Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you see your Indy hats as "formal" or "casual" hats?

Gromulus

Practically Family
I went for the dressy incarnation today... I think it works.

Ah yes, but you have a knack of making every hat work for you! Not sure if it's you or the way you match and accessorize - most likely a combination of both.

Is that a standard or deluxe Fed?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Ah yes, but you have a knack of making every hat work for you! Not sure if it's you or the way you match and accessorize - most likely a combination of both.

Is that a standard or deluxe Fed?

I thought that's supposed to be an Adventurebilt! It looks good, and works with that suit.

riccardo

Practically Family
I've found my Adventurebilt Crystal Skull fedora to be quite versatile, such as for academic conferences (also see my avatar):
DSCN1494.jpg

Everyday wear:
DSCN1488.jpg

And out in the field (Ramat Rachel dig, just outside of Jerusalem)
DSCN0994.jpg

Don't mind my mug too much--I hope these are some good examples of how an Indy hat can work with lots of different styles. :)

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

Hi Nebraska,
nice hat, you look very well in it and nice library good books.

God bless you.

Riccardo

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Gromulus, thank you for the implied compliment - and TheGood too :) .

The hat was crafted by John Penman, whose products are considered comparable to Steve Delk's.

Returning to the original subject, as Nebraska Schulte does demonstrate, too, if you wear an Indy hat with dressy clothes, it can look the part pretty well. Agreed: it is NOT as dressy as a hat with a bound hat, etc, and I am not saying it would be my first choice, but it fits the bill. In fact, its "casual" characteristics may be put to use when you actually want to give a generally dressy outfit a little "sports" touch.

(Of course, we are not talking of weathered and abused Cairo style Indy hats :D)

I think many "gearheads" draw a very strict line between grey Indy hats and brown Indy hats, based solely on the fact that the film character wears the grey hat just with dressy outfits.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Oh, John Penman, yeah he makes great quality hats. Anyway, I think you, and Nebraska Schulte manage to make the Indiana Jones fedora convincing with your suits, so the Indy hat can be dressy after all, not just outdoors/rugged/casual.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's a brown Indy hat with an olive colored suit. I think they look great together:

0622091103a.jpg

And here's a fawn colored version with a darker blue/gray suit:

1211001303.jpg

Personally, I am not a fan of gray hats on me, so I wear browns and tans, whichever look better with a particular suit or outfit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo