Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone use a name that's not their own?

Paisley said:
Yes--Madonna. :p
OUCH!
nutkick.gif

I had meant members of the Lounge, and for functional reasons rather than publicity--not like the long-booted "Man of 1000 Faces", either.lol

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Escape From Piz Gloria
via FoxyTunes

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
When I was a kid, I swore I would go by Morgan Riley when I was famous. Why? I don't really know. But I did actually get to use it as my on-air name when I worked for a radio station, which I figured was about the closest to famous I'll ever get. lol I've decided I'd like my future nieces, nephews and grandchildren to call me Chickie, but sadly I don't think I'll be able to talk anyone else into using it.

Brooksie

One Too Many
My nick name ever since I was a baby has been Goose, my brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins all still call me Goose but absolutly no body else calls me this except sometimes my mom and dad will also.

At my last job I went by Brooksie because there was two Lisa's (me being one of them) and it got way to confusing so I went by Brooksie also the loungers that I meet call me Brooksie.

Brooksie

JennyLou

Practically Family
I have no idea why it is so popular. I was named that because my parents asked my brother to name me. He chose that name because he was young and he would hear the neighbors yell at their daughter Jennifer all the time so he named me that.
Lincsong said:
Just asking, but is the name Jennnifer popular because of the character in the novel and move Love Story? [huh]

Brooksie

One Too Many
JennyLou said:
I have no idea why it is so popular. I was named that because my parents asked my brother to name me. He chose that name because he was young and he would hear the neighbors yell at their daughter Jennifer all the time so he named me that.

Funny...because my brother was the one that came up with Goose, he was almost two and I was a month old.

B

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well...I was given a bunch of nicknames in my past...Dylan wasn't a common name back in the 90s..now it is I guess. I personally hate it..I wish I could change it but my father would have my a$$ on a platter because I'm named after his favorite singer... and my middle name Miguel...it doesn't go with my first name AT ALL! And then my last name Almendral...well my name is a conglomeration of I don't know what. When I got into reenacting...Dylan isn't a vintage name...unless ur Dylan Thomas. So the guys in my unit took my last name and translated it into "Almond" or "Almond Joy" which is my call sign when in the field in tanks in the air or on the ground. I've grown into it 4 years later.

Come to find out...my last name literally means Almond too. haha.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
GranadaGuy617 said:
Well...I was given a bunch of nicknames in my past...Dylan wasn't a common name back in the 90s..now it is I guess. I personally hate it..I wish I could change it but my father would have my a$$ on a platter because I'm named after his favorite singer...
You could avoid p!ssing off dad and still use a totally vintage name: Bob.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I tried that in 3rd grade...I turned my middle name into Bob..that didn't fly so well. And besides...Bob is like Joe I'd like something more vintage I guess. He showed me a current picture of Bob Dylan when I was 9 or so and asked why he named me after Dracula...that didn't go over well either.

:kick:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
Just asking, but is the name Jennnifer popular because of the character in the novel and move Love Story? [huh]

Interesting theory. I generally ask women around my age if they wre named after the Donovan song. Often, the answer is yes. But this probably catches the rest of them.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I have gone by Mateo to most people for many years. But for Real Estate, I use Matthew, my given name.

Had a girlfriend who was rather quirky a few years back. When she was 17 or so, she changed her name to Pony Maurice. it is the only name she ever uses. if someone asked me if I knew Sally Hamshaw, I would probably have to think for a minute who that was. She also had a different name for almost every boyfriend she had, several of them have adopted the new name for good. She must have thought my name was unusual enough, although she used to call me Tomato sometimes.

Edward

Bartender
GranadaGuy617 said:
I tried that in 3rd grade...I turned my middle name into Bob..that didn't fly so well. And besides...Bob is like Joe I'd like something more vintage I guess. He showed me a current picture of Bob Dylan when I was 9 or so and asked why he named me after Dracula...that didn't go over well either.

:kick:

lol

I'm guessing that was the mid 80s 'eyeliner period' for His Bobness? ;)

Dylan is a great name, IMO. And I'm sure there were enough people back in the day who had unusual names....

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My middle name is Anthony, and I've gone by Tony for as long as I can remember. I once asked my Mom about it and she said I preferred that name over my first name, John.

My Dad (who would have turned 103 yesterday) called me Jack. I also asked my Mom if the "John/Jack" had anything to do with the fact that I was born about two months after JFK's inauguration, but she said no.

I sign my name John A. and it does come in handy for when I get a phone call, i.e. if they call me "John" I know it's business (or bill collectors).

Lenore

Practically Family
JennyLou said:
I wish I could change mine because there are so many other 'Jennifers" .

I know the feeling. My first name is Sarah, and there are too many of us as well! (My Maid of Honor's name was Jennifer :eusa_doh: ) I fixed that by going by my middle name, which suits me much better.

Though for some reason, when I was in 7th grade, instead of thinking logically and start going by Lenore then.. I wanted to be called Ashley. *shrugs*

irb

Familiar Face
Why of course; my last name also belongs to my father. I think he stole from his father too. I come from a long line of name-thieves. ;)

I was referred to as Most Holy in high school, due to a purported resemblance to the Cerebus character. I like to think it had more to do with how the aardvark acted, not what he looked like. heh.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
OUCH!
nutkick.gif

I had meant members of the Lounge, and for functional reasons rather than publicity--not like the long-booted "Man of 1000 Faces", either.lol

I've been trying to reinvent myself as a charming person my whole life. As you can see, it hasn't been an unqualified success. :eek:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Edward said:
lol

I'm guessing that was the mid 80s 'eyeliner period' for His Bobness? ;)

Dylan is a great name, IMO. And I'm sure there were enough people back in the day who had unusual names....

Ehhhh having gone through middle school you can imagine the chiding I received. Most people just call me Dylan or Almond.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Last year in my theater class, someone thought I looked like a Timmy. So only a few people in the class called me Timmy, then they started introducing me to people as "Timmy", and it just got around. SO now most people at school call me by that name. Some people are shocked when they find out my real name is Max.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran