Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage clothing attract a rude/violent response?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
You'd think students who are going into a fashion related career would be more open to different styles. :( Am I to assume that they will be pursuing careers at the Wal-Mart hair salon, or one of the other high end establishments after graduation?

I frequently get asked whether I study fashion by people at my college (I wear a fedora, vintage or "classic" suit, and tie nearly every day). I'm not sure whether they are trying to imply that my clothes look like the crap that can be found in the high street shops.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
After starting back at a civilian career and finally being able to wear suits again, I decided to go formal and vintage-inspired (1930s cut, three piece, some vintage ties, etc.). It didn't take long for the comments to start! To wit:

"Why you all dressed up, where're you going?" From a local guy, a bit, well, simple I guess, with a big smile. I just told him "it's for work!"

"Wow, Sean, you're looking really sharp!" From a potential boss and fellow lawyer. Made my morning.

"You know, you're not following the Friday dress code!" From a customer in a coffee house I frequent. He's 60 if he's a day, and was wearing a polo-type shirt and shorts. He was being "friendly" in a sarcastic sort of way. I replied with a big smile "Precisely why I dress like this - so I AM THE ONE WHO LOOKS DIFFERENT!"

Again, my style doesn't "scream" vintage, just suits, mostly three piece ones, french cuffs with cufflinks, dress shoes, and occasionally a collar bar. No fedora (YET!), no violin case, but for some reason, people need to "react". Mostly in a positive way. So far...

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
I hadnt any incident because i use to wear vintage and european military clothes (pants, jackets etc...) and people think that im a fan of ZARA! (???).

zara.jpg

zara+militar.jpg

BowTieSoFly

New in Town
"Why you all dressed up, where're you going?"

Living in Florida we have a mix of national influences (among the residents). For formal wear I religiously sport a bowtie and a fairly "vintage" wardrobe, I guess classically formal is a better word. Among my circle (fairly young, like myself) I've earned the reputation for such and outside of that I usually get the "why so dressed up?" from the males and occasionally I get a compliment from a lady but I don't think I've ever gotten a rude remark.

Last edited:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I frequently get asked whether I study fashion by people at my college (I wear a fedora, vintage or "classic" suit, and tie nearly every day). I'm not sure whether they are trying to imply that my clothes look like the crap that can be found in the high street shops.

Not at all - the fashion students always look quirky and interesting. Even if you don't like the specific style the person wears, you can see that it was put together with care. In fact, the people who say that to you are paying you a compliment.

Twit

One of the Regulars
This is an odd one as I can honestly say that I don't personally recognise the UK being described here, aside from the bit about tolerance at bus stops :) which I do recognise and I think is one of the best things about the UK. I don't live in the sticks, I work in London and I'm out a lot. I think, as I've said in other threads if you actually look for issues then you'll find them, but that can be said about the world over. I don't doubt that the UK can be violent, but so can lots of other places.

I think the actual basis of the thread is the reaction to difference, as Edward has already said. Anything that is not seen as mainstream is going to provoke a reaction, either positive or negative. What we have seen in the last 10-15 years or so, in the UK, is a homogenisation of society driven by the media - Hollyoaks has a lot to answer for!! :) Anyone who engages in anything that is viewed as a subculture will come into contact with the reaction, the question isn't so much does vintage (or anything else) attract a violent or extreme reaction, as it always will do, and always has done. To me the discussion is more about people attracted to a subculture. So does it attract people who are exceptionally confident and will therefore, prompt a reaction, or does it attract people who have maybe already been marginalised, through bullying at school etc? In either one of those situations what someone looks like, or what someone wears is going to make no difference at all, its about the person and how they project themselves.

As I said, I have never had any issue at all, although I'm not extreme in what I wear or anything. I've had a lot of people talk to me about the bikes or why I don't ride like the typical power ranger, but I just talk back and probably bore them to death!! That'll teach em!!!

And yes, I think people asking if you are fashion student is a compliment! Go and hang around outside St Martins College and all will become clear!!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I don't mind being called a fashion student that much, and in some ways I wish I could turn back the clock and consider studying fashion and possibly become a designer of suits, given that my current A-level studies (or rather exams) are not going too well. And I have to agree with Puzzicato that they do make an effort to look nice. It's just a shame that a lot of classic mens looks are coming back but as womanswear rather than menswear (for example pleated trousers, dropped belt loops on trousers, trench coats, hats etc.).

I'm glad you haven't had bad experiences in the UK Twit, but perhaps you should take a visit to the East Midlands :p. Of course a range of factors are at play here, such as the disproportionally high unemployment rate which probably leads to jealousy of the wealth people seem to think I have.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I tend to take the stance these days that any day spent six feet over the ground as opposed to six feet under it, is cause enough for celebration to wear my "good clothes". As a result, if I'm going out I generally kit up as best as I can in a semivintage flair. I've never had anybody give me a rude (and certainly not a violent) response to that.

I've received numerous compliments from men and women all up and down the age-scale. One lady liked my hat, another one tried to pinch my gloves when I took them off! One man told me he'd probably knock me down and steal my pocketwatch and chain because he was so envious of it (turned out, he also collected watches).

But no, never an actual rude or violent response. Occasionally I get comments of curiosity, but that's about as far as it goes...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I tend to take the stance these days that any day spent six feet over the ground as opposed to six feet under it, is cause enough for celebration to wear my "good clothes". As a result, if I'm going out I generally kit up as best as I can in a semivintage flair.

I personally share that logic. If I'm going anywhere I'll wear a suit and tie; and if I'm just loafing around the house or going to the supermarket I'll wear flannels, a shirt, and a sport coat or leather jacket (sometimes also a tie and waistcoat depending on how I'm feeling). It's just surprising how many people view that as pretentious or snobbish given that I mostly do it for my own satisfaction.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Living in Florida we have a mix of national influences (among the residents). For formal wear I religiously sport a bowtie and a fairly "vintage" wardrobe, I guess classically formal is a better word. Among my circle (fairly young, like myself) I've earned the reputation for such and outside of that I usually get the "why so dressed up?" from the males and occasionally I get a compliment from a lady but I don't think I've ever gotten a rude remark.

Ditto here in Canada. I am a banker and always have a suit on, even on casual fridays, which is just the way I am. It always seems that important clients and executives come in on a friday so I immediately stand out, not that that is my main reason. I find suits comfortable and easy to wear and they lend a certain aura to the person wearing them especially if you wear them with confidence and ease.

Occasionally my colleagues ask when I will be wearing my tuxedo or if MI6 has me on special assignment, but it is all in good fun and not meant to be embarrassing.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I posted this over in the powder rooms "comments" section but I would love to get a fellas take on the situation. This happened 3 nights ago and I'm still pissed.

Last night I went our dancing with a friend and had a number of people (both guys and girls) tell me how much they like my dress. Not uncommon as I tend to socialize with the hipster thriftstore set, so vintage dresses and bowler hats aren't anything new to them.

But that night I've had something happen that is a new one for me.
Twice, I had guys tug on my belt or the back of my dress to get my attention as I walked by. I was sort of speechless and pretty pissed. When it happened a third time, I went a little nuts on the guy. I whirled around and said "No! This dress is 60 years old- it's almost a senior citizen! Do you go around yanking on your grandma like that?" I'm sure he had no idea what my problem was but sheesh!
Whatever happened to tapping someone on the shoulder if you want their attention?
Why on earth would anything think it's appropriate to pull on a gals clothing?

I know a lot of the men here get people grabbing at your hats and the like. How you you handle it?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
More and more people, in general, seem to be lacking in anything resembling good manners.

I was always taught not to touch people I dont know. There are other, more polite ways of getting their attention.

As far as the 60 year old dress comment, I wouldnt even have gone there. I probably would have said something like, 'Who taught you it was okay to pull on people's clothes?' probably with the same pissed-off feeling you had. But as long as you got your point across . . .

Odalisque

A-List Customer
As far as the 60 year old dress comment, I wouldnt even have gone there. I probably would have said something like, 'Who taught you it was okay to pull on people's clothes?' probably with the same pissed-off feeling you had. But as long as you got your point across . . .

If it had been a modern dress or even a good repro- I probably wouldn't have minded as much. But the fact that they were pulling on something so old (although I'm sure they had no idea it was old) chafed me. I guess that'll teach me to wear my good dresses in public :eusa_doh:

Twice, I had guys tug on my belt or the back of my dress to get my attention as I walked by. I was sort of speechless and pretty pissed. When it happened a third time, I went a little nuts on the guy. I whirled around and said "No! This dress is 60 years old- it's almost a senior citizen! Do you go around yanking on your grandma like that?

I wouldn't put it past them. They sound like just the sort to do that.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I personally share that logic. If I'm going anywhere I'll wear a suit and tie; and if I'm just loafing around the house or going to the supermarket I'll wear flannels, a shirt, and a sport coat or leather jacket (sometimes also a tie and waistcoat depending on how I'm feeling). It's just surprising how many people view that as pretentious or snobbish given that I mostly do it for my own satisfaction.

You're quite right, Eddie. It is annoying. Now I don't wear a wristwatch. I hate them. I almost never show up in public without a waistcoat and pocketwatch and it's become my little style mainstay. Occasionally I get people who ask 'Why?' or 'what is...?', but never 'WHHHY???', if you know what I mean. Never any kind of rude or violent response. But neither have I had anyone complain that I look pretentious or snobby or anything of that sort. A week or two ago I went out with friends for dinner and wore a tie...I haven't worn a tie regularly since I left highschool, but I thought I'd try it on and the response from the assembled company of comrades was all positive. And as I believe was written in someone else's signature here at the FL, 'Dress first for yourself, then perhaps for others'.

Just posted this in the "What're You Wearing Today?" thread but I'll put it here as an example...

Greyset.jpg

This is more or less what I look like whenever I head out and it's anything below about 25 degrees C. The colours may change but the general getup, never.

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I posted this over in the powder rooms "comments" section but I would love to get a fellas take on the situation. This happened 3 nights ago and I'm still pissed.

Last night I went our dancing with a friend and had a number of people (both guys and girls) tell me how much they like my dress. Not uncommon as I tend to socialize with the hipster thriftstore set, so vintage dresses and bowler hats aren't anything new to them.

But that night I've had something happen that is a new one for me.
Twice, I had guys tug on my belt or the back of my dress to get my attention as I walked by. I was sort of speechless and pretty pissed. When it happened a third time, I went a little nuts on the guy. I whirled around and said "No! This dress is 60 years old- it's almost a senior citizen! Do you go around yanking on your grandma like that?" I'm sure he had no idea what my problem was but sheesh!
Whatever happened to tapping someone on the shoulder if you want their attention?
Why on earth would anything think it's appropriate to pull on a gals clothing?

I know a lot of the men here get people grabbing at your hats and the like. How you you handle it?

I'd probably give 'em a bollocking if a girl yanked my belt on my jeans or something. I think you handled it just fine.

BowTieSoFly

New in Town
I wouldn't put it past them. They sound like just the sort to do that.

There is polite social etiquette and then there is not. I usually never initiate touch (ie a handshake) before a verbal introduction. Even outside of gentlemanly behavior it's just how I was raised... to never compromise the honor of a lady...

People always want to know why. I get a zillion questions about my attire always why's. It's usually in a condescending tone and it just upsets me. Most people give me a bit of respect because I'm usually dressed well, but when people talk down to me, especially because of how I am dressed, it just burns me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff