Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Bugsy

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
I have been considering picking up a tuxedo for veriuos formal events. I tend to get invited to 2 or 3 through the year that I'd like to get a little more dressed up then a black suit. That got me to wondering who owns a tux and how often do you get to wear it?

I have four tuxedos and three dinner jackets. They go from notched, peaked to shawl collars. I always wear them with a wing collar and waistcoat. I would love to tell you all, that having so many dinner suits, I get to wear them very often. Alas this is not the case. But when the occasion warrants it, I'm ready. I also think in the long run, one saves money buying a tuxedo rather than renting one. I was always puzzled why the bride will spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a wedding gown while the groom rents his ensemble. Go for it. If nothing else, they are still classy and classic, and look great in one's closet.
R

Edward

Bartender
As per my earlier post, I've owned my own black tie in various configurations for over a decade now. The last incarnation I became unhappy with as it is somewhat modern (read: low waist, belt loops, flaps on pockets, two buttons, notch lapel). The trousers having shrunk in the waist department (of course that's the only possible explanation), I am using that as an excuse to get hold of something more period. I'm planning on having one MTM, three-piece with a SB peak lapel dj. In the interim, however, I've been keeping an eye out for vintage alternatives. I'd still like to have a shawl lapel, though just last week I fell in with a 40s double-breasted DJ with matching trousers in my size. Currently waiting for it to arrive - I'm looking forward to wearing it. I adore black tie - the only thing better is white tie. :)

Josephine

One Too Many
Well, I got a tux! Actually, The Husband has a tux. ;) Here's what it looks like:

TheTux.jpg

It's a Yves St. Laurent, 100% virgin wool, has slit pockets, single front button closure, 3 buttons at bottom of each arm, fully lined, and is not vented.

I'm feeling rather good about it, I got it for a good price (I think), and I think too that The Husband will like the shawl lapels a bit more than the peak (as a starter tux); he's not as into sartorial splendor as I am, or one tenth as much as you all are. :) And the best thing is he can still wear a vest with it, unlike the DB I thought I would have to settle for.

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Here's my humble contribution, everyone is truly inspiratonal. Sadly living in New Zealand I don't get much chance to wear formal wear.
tails.png
[/IMG]

I need proper studs....

metropd

One Too Many
Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now thats what I call a Legitimate Imperialist! I am sure the silk plush top hat is in its case ready to go outside with your outfit.

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
I should (I'm a musician, and I do a lot of concerts), but I can't quite make myself spend the money. I have an odd body for fitting anyway, so I'd need something tailored most likely.

Justdog

Practically Family
Tux

Hugo Boss DB Louis Armstrong Blues Model
Peak Lapels
Very vintage look
Also a Shawl collar Tux jacket
Can wear them alternating with the pants.
2 or three times a year.

I have however heard and read that it is an underestimated suit which some own several variations of and make every opportunity to wear. Owning several styles was recommended and wearing them whenever the opportuniy arises or is created,smile.

Only rule is:
No rules.

Edward

Bartender
the_imperialist said:
thanks metropd! alas, my large head means that ellusive top hat remains just that, elusive....

I love the waistcoat - I've been keeping an eye out for a db white aistcoat like that ever since seeing Marlene Dietrich in one. :) Regarding the top hat... I agree that you're going to find it difficult to find something vintage in a larger size; it's rare enough to find a 57 in vintage, at leat one that is in any way affordable....

Might be worth looking at Akubras - they do have a furfelt top hat in their range which looks good on the hatsdirect website....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
the_imperialist said:
thanks metropd! alas, my large head means that ellusive top hat remains just that, elusive....

Hi Imperialist from another Kiwi (although I'm currently on the other side of the planet).

Like the photo too, suits you sir.

Josephine

One Too Many
I received The Husband's tux today, and overall I am very pleased with it. The tag inside said 44 long, but the auction said 42L and the measurements in the auction matched the measurements of The Husband's 42L suit. So...

Much to my surprise the jetted pockets on the outside weren't real (is that usual? It does have 3 pockets on the inside), and the button that closed the jacket was "double sided" so the jacket could be closed "normally" (overlapping) and erm, with the edges together in the manner suggested to one of the members here (Jerekson? Mr. Rover?) when he said he had a jacket that fit him but it was determined that it was a Lady's version since it buttoned opposite a Man's. Does that make sense? lol

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you sure the pockets aren't just sewn shut? This is commonly done and sometimes no one has bothered to cut the threads.

As for the type of closure you're talking about it was somewhat common to men's smoking jackets and such. I'd probably go with edges together.

Pics would be great!

Josephine

One Too Many
AlanC said:
Are you sure the pockets aren't just sewn shut? This is commonly done and sometimes no one has bothered to cut the threads.

As for the type of closure you're talking about it was somewhat common to men's smoking jackets and such. I'd probably go with edges together.

Pics would be great!

I didn't look at the pockets too closely as I had locked the bedroom door and didn't want anyone (The Husband) to come knocking with the tux laid out on the bed as I inspected it. heh. :rolleyes: It didn't seem though, from the look I did get, that the pockets were basted shut. Would a regular stitch length been used? The jacket is fully lined, and I wasn't able to to feel under the lining to see if there was a pocket. I'll go take a more detailed look and report back.

I posted the auction pic on the previous page but here it is again:

TheTux.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
(Goodness, I'm spamming this thread... Well, after October I'll leave you all alone. :))

No pockets on the outside of the tux, just the slits to make it look like it. The ivory dinner jacket I got The Husband came today and I'm very pleased with it, considering I got it for a steal and I don't know all that much about these things. lol Wool, unvented, fully lined-- it does have flap pockets; I suppose I could take the flaps off as the pockets are also besom, but I'm a little leery of doing so as I think the welt would also come undone. Not that I can't sew it back, however... The jacket also came with a garment bag, but it's plastic (shudder). I'm planning on making The Husband a cloth one as it is.

Anyway, I can put pics of the jackets up later if anyone would really like to see.

To answer the initial question, about ten or so at last count. I just can't help buying a decent vintaage tux when I run across them. ;)
I usually get to wear them about five to ten times a year. If I can't find an occasion to wear one, I make up one such as Valentine's Day out with the wife and son. I love the fact that everyone thinks you are on your prom date. :eusa_doh: My son is two people and I have long past high school age but thanks for the compliment anyway. :p ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Josephine said:
it does have flap pockets; I suppose I could take the flaps off as the pockets are also besom.
Simply tuck the flaps into the pockets, nobody will be the wiser. ;)

Josephine

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Simply tuck the flaps into the pockets, nobody will be the wiser. ;)

The flaps are for show only, there are no pockets. I'm considering taking my snips and cutting very very close, under the welt. I suppose I could open up the seam and tuck the flap in, I just hope The Husband doesn't accidentally put something in the non existent pocket! lol

I'll get a pic of the dinner jacket up tomorrow if I can. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany