Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone own this beauty book?

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
Its called "Hello Gorgeous! Beauty products in America 40's-60's"

It sounds cool and I was wondering if anyone owned or has read it. I would like to buy it but with some feedback first? It sounds so great to read about past beauty products from our fav times. Thanks

Lo

roots66

One of the Regulars
It's a small book (about 6 inches by 5 inches), and it's more of a compendium of midcentury cosmetics ads than a history of midcentury cosmetics. It's cute, but the ads in it are reproduced in such a tiny manner that it's hard to read their text.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
I'm so glad to learn this before I bought it. I enjoy vintage beauty ads, but I was looking for a history of cosmetics, not a cute book for my coffee table.

roots66

One of the Regulars
live vintageous said:
I'm so glad to learn this before I bought it. I enjoy vintage beauty ads, but I was looking for a history of cosmetics, not a cute book for my coffee table.

Titles that are more along historical lines include:

Inventing Beauty: A History of the Innovations That Have Made Us Beautiful, by Teresa Riordan

Hope in a Jar: The Making of America's Beauty Culture by Kathy Peiss

War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden, Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry by Lindy Woodhead

The Westmores of Hollywood by Frank Westmore

Max Factor: The Man Who Changed the Faces of the World by Fred E. Basten

Max Factor's Hollywood: Glamour, Movies, Make-Up by Fred E. Basten, Robert Salvatore, and Paul A. Kaufman

Lipstick: A Celebration of the World's Favorite Cosmetic by Jessica Pallingston

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have it. It is a nice little conversation piece.

roots66 said:
Titles that are more along historical lines include:

Inventing Beauty: A History of the Innovations That Have Made Us Beautiful, by Teresa Riordan

Hope in a Jar: The Making of America's Beauty Culture by Kathy Peiss

War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden, Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry by Lindy Woodhead

The Westmores of Hollywood by Frank Westmore

Max Factor: The Man Who Changed the Faces of the World by Fred E. Basten

Max Factor's Hollywood: Glamour, Movies, Make-Up by Fred E. Basten, Robert Salvatore, and Paul A. Kaufman

Lipstick: A Celebration of the World's Favorite Cosmetic by Jessica Pallingston

Excellent list! I am surprised you have books that most people don't know about..... like Frank Westmore's. It is more about the tall tales of the Westmore clan. There is a better book by the Westmore's about makeup...that is much more rare. It is called The Westmore Beauty Book. That is where they established the seven different face shapes that is now a standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR