Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do your best/worst!

Strider

One of the Regulars
Ok, we all know that from time to time the rabble will harass us over our choice to dress nicely, as opposed to letting our behinds fall out of our pants and wearing offensive shirts 8 sizes too big for us. My question is, what is the worst thing someone has said in reference to your clothes, and on the flip side, what is the nicest thing someone has said to you?

I'll start.

Best: "I wish my husband would dress like that."
Worst: "Look, it's Inspector Gadget!"

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy's Input...

BEST: (Young lady on seeing my original Irvin flying jacket); "Ohhhh it's wonderful, it looks like you are wearing a big cuddly teddy bear. Can I touch it? pleeeeeease...."
WORST: (Referring to my military cut tartan trews): "I used to have a pair of pyjamas just like that. So do yours come with a matching top too?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nicest -- an older patron at the theatre, who gave me a big smile and said "Looking at you makes me feel twenty-five again!"

Worstest -- my mother, who once declared "I am NOT going out in public with you until you take off that RIDICULOUS hat!"

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
WORST: (Referring to my military cut tartan trews): "I used to have a pair of pyjamas just like that. So do yours come with a matching top too?"

Have you seen pants kind of similar like that seem to be coming fashionable in certain circles? My sister has mentioned wanting some and I've spotted them in a recent music video.

LizzieMaine said:
Worstest -- my mother, who once declared "I am NOT going out in public with you until you take off that RIDICULOUS hat!"

I don't even own a Fedora yet and mine has already stated the same. I think I may of mentioned that elsewhere on the forum... Not sure.

matei

One Too Many
Best: An elderly woman came up to me on the street and said that it was good to see a young man properly dressed, that I looked very nice, reminded her of her husband. She added that it is a shame that more young people don't dress like I do!

Worst: The usual "ganster" comment, occasional wisecracks at my expense. I don't let them faze me, however I do note where they are coming from so that I can avoid any trouble should the originator seek to increase their "amusement level"!

Salv

One Too Many
Best: "Now that's a suit!"
Worst: Choice between
  • (overheard in a bar) "That bloke's tie is giving me a headache"; and
  • (pointing to my Tiki shirt) "My mum had curtains like that"

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The best have usually come from seniors. I can't remember any one comment,but they seem to appreciate seeing someone younger making an effort to look good (and possibly they see me as someone who couldn't be a threat since I don't look like the usual "thug":) )

The worst are almost always from teenagers (excepting the fine lot we have here naturally!) Yesterday I hade a "witticism" from from a crumb catcher who must have been about 8 or 9 years old. I was walking to the train station after work and this boy dressed in the typical enormous t-shirt over baggy shorts walks up and says: "Are you a fan of Michael Jackson?"

I just ignored him and continued walkiing to the platform. Perhaps I should have stopped and looked at him and said "Why, no I'm not, but you certainly are a very handsome young man.." (cue sinister music...lol )

Here's what I was wearing that day: grey wool 8 panel newsboy cap, vintage 1940s wire-rim eyeglasses, white button down shirt with vintage 1940s tie and tie clip, A-2 jacket, navy blue trousers with black belt and dress shoes. (Not a sequinned glove in sight). I don't know if that was the worst comment, just the strangest one!

magneto

Practically Family
Best (while waiting for a light to change on the street, me all gloved and hatted and all), an older person (lady, alas) spontaneously exclaims, "Oh, you look so beautiful!"

Worst: The worst, I think, is actually non-verbal: I mean the "lip curled, eye-rolling, oh-you-are-such-a-dork, I can't believe you're wearing that ugly old crap and not 1-foot-too-long flithy bell-bottoms dragging in the street filth like I (the Paris Hilton clone champ of Marin County) am" looks from younger females.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
This topic reminds me of something that´s happened to me about a year and a half ago:

Firstly I have to say I don´t really dress vintage, but try to stick to a semi-classic style, combining modern (jeans...) and timeless elements (button down shirts, pullunders, sometimes even a neck tie and a blazer, nice leather shoes...).

I was on the train home (from a pen acquisition trip:) ) and an old lady took a seat in my compartment and we got to talk a little. She told me I looked a lot like her late husband "in his uniform". So I looked down on myself and saw I was dressed in black from top to bottom: heavy black winter boots, black corduroy pants, web belt, black shirt, black leather coat (you call a leather jacket that´s a little long a coat, right?), dark blue (could easily be taken for black) corduroy cap...I was becoming suspicious. I asked the old lady what kind of uniform she´d meant and it turned out that her husband had been an officer in the SS!:eek:

No need to say I was quite startled, that was definitely not the look I was going for! Since then I´m trying to avoid the all-black look.

And a little colour doesn´t hurt anyway. :)

Regards, A.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Best: "You look like you stepped out of the 30's!" Variations include comparing me to Constance Bennett or her sister, Joan, and/or a movie star in general.
Once a random man came up to me at college and pronounced me the "best dressed lady on campus." I thought it was sweet.

Worst: Exactly like Magneto's non-verbal "comments" (usually by trendy teenagers); they really are terribly silly, so I just shrug and move along my merry way. :) :rolleyes:

colleency

One of the Regulars
Strider, I LOVE your icon!

I can't wear dresses to work, so I mostly wear jeans and tees, but I do costume quite frequently, and I hear a lot of "what are you?"

Most recent best: I was wearing a 20's young women's sailor suit for a lecture I gave onboard the Queen Mary: "Oh! Put your hat on! I can't wait to see what you look like! It's so cute!"

Best/Worst: I was wearing a jedi costume at a costuming convention: "What lovely work! Your stitching is so nice, and I love the fabric...What are you?"

Worst: I was dressed as Rosie the Riveter on Halloween (something I wear a lot as casual wear, too): "What are you?" (On top of the clothing and accessories, I was wearing a "We can do it" pin, for people just like her. sigh.)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Best: Well, my personal favorite was once in Moscow some old Russian man on the street pointed at me with both hands and said boldly, "Great to see!" in Russian.

Fedora-wise, I've always enjoyed, "You look like a young Frank Sinatra" and "Hey, Eliot Ness." Once I got a, "You look like Danny DeVito from L.A. Confidential." That was a little odd, seein' as how I'm 6'2".

A girl to a friend of mine, the second time we met, said, "I really like how your friend dresses."

Worst: Besides a bunch of "You dress like an old man" comments... (or the one time Indy was ever mentioned: I was sitting at a Chinese Restaurant and somebody started whistling the themesong. That irked me.)... I haven't had too many negative comments... just laughs behind my back.

Best: While I was walking down the street, a well-dressed elderly black man simply turned around and said, 'Maaaaan, you are one sharp m***********.'

Can't say I have a worst - the comments from the great unwashed are just annoying, and I don't take any of them to heart. But yesterday I was out in a white suit and several time I got 'Hey look, it's Scarface,' which really annoys me because I hate that picture. (the one with Al Pacino, of course)

Regards,

Senator Jack

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
The Best happened last Saturday... said to me by Mark Grace (swoon), "Now that's good looking!!"

Worst: Halloween is over. Or something along those lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24