Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do your view on clothes change after covid?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I feel post covid, my own drive in clothing and taking picture of my self for wjdywt thread has changed, my activity is mostly the same and I wear same things but I just don't ponder and browse the internet to get new jeans or jacket or boots or anything, the thirst was gone, post covid I bought 2 tshirts with funny animal pictures on it, 2 pairs of fatigue pants, and wabash vest, all very affordably priced to local standard (means very cheap by international standard) and somewhat what I wear the most.

I haven't bought any new clothes in the past couple of years. Just wearin' what I've already got. My boots go unworn, and I wear flip-flops or hiking shoes if I need to be on my feet all day. I've been selling jackets, and not "collecting" is where I want to be right now.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I still have great interest in watching my leather stuff or denim stuff or whatever material that can evolve either through fading or getting patina, and so I feel getting new things would be counter productive, and I have many new things I hardly get enough time to put them into rotation like raw denims that still looking brand new after 4 years of ownership, so I just trying to find time to wear them and hoping it would turn into something interesting. and in leather jacket department I guess I'm not a collector at heart, after I tasted cross zip even if it's just my own version of it, I grab it 80% of the time I wear outerwear and so far I haven't see farther horizon than this.

Zero change. I did my best not to allow the whole situation to affect my life and by now, I all but forgot about it. Occasionally, I get reminded that it ever happened when I see someone wearing a mask or something like that but now, Covid didn't change my views on anything.

AHP91

Practically Family
I just have too much clothing. I was hoarding a bit during covid. And soon moving to South Florida is not conducive to getting more jackets. I have been selling. Looking forward to shorts and flip flops.
I think I'm around your size and I'm a compulsive buyer (not really, I just like the things I like)! If you've got anything coming I'll always take a look. Enjoy S. Florida, it's a great place

mvilla

A-List Customer
Well, I started buying jackets 2 months ago, so... Hahah
I haven't been going crazy on other stuff, though... But I most likely would credit it to me getting past my 20's and into my 30's more than anything...

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Zero change. I did my best not to allow the whole situation to affect my life and by now, I all but forgot about it. Occasionally, I get reminded that it ever happened when I see someone wearing a mask or something like that but now, Covid didn't change my views on anything.
+2

zebedee

One Too Many
Lockdown changed a lot for me. I moved back to HK and threw out a lot of clothes to cut down on luggage weight, as I went with a bare minimum. I gave away one Aero to a buddy for helping out my kid and sold one, too. I bought three new ones, but they'll replace ones I'll also sell or move on.

Over the next year or so I aim to cut down on the work clothes I own (Shanghai you need a 3-season wardrobe. In HK, you don't) but I won't go minimalist again - smart stuff you really like just looks crappier quickly; the leather you own won't look great if you own too much to wear it regularly...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Yes to that on shoes and clothes. I have not worn some of my C&J or EGs in two years And it has been substantially longer than that since I put on a tie and sportcoat.
This is basically my situation as well. For me it's now boat shoes, tennis shirts, and chinos.

By the way, regarding not wearing shoes... Most of my dress shoes have been in shoe bags in boxes for the past few years but some light mold actually grew in them due to lack of ventilation. I was terrified, but a quick wipe with a paper towel and Windex did the trick. Now I keep my shoe boxes open, and stacked on angles to allow ventilation. Seriously, just leave your shoes sitting out and dust them now and then. Same thing with sport coats: if they're in bags, pull them out and just brush off dust now and then. Dust is easy to deal with, but mold not so much.

(Oddly it was my Gucci loafers, which have a million miles on them including in snow and ice, and are in grim shape, which had no mold. I would have assumed those would be the worst. Go figure.)

Edward

Bartender
Interesting idea. It was lockdown was odd for me - I think I went several months without wearing a tie at one point - but it hasn't changed how I dress since going back to normal. I do miss the mask, though. I had a few filtered masks with a leather shell, varied between a steam punk abd a Lecter vibe. I liked that they had a hint of intimidation (or so I'm told). I also greatly enjoyed the sense of privacy I had behind one.

Biggest difference for me was losing seventy pounds during early 2022, and being able to wear a lot of clothes I hadn't fit in years. Also getting back into stuff I wanted to wear, as for a long time I was too big for what I wanted to wear, or didn't want to buy things at that size and then not lose the weight. I was very happy to get back to normal, otherwise, though. Lockdown was so busy I was working seven days a week for much of it, and what I wore became less a thing. Had I not been busy. I'd have dressed to the nines even just in the house, though.

Last edited:
If anything it’s worse. I want more jackets, in weirder styles and lower quality leathers.
Like these, I want thousands and thousands of these:
IMG_5828.jpeg
IMG_5944.jpeg

IMG_5939.jpeg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
well, the main difference is that now I have to go only twice per week to the office and work the rest from home. this means that most of my shell cordovan dress shoes are literally unworn. Leather jackets the same, to a lesser extend though.
I'd love to get me another pair of carmina's in armagnac shell, however I find it a pity spending another 1000e to something that will be worn twice per year.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I had a jacket in my cart last night but didn’t go through with the purchase. And I’ve been waiting to buy that jacket for a while too.

My pulling out could be due to PTSD from Covid or that property taxes are due soon or many other reasons. I just don’t know for sure.

Luckily it’s just clothes so buy or not buy isn‘t gonna make a major impact in my life at this point. It’s been sunny and warm here and I’ve been wearing short sleeves for a while now, maybe I will think about jackets in a few months on the first cold day.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
well, the main difference is that now I have to go only twice per week to the office and work the rest from home. this means that most of my shell cordovan dress shoes are literally unworn. Leather jackets the same, to a lesser extend though.
I'd love to get me another pair of carmina's in armagnac shell, however I find it a pity spending another 1000e to something that will be worn twice per year.
Keep in mind that your feet will change shape and size as you age. So wear the shoes now, because they might not fit you later.

Fifty150

One Too Many
The rich got richer. The poor got poorer. The price gap widened. Allen Edmonds shoes sell for $400 to $500 dollars. Retail shoes are now commonly found for $50 or less. Do I buy 1 pair of $500 shoes, and recraft them for $200? Or get a dozen pairs of cheap shoes?

I stopped getting shoe shines. $20 every week was too expensive.

I may throw out shoes, now that neighborhood cobblers want $100 for a simple resole.

With inflation, I now make coffee at home. I may have to stop eating altogether, if they start charging for air.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think the other reason in my life is that I ride bicycle or walking more than driving car or motorcycle, so I wear lighter and need more airflow through my clothes, and I haven't been to a mall yet post covid nor a bookstore nor a cinema nor a church after 2 years those places were closed due to covid, or reopened but with limited access we had to register online several days prior to get a permit to enter, perhaps now they are fully open and free to access but the memory of all the hassle remains and I don't miss them much

AHP91

Practically Family
I think the other reason in my life is that I ride bicycle or walking more than driving car or motorcycle, so I wear lighter and need more airflow through my clothes, and I haven't been to a mall yet post covid nor a bookstore nor a cinema nor a church after 2 years those places were closed due to covid, or reopened but with limited access we had to register online several days prior to get a permit to enter, perhaps now they are fully open and free to access but the memory of all the hassle remains and I don't miss them much
Take a cup of coffee outside a bookstore on a nice sunny day man, you'll enjoy it. The rest I don't really care for either

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Interesting idea. It was lockdown was odd for me - I think I went several months without wearing a tie at one point - but it hasn't changed how I dress since going back to normal. I do miss the mask, though. I had a few filtered masks with a leather shell, varied between a steam punk abd a Lecter vibe. I liked that they had a hint of intimidation (or so I'm told). I also greatly enjoyed the sense of privacy I had behind one.

Biggest difference for me was losing seventy pounds during early 2022, and being able to wear a lot of clothes I hadn't fit in years. Also getting back into stuff I wanted to wear, as for a long time I was too big for what I wanted to wear, or didn't want to buy things at that size and then not lose the weight. I was very happy to get back to normal, otherwise, though. Lockdown was so busy I was working seven days a week for much of it, and what I wore became less a thing. Had I not been busy. I'd have dressed to the nines even just in the house, though.
I too miss the reason to wear my leather masks when the pullup leather just started getting good patina , but here actually some people still wearing mask outside so I still can wear them too just not as common as several years before from 2020-2022

ecommerce have developed so much here due to covid so many malls found themselves empty and have to evolve in their concept. The same with church all the sudden local youtube channels grew so much with all the preachers or other religions too doing their preaching online 24/7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner