Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DOBBS WEST {Open Trail}

RBH

Bartender
This is my newest thin ribbon, a Dobbs West. After it arrived I placed it in a bucket of naphta. After about 10 hours it came out clean as a whistle.

dobbswestwb3.jpg

Relating to a comment from Douglas in another thread, about felt quality on the Dobbs, all I found on this one was a small horseshoe with a 2 in it, at the front of the sweat. Is this the rating on a Dobbs West?

dobbsxd8.jpg

added later[picture made before the cleaning]

dobbsbx8.jpg

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Thanks Duck. Get ya one and you will love it!

I just found this in the Dobbs box. Shows to go ya that styles were not the only thing to be copied by other hatters. Its not a far reach from 'Open Road' to 'Open Trail'

opentrailmj0.jpg

Last edited:
Model names

In an earlier thread I spotted a photo of that hat atop the box it came in and said, huh, I've heard of Dobbs Westwards, I even have a couple of 'em, but this is the first I've heard of a Dobbs West.
So RBH, does the sweatband or lining say "West" on it? I wanna know cuz I have a fairly large collection of Open Road and Open Road-like lids and I am always on the lookout for variations on the theme.
As to quality: The two Westwards I own are scarcely comparable. One is a real POS and the other is a fairly decent hat. The better of the two has much nicer felt and it even has one of those faux windstrings (the kind with the button permanently attached to the bow) that some makers used back in the day.
Gotta love that label you found in the box, eh?

RBH

Bartender
Hey Tonyb, here is a shot of the sweat [not the best, but OK] this and the horseshoe with the 2 in it are all that is on the sweat.

hpim0972qq3.jpg

a liner shot

hpim0974ab6.jpg

a paper attached to the inside of the sweat has about the same info on it as the tag on the box with the added addition of the price.. $ 16.50.
Which I would think puts the hat some time in the 1950's early 1960's.

The felt is thin, fairly soft and in its day I would think a middle scale hat. Not high end but not a cheapie either.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Feraud said:
Does a dunking in Naptha affect the hat in any adverse way? Is there any taper or problem to the sweatband or lining?

Thanks.

Feraud, I have not noticed any adverse reactions to the cleaning. I try to not let the hat stay in any longer than 12 hours. The shortest time I have soaked one was about 3 1\2 hours. About middle ways of the soaking, I use my felt sponge and 'hit' the real tough spots. To let it dry I place mine under the porch and leave it out for a few hours and wipe off the sweat and its ready to wear!

RBH

Bartender
John in Covina said:
That seems so similar to my Dobbs "Westward" which is my Open Road twin.
Project37.png

Could it be that the Dobbs West is the later model hat and the Westward was the forerunner?
Also John, was your Westward shaped as a fedora when new?
My West had the cattleman crease. That may have been the difference in the styles.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Hey Tonyb, here is a shot of the sweat [not the best, but OK] this and the horseshoe with the 2 in it are all that is on the sweat.

Which I would think puts the hat some time in the 1950's early 1960's.

The felt is thin, fairly soft and in its day I would think a middle scale hat. Not high end but not a cheapie either.

I have a Dobbs West with the same liner and sweatband
decoration as RBH's hat. However, mine has a "3" in the
horseshoe. I have no idea, but I assumed the horseshoe
and number to be the equivalent of the "X" system for beaver
content. Hm, maybe if it is a horseshoe the implication is horse hair. ;)

I have always assumed my hat to be a 60s hat- low crown,
unusual mustard yellow color. For a long time I didn't wear it.
Now I've come to like it with the most casual of clothes. Decent
summer felt. I wear it with the front of the brim snapped down.

The felt is somewhat stiff, but nice quality. The block is a severe
"cattleman" in the crown. So severe I have a 12 year old friend
who threatens to put a hot dog in the "bun".

RBH

Bartender
feltfan said:
I have a Dobbs West with the same liner and sweatband
decoration as RBH's hat. However, mine has a "3" in the
horseshoe. I have no idea, but I assumed the horseshoe
and number to be the equivalent of the "X" system for beaver
content. Hm, maybe if it is a horseshoe the implication is horse hair. ;)

I have always assumed my hat to be a 60s hat- low crown,
unusual mustard yellow color. For a long time I didn't wear it.
Now I've come to like it with the most casual of clothes. Decent
summer felt. I wear it with the front of the brim snapped down.

The felt is somewhat stiff, but nice quality. The block is a severe
"cattleman" in the crown. So severe I have a 12 year old friend
who threatens to put a hot dog in the "bun".

Thanks Feltfan,
I am thinking 1960's now too. Mine was not to stiff that I could not put a c-crown in it, with the new bash mine is 4 1\2 in front and 4 in back which is just about the same bash as my Campdraft.

RBH said:
Could it be that the Dobbs West is the later model hat and the Westward was the forerunner? Also John, was your Westward shaped as a fedora when new? My West had the cattleman crease. That may have been the difference in the styles.
The Westward came with "The Cattleman's Crease" It has no stiffener in it and the felt is thin, thinner than what I have seen modern hats coming in but similar to the Akubra Squatter I just got.
But soft.
Here is the band and liner info, I don't find a tag under the sweat.

westwarddobbs1.png

westwarddobbs2.png

westwarddobbs3.png

Reynolds Penland Co. Dallas. .

ideaguy

One Too Many
John- Beautiful Hat!! love the transitional styling-seems as though you could wear it in most any situation, and a major plus-no one will call you "Indy"...

I've got a few similar-one being a Beaver 100 Dobbs, thinking about trimming down just a mite, and seeing yours has given me second thoughts-that slight
lean to the West is OK. And RBH- another score! could you please post a
"recipe" for your Naptha cleaning? I for one am a little concerned about using
stuff that strong, and do we remove all innards of the hat first, etc?

thanks, Gentlemen

RBH

Bartender
ideaguy said:
.. RBH.. could you please post a "recipe" for your Naptha cleaning? I for one am a little concerned about using
stuff that strong, and do we remove all innards of the hat first, etc?
ideaguy, I understand your concern, I got my info from several post here at the Lounge, most notable from a few post by Fedora. I use the naphta full strength, in a bucket with a lid. I place the hat, innards and all in the bucket and pour the naphta over it making sure I wet the 'spots' I wish to try and clean. After soaking [however long you wish, for me anywhere from 4-12 hours] I hang the hat outside to drip and dry. It does not take long for that .
I have had no problems happen from a cleaning.One time the marking on the liner came out a little faded but the spots came out of the felt and I could live with that.
Hope this helps you out.

ideaguy said:
John- Beautiful Hat!! love the transitional styling-seems as though you could wear it in most any situation, and a major plus-no one will call you "Indy"...
Thanks! It was a fortunate buy from Ebay, I did not spend alot for a really great hat. The Open Road style as a fedora really is an everyman's hat, that balances the rugged outdoorsman with style and sophistication, a fine combo!

ideaguy

One Too Many
Feltfan- love the picture conjured up by the mustard yellow hat with the cattleman's crease, ready for a hot dog...be a great hat to take to the ball
park; getcha snack & leave hands free to tote the beverages. Could one of you talented folks put photoshop through it's paces & create the first frankfurter fedora?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy