Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Vanson have strong Leather scent/smell?

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Does Vanson's competition weight cowhide have strong leather smell?

How does it compare to Langlitz's leather smell?

I am eyeing on Vanson jackets but strong leather scents sometimes gives me headache so I just needed to check before I make a purchase.

Thank you! =)

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
My Vanson did not have a strong leather smell...........
My 20 year old one did, but that was true, actual "old school" Competetion weight leather, that they have not used since around 2000. I would direct you to Carrie at Thurston Brothers as they handle Vanson, and she can give you a very accurate estimate of things such as this.
https://www.thurston-bros.com/collections/vanson-featured-stock
Thank you both for the fast response!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have bought four brand new jackets from Vanson over the last five years. Three of them were comp. weight leather and one was the X150.
The comp weight jackets did have a slight odor when I received them. It was not pleasant, sort of a plasticky smell. It was not a strong odor so it did not bother me much and fortunately it went away pretty quickly as well, I don’t think any of my Vanson jackets have any odor to speak of at this point.
I also have two Langlitz jackets that I purchased new and I don’t remember them having much of an odor when they arrived. Certainly neither makers jackets have the powerful odor of something like Horween CXL, a smell I truly love and one that seems to linger for a very long time.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I have bought four brand new jackets from Vanson over the last five years. Three of them were comp. weight leather and one was the X150.
The comp weight jackets did have a slight odor when I received them. It was not pleasant, sort of a plasticky smell. It was not a strong odor so it did not bother me much and fortunately it went away pretty quickly as well, I don’t think any of my Vanson jackets have any odor to speak of at this point.
I also have two Langlitz jackets that I purchased new and I don’t remember them having much of an odor when they arrived. Certainly neither makers jackets have the powerful odor of something like Horween CXL, a smell I truly love and one that seems to linger for a very long time.
Noted Thank you

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have 2 Vanson jackets bought new , and one Vintage bought used.
The new jackets did have an "odour" verging on "chemical" but it has gone now and they smell like leather.
But they do NOT smell like my Aero Highwayman steerhide or my Schott HH Horsehide jackets.
They did and still do smell much "nicer"..but they are all good.

Same for me. Bought two brand new Vanson jackets and while they did have a faint odor you'd associate with a pair of shoes, I didn't even find it noticeable in those few days that it lasted. It wasn't intense, I mean. Later on, you could still smell the leather if you stuck your nose close to it but the jacket didn't smell up the room or anything like that.

Samples I received from Langlitz actually do have a similar "leather" odor but it's also faint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto