Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Flicka

One Too Many
I get a lot of compliments from other women, rarely from men. Mind you, Swedish men aren't all that good at compliments and for some reason I only attract the worst kind. Like the guy saying I was hot and then telling me about his high standards and that his ex was a lingerie model. Or the guy who walked up to me in a bar and said: 'I could 'do' you straight up and I have a friend who could 'do' your friend.' Um, no thanks?

My mother is always trying to set me up with women twice my age. She tells me, 'son, you have more in common with women older than you.' I'm sure she's right. It doesn't help that older women love me lol

One of our fellow loungers gave me the advice: 'you have plenty of time to date women in their forties when you're in your eighties.' lol I'm sure some of you know who that was!

My best friend is a self-proclaimed 'cougar-chaser.' He tells me all about how he's a real winner with the older gals, I've never witnessed it first hand, though!

I've never been one to put too much stock in age one way or the other, so long as there's a connection. With the average Joe, pop culture and growing up in the same period makes for a successful couple. I think that's a bit diminished when you're looking for a fellow vintage-lover.

Even though my parents were just a year apart in age, I remember my mom advising me to find someone at least seven or eight years younger. lol
can't argue with a mother's advice... ;)

But there's Lady Gaga's latest video and there's... er... er... uh, never mind

My mother is always trying to set me up with women twice my age. She tells me, 'son, you have more in common with women older than you.' I'm sure she's right. It doesn't help that older women love me lol

One of our fellow loungers gave me the advice: 'you have plenty of time to date women in their forties when you're in your eighties.' lol I'm sure some of you know who that was!

My best friend is a self-proclaimed 'cougar-chaser.' He tells me all about how he's a real winner with the older gals, I've never witnessed it first hand, though!

I've never been one to put too much stock in age one way or the other, so long as there's a connection. With the average Joe, pop culture and growing up in the same period makes for a successful couple. I think that's a bit diminished when you're looking for a fellow vintage-lover.

My grandparents (Mom's parents) were married in 1928. He was 28 and she was 18. Perhaps somebody could enlighten me further but I seem to think that such marriages were a bit more common back then than now.

My parents and my grandparents, both couples are 5 1/2 years apart. When my grandparents were married, Grandpa was 21 and Grandma was 15. It does seem like age gaps were a bit more commonplace. Many people I went to school with are starting to get married and most of them are no more than a couple years apart, if not the same age.

My grandparents (Mom's parents) were married in 1928. He was 28 and she was 18. Perhaps somebody could enlighten me further but I seem to think that such marriages were a bit more common back then than now.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My one set of grandparents were 21 and 16 when they were married; the other set were 36 and 29.

I think the big thing is that our society wasn't as age segregated as it is now. Both sets of my grandparents went to one room school houses, so they knew students outside of their age group all of their lives. In addition, religious services and community groups provided non-age segregated opportunities to meet each other.

I've seen large age gap couples who are very happy and who have made it work; however, what I have noticed is that they tend to have the same level of maturity. Which typically means that someone is either quite immature or really mature for their age, or they are a bit of both and they meet each other in the middle (one is more mature and the other is less mature than they should be, so it is kind of like an average of their ages).

Edward

Bartender
Trust me, it wasn't a pretty sight. Loud arguments at times; barely-discrete bumps, shoves, and trips on the dance floor. With some dancers, it just got too competitive.

That's the sort of thing that would put me right off the dance scene. I've only danced once outside of a class.... that with a friend to save face after the girl I'd been trying to learn to impress flat turned me down for a dance one New Year's Eve. Otherwise, the elitism of the dance crowd, especially the lindy hoppers, always put me off even trying. There used to be a thread round here where some of the hardcore dance crowd debated how to politely turn down those whom it was beneath them to dance with. I've seen plenty of sneering at dance based events, folks who are clearly long experienced taking up the floor, openly looking down on those who don't come up to scratch. Certainly a demotivating factor for me.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That's the sort of thing that would put me right off the dance scene. I've only danced once outside of a class.... that with a friend to save face after the girl I'd been trying to learn to impress flat turned me down for a dance one New Year's Eve. Otherwise, the elitism of the dance crowd, especially the lindy hoppers, always put me off even trying. There used to be a thread round here where some of the hardcore dance crowd debated how to politely turn down those whom it was beneath them to dance with. I've seen plenty of sneering at dance based events, folks who are clearly long experienced taking up the floor, openly looking down on those who don't come up to scratch. Certainly a demotivating factor for me.
I thought dancing was supposed to be a bit of fun but that sounds too much like a high school popularity contest for my liking. I'm glad that my Mrs doesn't dance as I fall into the uncoordinated two left feet camp.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I thought dancing was supposed to be a bit of fun but that sounds too much like a high school popularity contest for my liking.

More than a popularity contest: money was involved. Some of the best (and/or most ambitious) Lindy Hop dance couples made pretty good dough via "Lindy instruction camps" held all over the world, TV/film/video appearances, live shows (on Broadway, at the Hollywood Bowl, etc.), instructional video series, and more. Whenever a successful dance duo 'broke up', the money and gigs usually stopped flowing for one of the partners -- usually the female one.

