt?

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Lensmaster said:
How do you like your Hickey Freeman? I just got a deal on one on OFAS. I love it. What does BB GF mean in regard to your shirt?

Love the Hickey Freeman. It's a HF Collection (prior top line version with a bit more handwork than the current models...handstitched button holes, for example). I picked it up on big discount at a Nordstrom Rack store about a year ago.

BB GF= Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece.

Feraud

Bartender
Three amigos in vintage tuxes.
DSC03840.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just bought this Tux from a fellow Lounger, and I'm very pleased with it. It's an After Six. He thought it was from the 30's, but I don't believe that brand name was in use then. I suspect it's closer to the 60's. Whatever, it's very nice. I won a black homburg on Ebay a few days ago, but it didn't arrive for NYE. Next year. My tie was a little crooked, my collar too tight, my pocket square was pretty chaotic, but my girlfriend was VERY impressed. Oh, and I was one shirt stud short!
NYEve-Dan1cropped2.jpg

We went to the NYE NYGASP Gala at Symphony Space (my girlfriend is in the orchestra), and I must say, there was a pretty sorry array of tuxes on display on that stage. Among audience members there was a small scattering of dinner jackets, all of which looked pretty sharp, but the performers on stage were another matter. The musicians in the orchestra I can make an excepton for, They usually have to wear black for gigs, and they also need to sit in some awkard positions. So playing with no waistcoat or cummerbund, and shirt hanging out in front is sort of unavoidable. They looked pretty pathetic, but they played great.
The singers were another story. The most common faux pas by far was trouser length. Most of the male singers had trousers that were 4 to 6 inches too long. They bunched up around their ankles like over sized Dr Dentons. There were also several guys with no cummerbund or waistcoat whose shirts (and guts) were spilling out all over the place. Not very inspiring.
After that, that odd variations in neck wear were no big deal. One guy with a pretty well fitting outfit had an electric blue bow tie. I though it looked pretty cool. Another dude, who plays some of the great comic roles (PooBah, etc.,) had his long flowing grey hair cascading down over a tail coat, a burgundy waistcoat and burgundy bow tie. This sort of liberty is really in keeping with his persona. He was definitely cool.
There were several burgundy waistcoats, with red or burgundy ties. Compared with others, they looked conservative.
The footwear was rather tatty as well. Maybe one pair of patent leathers, otherwise some pretty sadly scuffed pairs of black oxfords.
One guy had it all together. He had a single breasted peek lapel jacket, black waistcoat, and trouser length just right. I forgave him for having a hook on bow tie. I think I was the only man I saw last night with a real tied bow tie.
I think it only fair, at this point, to point out that if it weren't for Fedora Lounge I would have been blissfully unaware of most of these issues. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I must confess that I felt obnoxiously smug about they way I had myself turned out last niight.
:p

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Looks great on you, Dhermann1!

For what it's worth, After Six's web site says it "has been the leading provider of Men's Formalwear Fashion for over 100 years." So, given the '39-dated union tag, I still think it's from the '40s. In any case, though, you look very good in it and I'm sure you were one of the best-dressed men at the event.

Marty M.

Vendor
Dinner Jacket.

This is a new Dinner Jacket that we made for a customer. It's a deep royal blue color. Made out of english wool. The lapels and bottons are of black satin. The lining is a beautiful silk brocade with a paisley pattern.
Marty Mathis

P1010188.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010189.jpg
[/IMG]

P1010198.jpg
[/IMG]

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

dhermann1 said:
I think it only fair, at this point, to point out that if it weren't for Fedora Lounge I would have been blissfully unaware of most of these issues. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I must confess that I felt obnoxiously smug about they way I had myself turned out last niight.
:p

This joint is making a difference. One guy at a time. I love this place.

btw: You look great. No need for excuses. Congratulations on getting a vintage tux.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
As promised...

As promised here are some photos from our recent 10 night Caribbean cruise to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary. In addition to all the wonderful aspects this trip had going for it, it also had three...count 'em, three formal nights. Here are the photos of my selections:

Formal night #1, Dec. 29th, 2007 (aka "The Full Monty"):

We both decided to go full out for this one. She wore a formal plum colored evening gown. My details are as follows:

-Hickey Freeman Collection SB PL tuxedo with satin facing lapels
-BB Golden Fleece detachable collar formal shirt. However the standard collar has been replaced by a much taller "Grafton" collar obtained from Ede & Ravenscroft online. At 2 1/4 inches this thing is imposing.
-BB white pique, backless, 3 button vest (waistcoat as my British tablemates called it).
-Paul Stewart satin diamond-end, self-tie bow tie.
-Trafalgar formal braces in black with three fine white stripes (not visible).
-Antique English-made formal onyx hexagonal studs and links (matching shirt and vest studs and cufflinks) obtained off Ebay.
-Kent Wang white silk pocket square with (self colored) paisley print.
-Nordstrom black silk formal hose.
-AE Ritz opera pumps.
-Antique Waltham 14kt white gold pocket watch with 14k white gold chain.
001_1.jpg

Formal Night #2, Dec. 31, 2007 (Dressed to Party):

She wore a red cocktail dress. My selections were:

-JAB white (cream) dinner jacket with self facing lapels and plain buttons with the Hickey Freeman tuxedo trousers. Apparently I missed a few luggage wrinkles with the travel steamer...sorry.
-Nordstrom turndown collar, pleated formal shirt
-Robert Talbott Protocol satin cummerbund.
-Carrott & Gibbs satin self-tie bow tie.
-cheesy ships wheel studs (hey, gimme a break...) and sterling playing card cufflinks (double sided, of course).
-Red silk pocket square.
-JAB black silk formal hose.
-AE Ritz opera pumps.
-1960's Omega Connie Piepan 18kt rose gold wristwatch with custom black alligator band.
005_5.jpg

Formal Night #3, Jan 6th, 2008 ("Sad Goodbyes"):

She wore a black cocktail dress. My selections were basically the same as night #1, but with the following changes:

-After a trip to the ship's laundry, the BB GF shirt made its return, but with the shorter (more comfortable) collar with which it was originally shipped.
-The BB white pique vest was replaced by a BB backless black satin 3 button vest.
-The pocket watch was replaced with the wristwatch described above.
-The antique shirt studs made their return, but the vest studs did not (covered vest buttons).
006_6.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Good looking couple.

Wow, what great pictures Mark. It's easy to be married when you're married to a beautiful women ;) . Thank you for sharing.
Marty

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
M from P. you have really raised the bar. Absolutely smashing.
I just want to point out that while you can spend an absolute friggin fortune on a nice dinner jacket, et al, you don't have to. Check the vintage stores and Ebay. My new vintage tux was under $100, and the old one that mysteriously got too small for me (;)), I believe I paid about $20 for that 20 years ago. Shirts, ties, studs, etc., can be bought at a reasonable price, too. If you think you're gonna feel funny or look stupid being the only guy with a tux at an event, think again. You may feel a little awkward at first, but if your outfit fits you well, and you're physically comfortable, in no time you'll feel like the king of the world. And the women will melting at your feet. This I guarantee you. And I'm talking about you Rambo hillbilly backwoods aw shucks types as well! It's like magic!

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
EVERY man should have at least one "tux". And, yes, you can get them pretty inexpensively, if you keep your eyes open. Better yet, send the word out... people will run across things and sometimes *give* them to you, if they know you're collecting. At least, they can let you know where to look.

I got my first dinner jacket from a somewhat run-down, but lively, formal shop that had been in business for some time. They really were in the rental business, but I told them I wanted to buy, and they turned me loose... they had plenty of 1960's on up vintage. I got the set up for around $20.00 for the jacket, and the rest cheap.(the vintage was"old", and thus cheap)

I have now a 1920's tus that no longer fits, a 1940's tux that needs some altering, a midnight blue 1940's tux that needs some minor repairs (this last I got for $5.00), a midnight blue 1950's lightweight number, and a something I call an afternoon suit. I think that's all of them...

Anyway - you should not worry about having events to wear them to. You'll find that when you have one on hand, you'll find more suitable reasons to wear it.

I have always said that when you wear black tie to an occasion, you have immediately made it an occasion you wear black tie to...

...in other words, you can elevate an event by dressing better than you have to.

Moreover, there is an old adage that says "dress for an event other than that which you are attending. It makes you seem much in demand". In other words, formal wear at less formal occasions, a tennis outfit at a white tie event... etc. It cert. makes you stand out.

There - my dos pesos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot