Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Make an Insulated Version of a G-1, etc?

South

One of the Regulars
I'm curious to find a nice quality leather jacket, similar to a G-1, Schott 184SM, etc., that has an insulated lining. Maybe thinsulate or some such.

Does anyone make such an animal? Something with a wool type collar like a G-1 would look nice. I also don't want a sheepskin coat. Would like cowhide, preferably.

Thanks.

Peacoat

Bartender
As RGraham said, LLBean makes one. The shell is goat, the collar is mouton, the sleeves are Thinsulate and the liner is wool fleece. The back is in three sections, which I don't care for, but it is a well made garment.

I got mine on EBay for motorcycle riding in cold weather. Price, with shipping was about $125 for basically a new jacket. New, I think they are around $400. They are cut generous for layering underneath. The Large fits about like a 42-44, which I believe is how they are advertised.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
schott

schott, of course, makes the 184sm, which has a zip out thinksulate inner layer...fur collar also comes off...seems what you're looking for...as well as these going for a better price on ebay, though often the fur collar or inner liner is not with the jacket anymore, so you'll have to pay attention

but you can google schott 184sm or simply schott jackets, and find resellers of brand new schotts where you can get that jacket for about $350...including often on ebay

good luck

Edward

Bartender
johnnyjohnny said:
schott, of course, makes the 184sm, which has a zip out thinksulate inner layer...fur collar also comes off...seems what you're looking for...as well as these going for a better price on ebay, though often the fur collar or inner liner is not with the jacket anymore, so you'll have to pay attention

but you can google schott 184sm or simply schott jackets, and find resellers of brand new schotts where you can get that jacket for about $350...including often on ebay

good luck

I think Schott are the most obvious option, yes. They still make this jacket (though they call it an "A2"... I suppose because that is a better known buzz-'brand' than the G1 it more closely resembles?). Depending on what you're after, you can also find many similar jackets that are 70s/80s copies of the Schott but from other manufacturers. The advantage of these is that, with a little patience, you can readily turn up a jacket that is, in my opinion, as good as the Schott but without the price premium for the brand name. I bought one myself about three years ago - since sold on - for about gBP30. On the downside, as JJ has noticed, often the stud on collar and/or zip out lining will be missing from used jackets - the advantage of going Schott is that you then have a 'known quantity' - shouldn't be too hard (maybe from the factory direct?) to pick up a collar or liner that will fit your jacket.

The one word of caution I would sound here is that in my experience these jackets are cut much baggier than milspec jackets, so you might want to consider going down a size? Worth heading to somewhere that stocks Schott and trying a few on - I don't get the impression they've changed much in the last couple of decades.

South

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the good advice. I have a Schott 184SM and the zip out lining is a faux-fur type liner. Is that about as insulated as I'll be able to find? I do like my Schott, as I didn't buy it for historical accuracy, but for style.

I looked online at the L.L. Bean insulated version that was suggested and like the looks of it. Is it going to be about as warm as the Schott?

Thanks again!

Edward

Bartender
Hmmnn.... Eastman and Aero both do nice civilian 50s 'inspired by USAAF' jackets, if you're in the market for that sort of thing. Not sure about Eastman, but Aero are so ready to customise with linings and things, they could be a good option....

Aero Steerhide "1950's flight jacket":

50FlyJ-large.jpg

Mouton collar (as picture) is an option; standard lining is cotton, but I'm sure Aero could easily replace that with something warer, as you wish.

Peacoat

Bartender
South said:
Thanks for the good advice. I have a Schott 184SM and the zip out lining is a faux-fur type liner. Is that about as insulated as I'll be able to find? I do like my Schott, as I didn't buy it for historical accuracy, but for style.

I looked online at the L.L. Bean insulated version that was suggested and like the looks of it. Is it going to be about as warm as the Schott?

Thanks again!

The Schott zip out faux fur lining is not nearly as warm as the 100% wool fleece lining in the LLBean. I have both, and there is no comparison in the thickness or the warmth.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
I think Schott are the most obvious option, yes. They still make this jacket (though they call it an "A2"---edward

i guess our original question is answered concerning schott as 'south' already has one, but for others, please NOTE that the schott a-2 is NOT an a-2 nor is it the 184sm with the removable collar and lining...imho it is worthless as something a jacket lover would want since it has the dreaded 2-piece back with a seam straight down the back, and it is made of lamb...and it is overpriced

the schott 184sm, while not authentic to anything except motorcycle style (the style is a decades old one), it is a marvelous jacket...the newer ones when bought need to follow schott's own advice on their website in ordering a size up as these fit according to military sizing, though they are a bit blousier (not much, and not unattractively at all, more like a g-1)...they are also short, 25" for the regular, so i'd get a Long (28") if you need the length

i had the jacket for an instant but had gotten it well fitting, which meant the inner liner made the jacket too tight when used, and it was too short for a six footer in regular, so i sold it, but despite being a miljack nut (or nut in general) i loved this jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails