Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

B

BAZ

Actually thought Jekyll lost steam towards the end. Nesbitt was awesome in "Murphy's Law"!
He'd be a good Dr Who.

Warden

One Too Many
Well now we know, it is offical the new Doctor is Matt Smith, who at 26 will become the youngest ever Doctor.

I guess we have to say Doctor Who? As Matt Smith has still to establish himself as anything like a household name.

15197115.jpg

See Sky news report here

Harry

LordBest

Practically Family
It is worth remembering that David Tennant was not a household name when he took the role, he was merely an up and coming actor. Doctor Who made him, and it may well make this chap. The beauty of Doctor Who is that if this chap turns out not to be good in the part, he can be 'regenerated' after one series.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Oh dear, oh dear, He looks more like an Intern, who works part-time at an advertising Agency in Docklands, than a Doctor, or maybe he has a Doctorate in Music. Well I'm sure it will all be sufficiantly explained, what i want to know is Kylie Minogue going to be his off sider?

Its all looking a bit "Buffy" spose they need to sell it to the US market

And whats on his feet? , a pair of leather "Slides" and no socks, indeed!!!:rage:

LordBest

Practically Family
There was a little mini-documentary about the announcement on the news this evening, I have to say seeing him moving and talking gave me a far better impression of him than the pictures provided on these news sites. I was dissapointed that David Morissey was not chosen, but that may be explained by the Christmas special, which I have not seen.
Funnily enough, the same comments which you see now,(in that Sky news report comment section, for example) "he is too young", "who is he?", etc. were all levelled at Tennant. I will reserve judgement on this new chaps suitability as Doctor until I have seen his performance.

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
LordBest said:
There was a little mini-documentary about the announcement on the news this evening, I have to say seeing him moving and talking gave me a far better impression of him than the pictures provided on these news sites.

That's good - i havn't actually seen any clips of him yet! Like I said I may well change my mind, we shall just have to wait and see :)

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
there was a whole program leading up to him being named on BBC1 last night
called the ten docters http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gqgtw
available on bbci for 6more days..

which i watched...they went through the characteristics of the previous ten docters (including joe mcgann!) and talking to the nerw script writer about his process of choosing the next doc.....made me look forward to seeing him as thge new doc even though i love david tennants doc!;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I don't envy anyone who has to step into Tennant's Chuck Taylors but put me in the "trusting those in charge" camp.

One of my friends said she hoped that Matt Smith cut his "emo hair" before he steps into the role.

This thread also reminds me that I'm shamefully behind in my Who viewing.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
In all fairness, David Tennant was 34 when he took the role, making him the second youngest Doctor -- Peter Davison was only 29 when he took the role. Also, David Tennant had a considerable resume at that point-- At least two television series, two miniseries (Cassanova and Blackpool), has lead roles in multiple made-for-television movies, and had been in at least 2 major motion pictures (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Bright Young Things). By the time he took the role of The Doctor, he'd been acting for about 16 years. I'd hardly call him an unknown-- just because he wasn't on your radar didn't mean he didn't show up on others.

(Hope that's not comming off as rude... just throwing some credentials out there)

This Matt Smith fellow has a considerably shorter resume, but apparently he had a little something that made him right for the role. I just hope it doesn't turn into, as someone had already mentioned, Buffy. Not that I don't like Buffy, I just like to keep my Sci-Fi series from mixing...

I will admit that I'm a little concerned about his age. He's not much older than me. I'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I have to admit, when Tennant first took over I was really bummed because I had fallen in *lurve* with Eccleston.....BUT.....he turned out to be the real deal, so I am hopeful for this next bloke. I am gonna cry like a baby when he regenerates, however. Like a weepy, sobby, little sap.:(

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I love that pin!!! The old logo was simply the best!

Got "The Brain of Morbius"; "Talons of Weng Ch'iang" and "The Sontaran Experiment" on DVD for X-Mas, and seeing Tom Baker in action again through adult eyes, I realized that what I liked about him as a kid was that he was so different than all the other heroes I worshipped as a boy. He was funny, irreverent, and mostly non-violent. I appreciate him all over again, perhaps even more. It also made me realize that pop culture has been since inundated with knock-offs of his character. Every young buck coming up has to be glib, flip, and irreverent. Watching "Mad Tom" again allowed me to appreciate how good he was then and how things have changed in the last thirty years.

Edward

Bartender
Dear Tom is equally mad in person.... quite frankly, I suspect there was an awful, awful lot of himself in his Doctor. Incredibly nice guy, though - one of those slebs who really does seem to be genuinely interested in his audience, what they make of his work, how it fires their imaginations and (perhaps paradoxically), for all his eccentricity, very down to earth with it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk