Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage clothing attract a rude/violent response?

I get lots of nice comments from people, especially older people. I was with my parents over at the neighbors a couple weeks ago and my mom pulled me aside to tell me how Audrey had told her how handsome she thought I was with my nice clothes and well-groomed hair, sure is nice to hear.

When I see folks dressed "period", I love it. My son and his girlfriend do WWII events and look fantastic. They also regularly wear 50's style rags.
Being in LA (Pasadena) I see lots of folks dressed old school. Keep it up. Anyone with something negative to say is small. To hell with 'em!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I just thought of what I considered a rather rude action by a MOP (Member of Public) that happened at London Waterloo station just before Christmas.

My boyfriend and I were waiting under the clock there, a popular meeting place, for our friend to join us so we could go on to a dance, dressed in late 1930s vintage. We were both looking around, not sure which direction our friend would be arriving from when I clock a guy taking photos of us. As I saw him he lowered the camera, still staring at me, so I looked away again but everytime I turned towards him he was still trying to take our picture!
If he had approached me and asked, I wouldn't have been bothered but I thought it was damned rude. Last time I just stared directly at him without breaking eye contact for some time to indicate my displeasure. He at least had the grace to look mightily uncomfortable.

Mostly we only receive nice or curious comments from people. Overall, I have to say that Central London isn't a problem, but we are much more wary in other areas, just in case. Not that we have ever had any threatening behaviour directly directed towards us, but you never know.

Gene

Practically Family
I think the only rude comment I've ever gotten is the old "Al Capone" remark which really doesn't bother me too much. Older people love it and comment about how they miss when people dressed nicely. I live in a pretty small area, so folks are pretty nice and accepting.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I live in Toronto, where I'm well accepted in the more unconventional neighbourhoods. When I visit the 'burbs, though (especially the malls), thats when I get the comments and dirty looks. My most common reaction is to blow them a kiss. :)

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
I live in Toronto, where I'm well accepted in the more unconventional neighbourhoods. When I visit the 'burbs, though (especially the malls), thats when I get the comments and dirty looks. My most common reaction is to blow them a kiss. :)

I have noticed that Toronto seems to generally be very understanding. The remarks are typically well meaning compliments.

As for the suburbs, I don't care what they think. I ignore the rubes unless they make a stupid remark then I answer them back in kind depending on their remark and level of aggression. I have noticed that groups of youths have occasionally thought it would be funny to make a remark expecting me to let it pass because of their numbers. Imagine their dismay when I politely ask them to repeat what they said and then I approach. I am not a large man, 5'10', 195 lbs, but I am bulky and muscular and walk with confidence. I haven't yet had an issue with either the dumb dumb backing down or pretending he was joking. Probably not the best approach and if I thought there was actual danger I would just walk on.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Elderly people always come up to me and compliment me, silently reminiscing (Once in the summer 2008 while I was waiting for a flight, a very old woman had gotten off the plane in a wheelchair, told me she was 97 years old, and said that I reminded her of her husband on their honeymoon in 1936, her husband had died the two years earlier in '06, she proceeded to get teary and thanked me for bringing back good memories... that stuff makes me feel good :) ). Youths my age and younger either stare, laugh, comment sarcastically, and sometimes take my hat. Adults normally compliment me. Some do nothing, or stare like the youths.

But I have started a mini trend within my circle of friends... :)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I haven't yet had an issue with either the dumb dumb backing down or pretending he was joking. Probably not the best approach and if I thought there was actual danger I would just walk on.

I hear you. Very few suburbians make nasty comments to me if they do at all (Its usually "Oh em gee you look like Katy Perry") but anyone I have approached has backed down too, and I'm half the size of you lol

(Once in the summer 2008 while I was waiting for a flight, a very old woman had gotten off the plane in a wheelchair, told me she was 97 years old, and said that I reminded her of her husband on their honeymoon in 1936, her husband had died the two years earlier in '06, she proceeded to get teary and thanked me for bringing back good memories... that stuff makes me feel good :)

I've had something like that happen to me! On Veteran's day, one of the elderly veterans said I reminded him so much of his wife when they were married after the war. It's so heartwarming :)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well last winter I was heading out to a resaurant to join my friends for a bite and this guy commented on the fac that I was wearing slacks, dress shoes, a sweater with a tie unerneath (none of it vintage by the way) that I was not dressing "Alaskan" And I had best get on it. Now his mode of dress was something along the lines of a lumberjack that lives in a metropolitan area.

I am almost consistently in some minor verbal war with an Alaskan about how to dress when I'm out and about... but this particular night had me going because it had taken the street plows almost six hours to get mobilized for a half a foot of snow. I know because I walked to work, slipping and sliding and falling all the way... and then watched out my window timing how long the trucks took to clear the road.

Back to the man who rudely told me to dress Alaskan I replied "tell you what friend, when you Alaskan's start plowing the road like you live in Alaska, I'll start dressing like I live in Alaska."

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm noticing in this discussion that men seem to attract more rude comments than ladies do... Is the modern male threatened by his well dressed counterpart?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm noticing in this discussion that men seem to attract more rude comments than ladies do... Is the modern male threatened by his well dressed counterpart?

Probably, or simply because dressing well is not considered a masculine trait these days, whereas it is more acceptable for women. Plus some older styles are back in style for women so vintage doesn't look quite as out of place for them. It's the same way with certain items of menswear, such as 60s suits which attract absolutely no comments because to the untrained eye they look like a fashion-forward modern suit.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Probably, or simply because dressing well is not considered a masculine trait these days, whereas it is more acceptable for women. Plus some older styles are back in style for women so vintage doesn't look quite as out of place for them. It's the same way with certain items of menswear, such as 60s suits which attract absolutely no comments because to the untrained eye they look like a fashion-forward modern suit.

I think you're right. A man taking care of his appearance these days includes hair gel and tanning, maybe a shave... If its a special occasion. The lawyers I work with wear suits and ties to court, but when they're around the office, they dress in shorts and t-shirts, even if it isn't Friday.
(My father is the last hold-out: He wears a jacket and tie to the office every day. :))

Gene

Practically Family
Probably, or simply because dressing well is not considered a masculine trait these days, whereas it is more acceptable for women.

Quite true. Women can pretty much get away with whatever, but god help you if you are a male not wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Gene

Practically Family
It's a manifestation of the infantilism that has pervaded our culture when dressing like an overgrown 12-year-old is considered "manly."

It's an interesting sociological development. Clinging onto your childhood seems to be the thing to do well into your 40's now. As with everything else, I blame the Baby Boom generation for the mentality of "act your shoe size, not your age" ethos.

Cue aging hippies riding Harleys while "Fortunate Son" plays in the background.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Guite a long time ago (mid 1980s) I was at a party at a friend's house. Arrived straight from work and was wearing a three-piece suit. I was the only one not dressed more casually but didn't think I was out of place. At on point a very attractive lady made her way over to me. She initially made like she was going to come on to me - moved in really close and then wispered in my ear "you're a real a** h****, aren't you?" and just walked away. Later the host said "way to go man, I saw you with (whatever her name was), she's a real looker." Yea, right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner