Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
He was pretty proud of that movie as well. It has become an icon so I guess he was right. :D
I am sure that people could be made that oblivious. Do you know for sure what is in a hot dog? :p

I have *made* hot dogs, and have been in charge of grinding the meat that went into them. And I still eat them. (Which is why eating a rat would be no big deal for me.)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's why when we were getting the Santa Claus legend, our parents would always stress REINdeer, not plain deer. "It's not the same thing!" they'd say.

When I was a kid, we'd occasionally get tuna as a treat. My parents always called it "tuna fish" but I had goldfish, and growing up on a farm, I somehow thought it was goldfish in the can- as in there was this big farm someplace with goldfish in bowls. No matter how my parents tried to explain it to me, my 3-year old mind heard "goldfish" every time they said "tuna fish." I just couldn't get past that there were different types of fish and some weren't food, because after all, the cows were all food, even the friendly ones that followed you around, even the dairy cows, etc. So they started calling it tuna.

Thankfully, I grew out of it a few years later, but I insisted (despite their best efforts to show me otherwise) for about 2-3 years that that I wouldn't eat any fish.

Blackjack

One Too Many
I have *made* hot dogs, and have been in charge of grinding the meat that went into them. And I still eat them. (Which is why eating a rat would be no big deal for me.)

I look at eating hot dogs like kids eating worms out of the dirt, they build up your tolerance from germs, they're good for you LOL!!! Few things in life are better than a chili cheese dog!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Living in Des Moines and watching our downtown area change so drastically in the last 12 years has been both refreshing and heartbreaking.

When I saw this picture today, the air escaped my chest and I couldn't catch it again for nearly a minute. Sometimes, you just have to bite down on the leather strap and wince. I guess this is one of those times. My, how the mighty newspaper industry has fallen. Another casualty in Des Moines.

DM-Register-for-sale-sign.jpg

*edit: The newspaper has been located in the same building since 1919 with a partial remodeling in the 1930s. The paper was founded in 1849 as the Iowa Star.

Last edited:
Living in Des Moines and watching our downtown area change so drastically in the last 12 years has been both refreshing and heartbreaking.

When I saw this picture today, the air escaped my chest and I couldn't catch it again for nearly a minute. Sometimes, you just have to bite down on the leather strap and wince. I guess this is one of those times. My, how the mighty newspaper industry has fallen. Another casualty in Des Moines.

It is a sign of the times. Although I think it has less to do with the economy and more to do with the decline of print media. By the time they print it, the rest of the story is out and the paper is only good for a fishwrapper.[huh]:eusa_doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Newsweek this week announced the end of its print edition effective at the end of the year, even though circulation is still healthy and ad sales are actually up. One could suggest that the closing has less to do with the death of print than it does with the fact that Tina Brown doesn't know what she's talking about.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
The writing was on the wall for Newsweek:

“It was a mistake to take this one on,” Mr. Diller said. Newsweek will have about 500 pages in advertising this year, he said, “which was not sustainable. It became completely self-evident that we couldn’t print the magazine anymore.”

-from the New York Times

Print has taken a terrible hit from online media and shorter-than-ever media cycles.

Last edited:
The writing was on the wall for Newsweek:

“It was a mistake to take this one on,” Mr. Diller said. Newsweek will have about 500 pages in advertising this year, he said, “which was not sustainable. It became completely self-evident that we couldn’t print the magazine anymore.”

-from the New York Times

The New York Times better watch out for itself.:eusa_doh:

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
Not too long ago, Newsweek produced an issue whose content was contemporary 2012, but whose layout and editorial 'style' closely evoked the magazine's heyday in the early 1960s. (Think "Mad Newsweek Men".) It was striking how much better and more readable this 'retro' issue was than anything Newsweek has published in the past few years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
News-Week (hyphenated) in the late thirties/early forties, when Raymond Moley -- one of the original New Deal Brain Trusters -- was an associated editor, was a better magazine than Time. It had more thoughtful coverage with none of the smug Lucean snarkiness.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I used to read Newsweek in the early to mid-1990s, even subscribed to it for a couple of years. I picked up a copy the other day at the doctor's office and I could believe how poor the quality of writing and editing was, as well as the selection of stories. It was just plain bad and it seemed really biased. Some of the titles on the covers lately have been obviously chosen to sell papers rather than report what is actually happening, such as the recent "Muslim Rage" which I can't believe any editor worth a cent of morals would publish on the front cover.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Having read Bill Bryson's 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' where he talks about both his parents working for The Des Moines Register makes me feel like I am losing a personal friend! If you haven't read it, it's a great book about being a kid in 1950s America.

*edit: The newspaper has been located in the same building since 1919 with a partial remodeling in the 1930s. The paper was founded in 1849 as the Iowa Star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy