Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Josephine said:
The flaps are for show only, there are no pockets. I'm considering taking my snips and cutting very very close, under the welt. I suppose I could open up the seam and tuck the flap in, I just hope The Husband doesn't accidentally put something in the non existent pocket! lol

I'll get a pic of the dinner jacket up tomorrow if I can. :)

Open the seam and sew the flap in. Problem solved. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Josephine said:
The flaps are for show only, there are no pockets.
So both the tux jacket and the ivory jacket have faux pockets? This is odd for menswear. At the risk of redundancy, are you sure that they're not sewn shut?

Josephine

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
So both the tux jacket and the ivory jacket have faux pockets? This is odd for menswear. At the risk of redundancy, are you sure that they're not sewn shut?

Well, I did feel below the opening, between the lining and the jacket and did not feel a pocket. There very well could be pocket but I just can't feel them. I'll open up a bit of the pocket slit and see.

Wish me luck! ;)

Josephine

One Too Many
Laughter at the n00b will commence in 5...4...3...2...

Theybothhadactualpockets. :eek:

The dinner jacket's were sewn shut only in the middle; if I had looked closer at them I would have noticed the sides were open. The tuxedo's jacket was sewn all the way across, in a regular stitch, and I really thought they didn't have a pocket, but taking to heart you all saying it should, I picked away at the stitching I could find and there the pocket was. ::facepalm::

So anyway... thanks. :D

Edward

Bartender
You're not the only one this has happened to, believe me. The waistcoat I'm wearing in the photos from the london FL dinner in January I though had no pockets initially - they just had the pockets sewn up still. A lot of folks who aren't used to wearing suits seem not to realise the pockets open, so they don't - either that, or they deliberately keep then closed in order that maintain the smoothe line of the jacket. Me, I like 'em open.

Regarding the buttons..... I believe i know what you mean. I've seen this a lot on vintage one-button djs, and it is also very common on morning tails in my experience - the norm even today on those. I'm not sure exactly what it's about - I did wonder whether it was a way of allowing an extra inche around the stomach for comfort's sake when you sit down - or after you've eaten a big dinner? Someone on here must know...

Josephine

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I would like to see the dinner jacket.

ok, here it is. :) I was going to take pictures outside,however it's overcast today and no sunshine. :( I took them in one of the bathrooms that has incandescent and florescent bulbs.

No flash
DJack1.gif
DJack2.gif

Flash
DJack3.gif
DJack4.gif

I tucked the flaps in. ;)

Edward

Bartender
That Ivory jacket is classy, I like it. Very much like the one I have (mine's a Marks & Spencer, of all things!), though mine came without pocket flaps. :) Gvies a great Bogie look to black tie for the Summer months (though yes, I'm aware Bogies was DB in Casablanca! ;) ). Looks great with a panama too, IMO.

Edward

Bartender
1940s dj & trousers

As promised, photos of the 1940s dj & trousers I bought recently on OFAS. I paid GBP28 on a buy it now, then approaching another GBP 30 on dry cleaning and several alterations to the trousers (mot particularly, the removal of an additional seat panel that had been added in at a time and didn't quite match).

Unfortunately these were taken on a phone cam so the details aren't as sharp as they could be, but they give some indication of general cut:

Uploaded180308012.jpg

Uploaded180308011.jpg

Lapels are grosgrain - I still need to acquire a couple of grosgrain bows to match a little better than the regular silk one I'm sporting here. Hat is a Dobbs homburg. I've not been able to date it yet - looks to me to be 40s or possibly 50s, but I'm not sure if it is that old.

ETA: They're worse than I though when I see them on here.... I'll have to get better shots next time I'm in it. Needless to say, my modern tux is gonig on eBay now I have this (I'd also eventually like to add a 50s shawl collar DJ and a 30s style SB with leaked lapels to my evening wardrobe).

JohnnyL

New in Town
Waistcoat Conumdrum

I'm in the process of actually buying my first tux for my wedding near the end of April. Its a 1 button, peak, black. I was going to get a black waistcoat until I saw this picture at www.blacktieguide.com

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

The picture was accompanied by the following caption:
"In the first half of the 20th century a white waistcoat was not only acceptable with black tie but was actually preferred by the social elite. It remains a classic alternative today.The full dress waistcoat was once utilized to maximize the formality of the black-tie ensemble. Now it is used primarily for its sartorial virtues."

Now I've read at other forums that it is OK to wear a formal white waistcoat with black tie, but only with a wing collar shirt, but I like a turn down collar. The shirt in the picture is definitely a turn down collar.

Is it OK to wear a white waistcoat with black tie and a turn down collar? I kind of like the look in the picture. Our wedding will be just family and friends in a gorgeous 1909 federal mansion which is now a B&B in Lynchburg, VA. The setting calls out for formal wear. I doubt that any sartorial gaffes on my part will be noted, but if I'm wearing a tux I want to do it properly. We are putting black tie optional on the invites but have let it be known that we don't expect anyone to purchase or rent for the occasion and that a suit would be just fine, but if they own a tux we would like them to consider wearing it.

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

JohnnyL said:
I'm in the process of actually buying my first tux for my wedding near the end of April. Its a 1 button, peak, black. I was going to get a black waistcoat until I saw this picture at www.blacktieguide.com

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

The picture was accompanied by the following caption:
"In the first half of the 20th century a white waistcoat was not only acceptable with black tie but was actually preferred by the social elite. It remains a classic alternative today.The full dress waistcoat was once utilized to maximize the formality of the black-tie ensemble. Now it is used primarily for its sartorial virtues."

Now I've read at other forums that it is OK to wear a formal white waistcoat with black tie, but only with a wing collar shirt, but I like a turn down collar. The shirt in the picture is definitely a turn down collar.

Is it OK to wear a white waistcoat with black tie and a turn down collar? I kind of like the look in the picture. Our wedding will be just family and friends in a gorgeous 1909 federal mansion which is now a B&B in Lynchburg, VA. The setting calls out for formal wear. I doubt that any sartorial gaffes on my part will be noted, but if I'm wearing a tux I want to do it properly. We are putting black tie optional on the invites but have let it be known that we don't expect anyone to purchase or rent for the occasion and that a suit would be just fine, but if they own a tux we would like them to consider wearing it.

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

No one would probably notice but if I did it it would be with a wing collar shirt. It just fits better with the white waistcoat---especially one that formal. If it were ecru or had some type of white on white pattern then it might be different but you can't go wrong with the wing collar either way. :D

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^I'm jealous of your Rodes Louisville label not to mention the jacket itself.

I picked this shawl lapel--from the 50s/60s, maybe?--up yesterday. The stripe on the leg is deep purple, oddly enough. The trousers have external braces buttons. The striped lining is cool. It's a single button with two sleeve buttons. Seems to be in perfect condition.

It's going to require some tailoring work, but it should turn out okay, I think. Sorry for the awful pics, but considering the current chaos level here that's as good as it gets.

p1012695gg1.jpg

p1012696fz9.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Feraud, I'm glad you posted that pic. Mike K. talked me into picking up a white dinner jacket, and I've been puzzling over the options for the shirt. I know it must be a lay-down collar, but what about cuffs and studs/buttons? The jacket is ivory colored, with a shawl collar, and single breasted.

Bogey seems to have standard buttons in the Casablanca promotional stills, but I've wondered if they were just light-colored studs. Since the dinner jacket is the most casual of evening wear, are standard shirt buttons acceptable? If so, then I assume that the cuffs should be barrel cuffs, correct? Your ensemble looks very sharp, but I wonder if studs with a single breasted jacket would be too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes