Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage clothing attract a rude/violent response?

This incident has been repeated in many places because the rudeness and resentment is not limited to any specific area. People have an underlying unease with "different." Within any number of people there are those that are unstable and or not properly socialized. (My dad said out of every 100 people there are probably 10 that simply are to some degree plain nuts.) People are not socialized, have low or no ethics and are more prone to act out on their emotions and impulses. The fact that the one guy was drunk points towards lowered inhibitions, I have had strangers grab a hat off my head or snap my suspenders / braces. People are more likely today than 40 years ago to invade your personal space.

(Now a quick tip. There are many that will get upset and use a lot of arguments not defending the rude but will attack those that point out the improper actions of the rude. Be aware that the egalitarians will accuse you of being a snob and elitist.)

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I was at the boardwalk several years ago with my dear wife and young son. As it was the middle of the summer I decided to don my natty stripped blazer, straw boater hat and bring my vintage bamboo cane, which would have put me in good form should I have been attending the Henley Royal Regatta. While we were slowly walking and enjoying the sea breeze I ended up being on the receiving end of some less than polite remarks from a group of college age girls, which some were shall I say less than resplendent in their halter tops and neon colour spandex pants which were so tight that they were most likely put on with a 5 ton come-a-long. I just gave them no mind at all. I must add though that on this same trip I was approached by several older gentlemen that admired my attire, commented how much they enjoyed having had a straw boater when they were younger. One even asked where he could purchase one. I told him alas regrettably I did not know as I had gotten mine years ago from James Lock & Co. when I was last In London England. It was nice to have had the pleasant encounters on the heals of the rude one.

I ended up being on the receiving end of some less than polite remarks from a group of college age girls. /// I must add though that on this same trip I was approached by several older gentlemen that admired my attire, commented how much they enjoyed having had a straw boater when they were younger. One even asked where he could purchase one. I told him alas regrettably I did not know as I had gotten mine years ago from James Lock & Co. when I was last In London England. It was nice to have had the pleasant encounters on the heals of the rude one.

This also seems like a rising trend. Many of our youth today (meaning from bawling brat to 20 somethings acting like teenagers) all have an inflated sense of self. The upbringing has put an emphisis on self importance that extends to imposing on others especially when it come to their opinions. The fact they were in a group adds to the confidence that they may make loud comments or shout at others for the amusement of their peers they are with. Some kids, teens and young adults become enthralled with making fun of others and have no problems with trying to humiliate others in public.

If you have watched Doc Martin the gaggle of school girls that roams the streets of the town take great delight in making vicious / condescending remarks directed at the Doctor for the groups amusement. that is a line that gets crossed more and more today. When I was a teen most of the kids I hang out with might make fun of someone behind their backs but they had a level of empathy that prevented them from humiliating others in public or at a party. We could be mischievious but we were not cruel. Today it seems more people lack empathy and are more cruel. The funny thing is here in the US the school kids are consistantly directed to strive for individuality, to value following your heart and to not have disdain for those that are different however it seems to not be very effective.

The old saying usually has merit: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

That follows with the reaction of the older people that are positive in their remarks and are even interested.

(At the Fedora Lounge Queen Mary event this past weekend and during our visit to Retro Row 4th Street Long Beach the remarks were mostly very positive. Some of the teenage girls did giggle but they did not shout out remarks. There were no "scenes" with obnoxious people acting out. There is a thread for pictures in the Steamer trunk section, some have begun posting pix. If you'd like to see.)

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Dear Sir, I did happen to see the pictures of your event on the RMS Queen Mary. It must have been a rather enjoyable time for all. Since she is now at hotel, did any from the group stay aboard for the weekend? Also I notice that you are fellow wearer of braces, might I recommend to you the firm of Albert Thurston. They are an old English establishment that was founded in 1820, and many notable persons such a Winston Churchill got their braces there. They have a wonderful collection of styles to offer that run from formal to just plane fun. Their website is as follows: http://www.albertthurston.com/. Alas I also think your assessment on many kids today is correct. I have come across some notable exceptions, but the trend appears to be moving toward taking care of what my Mom called the “Royal We,” which is me, myself, and I. Best Wishes.

Dear Sir, I did happen to see the pictures of your event on the RMS Queen Mary. It must have been a rather enjoyable time for all. Since she is now at hotel, did any from the group stay aboard for the weekend?

Idledame has posted pictures of her suite and the Powers family had one of the larger suites. I am not sure but one or two others may have stayed aboard.

Hmmmmm. Given the number of Londoners who complain about these issues, I suspect you're a little off-beam.

There are still some civilised people here, even in unpleasant areas, but sadly they are often older people and are slowly dying out. Plus London is completely different from the rest of the UK as there are so many different people that nobody pays enough attention to anyone to make stupid comments.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I disagree. In my experience you could walk down the street in a clown suit in London and no-one would bat an eye-lid.

I suppose it depends where the street is - Shoreditch High St (or indeed Piccadilly) and you are fine, around the back of the Jasmine Allen Estate (that's the one that always has trouble in The Bill, isn't it?) probably not. I think it is one of the lovely things about London, that I can stand at a bus stop in circle skirt and cat's eye sunglasses, next to a Jewish man in a yarmulke, and an African Muslim in a white robe, next to a punk, all of us like a joke looking for a punchline and not a word will be spoken out of turn.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live in the Blue Mountains (I guess you could call it"the sticks") & I've never have a problem at all (though there are alot of rockabillies where I live, so the locals are used to us) . The only time when people were rude about how I was dressed was when I was in Sydney CBD [huh]

And I thought you were in the Appalachian Blue Mountains. I've always wanted to see those ever since I heard the song Blue Ridge Mountain Blues.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I can stand at a bus stop in circle skirt and cat's eye sunglasses, next to a Jewish man in a yarmulke, and an African Muslim in a white robe, next to a punk, all of us like a joke looking for a punchline and not a word will be spoken out of turn.

Time to put them all together, make them smile and take a photo :p

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I do miss that about London. The flipside, of course, is that someone could bash you all over the head with a baseball bat whilst passing by and no-ne would bat an eyelid either.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Puzzicato: I think it is one of the lovely things about London, that I can stand at a bus stop in circle skirt and cat's eye sunglasses, next to a Jewish man in a yarmulke, and an African Muslim in a white robe, next to a punk, all of us like a joke looking for a punchline and not a word will be spoken out of turn.

*sigh* - if only the rest of the world were the same.

davidg

New in Town
I've generally had the opposite experience. .............. They really dig my look, and I get occasional compliments.

I live in Brooklyn NY and work in Manhattan and while I don't dress ALL vintage I occasion to wear a bow tie and fedora and have rarely gotten any comments. The most obvious I've had was when I was wearing my brown fedora (just a crusher but nice) and one "gentleman" said, "you be WEARIN' that hat". In a good way! ;-)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I find its rather unpredictable what people will find "odd" or "weird" to make fun of. Two recent examples stand out.

(1) Riding up the elevator with one of my more eccentric co-workers, who has a Prince Valiant/bad guy from No Country for Old Men style bowl hair cut and carries all his paperwork in a ratty cardboard box. Yes he constantly carries all his stuff in a large box for photocopier paper, everyday. So he looks over at me (wearing a normal button up shirt, trousers, nothing vintage except my old fedora) smirks and says, "Eh, not too many people here in Hawaii wear hats. Its a bit unusual" I think to myself the proper response is, "Not too many people here carry all their crap in an old box..."

(2) Walking across the street on a day with rain that was coming and going. Again, normal clothing plus a fedora and a folded up umbrella, mind you not doing the Bertie Wooster walking with the folded umbrella as a cane, just carrying the umbrella as anyone would. A group of hair styling students crossing the street with me thought it righteous fun to make snide "Mary Poppins" comments and then to even do a passable impression of the Charlie Chaplin walk behind my back as I walked across the street.

Some people NEED to make fun of others and will find an excuse. Period.

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...Riding up the elevator with one of my more eccentric co-workers, who has a Prince Valiant/bad guy from No Country for Old Men style bowl hair cut and carries all his paperwork in a ratty cardboard box. Yes he constantly carries all his stuff in a large box for photocopier paper, everyday. So he looks over at me (wearing a normal button up shirt, trousers, nothing vintage except my old fedora) smirks and says, "Eh, not too many people here in Hawaii wear hats. Its a bit unusual" I think to myself the proper response is, "Not too many people here carry all their crap in an old box..."

lol I had a good laugh at this one!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
... A group of hair styling students crossing the street with me thought it righteous fun to make snide "Mary Poppins" comments and then to even do a passable impression of the Charlie Chaplin walk behind my back as I walked across the street...

You'd think students who are going into a fashion related career would be more open to different styles. :( Am I to assume that they will be pursuing careers at the Wal-Mart hair salon, or one of the other high end establishments after graduation? And isn't Hawaii perfect for hats? All that sunshine to keep off your head?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner