Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone know Jimmy Chen Suits?

troy

One of the Regulars
About six weeks ago while browsing one of my local vintage stores, I picked up what appears to be a 60s suit by Jimmy Chen. It's a nice looking suit, and I couldn't pass it up for the money, but I can't seem to find anything on Jimmy Chen suits.

Does anyone know anything about them? I can post pictures this weekend if anyone is interested.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Troy

troy

One of the Regulars
Photos of the Jimmy Chen Suit

Ok, So I've finally taken some photos of the suit. Here they are.

P8300003.jpg

P8300005.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

P8300001.jpg

Any comments or info??

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Chen

It was obviously made for someone particular as that tailor is down in the heart of the clothing area of Tsim Shat Sui near the Sheraton Hotel where I used to stay.

troy

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
It was obviously made for someone particular as that tailor is down in the heart of the clothing area of Tsim Shat Sui near the Sheraton Hotel where I used to stay.

Thanks for the info Cookie!

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Seems to still exist, in the Hong Kong Peninsular shopping centre. I found this info through Google:

Jimmy Chen
T: (852) 2722 1888
F: (852) 2722 5229

This article on Hong Kong tailors also contains a reference to Jimmy Chen & Co: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2005-09-07-hong-kong-tailors_x.htm

As far as I can tell, it seems to be a continuing business in Hong Kong, presumably grown from Mr Chen's original business operating in the 1960s, when your suit was made. The name crops up on a few other travel websites/articles as a good place to go for a suit, so I imagine they are pretty nice.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
KObalto said:
BTW, on a 3-button suit you generally button the top 2 buttons or the middle one, not all 3.
I don't want to start a "how many to button war", but I have to respectfully disagree with that. Many three button (and two button) suits look perfectly fine with all of the buttons fastened. It really depends on the overall fit of the the suit. There are a few minor fit issues with that particular suit that can be corrected by a good tailor. The pants are a too long for one. It's a nice suit from what I can tell by the photos. Good find. There is an article that goes in depth about the whole how many buttons to do up quandary over at The Cad website which has some good photos and drawings of the advantages and disadvantages of going for the full closure.

troy

One of the Regulars
Thanks to everyone for the help. I do need to get it to a tailor. I must admit I am rather new to the suit wearing thing (aside from job interviews and funerals), so I do appreciate each and every tip.:)

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
KObalto said:
BTW, on a 3-button suit you generally button the top 2 buttons or the middle one, not all 3.

Might I add, some shoes would go down nicely as well, not trainers.
Otherwise a nice suit. Add a hat and pocket square, and you're ready to go out!

imported_Daddy_O

New in Town
Jimmy Chen

Jimmy Chen is one of the more reknowned Hong Kong tailors. Basically you get english bespoke style and quality at half the price, because of cheaper labor and textile costs. That suit is from the glory days when the british were still in Hong Kong. You got a great suit for a steal, as Jimmy Chen suits currently run upwards of $2K. It would be worth it to take it to a local tailor and have it altered to fit you perfectly. A side note about the fit of the suit. It has a long rise and is meant to be worn at your waist, which is much higher than most men think it is - about two inches below your navel.

I have a custom tuxedo by Jimmy Chen that I purchased from their Peninsula Hotel shop in Hong Kong and the quality is on par with my english bespoke suits. I hope this info helps. Congratulations on a great find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy