Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear Original Wwii?

Xopher

A-List Customer
I just picked up an original B3 which from what I can tell is in very wearable condition, yet I'm still torn as to whether I should wear it. Part of me says wear it, that's what it was made for dont let it die unused. The other part of me says don't you dare wear it keep it exactly how it is don't risk further wear and tear from using it. I'm told wearing clothing makes it lastill longer and keeps it from getting brittle? I don't know. What do you all think?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up an original B3 which from what I can tell is in very wearable condition, yet I'm still torn as to whether I should wear it. Part of me says wear it, that's what it was made for dont let it die unused. The other part of me says don't you dare wear it keep it exactly how it is don't risk further wear and tear from using it. I'm told wearing clothing makes it lastill longer and keeps it from getting brittle? I don't know. What do you all think?
I have a WWII Mackinaw great coat that I wear. It is in perfect condition. It deserves it.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned many original B-3s in the past and some were wearable, but with others the sheepskin would rip. I would not risk wearing B-3s these days, as you really don't know how robust the shin is under to top coating of lacquer.

BP1

New in Town
I think it very much depends on the robustness of the garment. I often wear M422a jackets, but not for anything more strenuous than walking to work. I think B3s have a reputation for being quite fragile compared to WW2 Irvins

aswatland

I agree about the robustness of the jacket. I regularly wear original A2s, M422As and Irvins. Some of the redskin B-3s can be worn with care, but the later ones made from seal finished skins are often fragile and damage easily.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Wearing, B3, Irvin, A-2 as well as Luftwaffe Hartmann jackets all ww2 originals, whenever permited and possible.

aswatland

You must have a robust B-3. Some B-3s which remained in the UK after the War tend to hold up better than those bought from the USA, perhaps due to the climate here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24