Anyway, that's just about all gone now. A different time --the '90s-- rapidly fading into the past.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
More than a popularity contest: money was involved. Some of the best (and/or most ambitious) Lindy Hop dance couples made pretty good dough via "Lindy instruction camps" held all over the world, TV/film/video appearances, live shows (on Broadway, at the Hollywood Bowl, etc.), instructional video series, and more. Whenever a successful dance duo 'broke up', the money and gigs usually stopped flowing for one of the partners -- usually the female one.
Fair enough if people can make money out of it (or any talent for that matter), but the whole not dancing with inferior dance partners sounds a bit extreme.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Q:Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

A:

No more so than it just 'gets me noticed.' Wearing a vintage suit, especially with a fedora, does stand out these days - so one expects to garner a certain amount of attention, both positive and negative :)

I dare say if I dressed as a Punk Rocker, MOD or Skin head, I'd get attention too, for looking rather tribal and different.

What I have noticed is, that people REMEMBER ME when I wear the vintage clobber (especially a fedora). In a world where I have an easily 'forgettable' & pedestrian face, it's an interesting thing to be aware of that when one sports the PadMen look (because MadMen is fairly recent on TV, more modern folk currently think of it when they see a suit and a hat, that simple), people 'do remember and notice you.'

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Like the guy saying I was hot and then telling me about his high standards and that his ex was a lingerie model.

I hate guys like that who try it on with you - then insult you to "keep you on your toes" and try to make you doubt yourself - almost like a "treat them mean to keep them keen" tactic. The sad thing is this may work on more insecure women but for confident women this is so transparent and pathetic and just shows insecurity on the guy's part.....

Connery

One Too Many
Wearing "vintage " may get a person noticed, but, it is what is inside the clothing that leaves the lasting impression. Being a gentleman and treating others with respect goes much further than the finest fedora and a snarky attitude.:)

Edward

Bartender
I tried dancing once but I kept falling off my bar-stool... ;)

I have a very hazy memory of an event in a hotel near Heathrow, climbing on a table with the intention of dancing thereon. I know I made it to bed several hours later, but whatever transpired in between times is still a mystery....

It was and is extreme. The only dancers I knew who'd act that way were those who "didn't want to waste a minute of [their] precious dancefloor time" with newbies. Ridiculous.

Sadly, I've encountered that sort of mentality in all niche hobbygroups..... typically from the very same people who in the next breath whine about the decline of [hobby X], how no new people are interested anymore, how newbies don't stick around....

Q:Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

A:

No more so than it just 'gets me noticed.' Wearing a vintage suit, especially with a fedora, does stand out these days - so one expects to garner a certain amount of attention, both positive and negative :)

It's a fair point! As I remember discussing with your good self over cocktails one night, we really are the contemporary rebels when it comes to clothing. Back in November I went to see Adam Ant in London, courtesy of The Chap. In a sea of eighties fancy dress, leather, jeans and black t shirts, our little Chappist-Vintage gang really stood out. The good Mr Temple and Atters particularly got swamped by the ladies at the aftershow party. Atters looked to be very pleased indeed by this turn of events. ;)

I dare say if I dressed as a Punk Rocker, MOD or Skin head, I'd get attention too, for looking rather tribal and different.

Paddy, I would pay good money to see you in full on Westwood Seditionaries style garb!

What I have noticed is, that people REMEMBER ME when I wear the vintage clobber (especially a fedora). In a world where I have an easily 'forgettable' & pedestrian face, it's an interesting thing to be aware of that when one sports the PadMen look (because MadMen is fairly recent on TV, more modern folk currently think of it when they see a suit and a hat, that simple), people 'do remember and notice you.'

I suspect you're a little hard on yourself! ;) I agree, though, it certainly is memorable. While it is naught but pure serendipity, I have discovered I have developed a reputation within academia as one of the best dressed. It's surprising how often people notice certain details, too. In particular, it's the hats and - March through September - the co-respondents that draw attention (frankly, in the Summer months I often suspect I could go otherwise naked and noone would notice!). People certainly do notice when you've made an effort, too - in fact, it was while teaching in, of all places, Beijing last December that one of my students approached me after class and asked about wardrobe. As an example, I'd referred to buying fedoras on the web (I'm even known to students n that campus as the lecturer that wears the hat!), and he wanted to know where I did get them (I pointed him to Hats Direct). He produced a photo of himself in a three piece Dunn suit, and mentioned his interest in mid twentieth century styles. He specifically remarked that he considered me one of the few lecturers who obivously "care about how you look"- in a good way. As I say, it's amazing the places where people really do notice.

I hate guys like that who try it on with you - then insult you to "keep you on your toes" and try to make you doubt yourself - almost like a "treat them mean to keep them keen" tactic. The sad thing is this may work on more insecure women but for confident women this is so transparent and pathetic and just shows insecurity on the guy's part.....

Yeah.... and it cuts both ways too. I had a very long term and serious relationship many years ago with a girl who made semi regular mention of.... let's just say certain attributes of her previous ex. I later discovered that the guy with whom she had a fling after our engagement broke up (and I suspected at the time for whom she left me - who knows?) was given a very similar story about myself. Some people just are so insecure as to need to keep others down.

Wearing "vintage " may get a person noticed, but, it is what is inside the clothing that leaves the lasting impression. Being a gentleman and treating others with respect goes much further than the finest fedora and a snarky attitude.:)

The hat will be what gets you remembered.... the attitude will be how you're remembered.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Yeah.... and it cuts both ways too. I had a very long term and serious relationship many years ago with a girl who made semi regular mention of.... let's just say certain attributes of her previous ex. I later discovered that the guy with whom she had a fling after our engagement broke up (and I suspected at the time for whom she left me - who knows?) was given a very similar story about myself. Some people just are so insecure as to need to keep others down.

That's really quite sad - even though you might understand at the time that it stems from their insecurity it still has to be quite hurtful and unpleasant to hear that kind of thing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot