Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
A thread in the powder room got me thinking. One fine gentleman of the lounge felt that he might never meet a vintage partner, and felt that being so into vintage doomed him to be alone forever.

I got to thinking of a few of the guys I have known who are into vintage and parlayed it into an incredible appeal to women.

Certainly, it seemed to work better in San Francisco, LA or probably New York where woman are maybe a little hipper to that kind of thing. But I suspect that the guys I knew could have done it anywhere.

I would haveto say that their comfort with themselves and their style was pretty attractive. Certainly the style can be attractive to alot of women. Many women love the glamourous image of a a vintage movie and don't mind getting caught up in it.

When I lived in Seattle and always wore vintage and was the only guy in town who did. I mean thirties forties, not rockabilly. I was very comfortable with it and wnet everywhere. And while I was not exactly a lady killer, it never crossed my mind that it mattered.

In SF, I was popular in the scene, and that is almost all I did. But if I went somewhere else, I might be kind of uncomfortable or out of place. Unless we were a group of guys hitting the cool old places downtown that have certain vintage class, or maybe a slightly trendy (not punk rock for example) bar in the mission.

But I many times watched a certain Estrella brother pick up for lack of a better term, women who you would never guess would appreciate his style. That guy had the knack.

I knew a guy who was a bouncer at a punk club, knew all the rockabilly and punk and gear head crowd, but would sometimes go don to the bar in a thirties suit, homburg and his great old car. THe women loved it.

I won't mention any names, but I would guess that there are a few gentlemen of the lounge who get all the ladies attention they can handle. And in part becaue of their style, not in spite of it.

So, any thoughts?

Is it where you live? Is it all conficdance? Is it all about the right style. I think fifties single breasted might be a little less odd than thirties tight double breasted. Is it height. Oddly enough, I feel kind of funny sometimes in a vintage suit with big shoulders and such as I am 5'5". I sometimes feel if I were tall, it would look better and blend more.

Would love to hear from the women on their relationship to men who are not into vintage. I suppose it is a given on their feelings about men who are.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My boyfriend's not particularly into vintage but the aesthetic of skirts and heels and all that certainly doesn't bother him. I doubt he could ever tell the difference between something that's a 30's look and something that's a 50's look, but he thinks I look cute and that's good enough for me. :)

panamag8or

Practically Family
Sounds like your friends could pick up a girl anytime, anywhere, no matter what they were wearing.

I hate guys like that.:rage:

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:
In SF, I was popular in the scene, and that is almost all I did. But if I went somewhere else, I might be kind of uncomfortable or out of place. Unless we were a group of guys hitting the cool old places downtown that have certain vintage class, or maybe a slightly trendy (not punk rock for example) bar in the mission.

:eek:fftopic:

I just have to pick up on this..... the only reason this would have been an issue would be if the kids that frequented that venue had totally missed the point of punk rock, and had adopted a uniform - as sadly happens all too often. Often, the genuinely most punk rock thing you can do is to dress as non-"punk" as you can..... Heh. Anyhow, if any punk kids ever try to make you feel uncomfortable for wearing vintage, do point out that Johnny Rotten back in the day used to prefer high waisted, baggy and pegged trews over jeans, and wore them at least as often as Westwood bondage trews... ;)

Back to the topic, my experience has been that ladies always love a man who knows how to dress well (at least, ladies with taste), though it doesn't necessarily up one's chances of a lady being specifically romantically interested in one. If I saw two otherwise equally attractive ladies in a bar, it would be the vintage styled one (be that anywhere from 30s through fifties, as well as later psychobilly styles. Predominantly not sixties, though) rather than her contemporary counterpart that I would find the more captivating one... I guess that's just the aesthetic that does it for me. [huh]

lyburnum

Practically Family
I actually gotta admit I'm not into that whole rockabilly look a lot of guys do who are into the 50s thing like me. I don't know - perhaps too greasy for me? I like guys who just dress smart, and who are confident with themselves. I'm kinda a sucker for the poindexter look. A big pair of thick framed glasses always steals my heart.

I've never really got to know any other vintage men (or ladies for that matter) very well, so all the feedback I've got is from guys who aren't interested in vintage. Pretty much all of them agree they find the vintage look on women far too 'high maintenance', which personally I think just shows a woman looks after herself [huh] However, even my boyfriend thinks it's too high maintenance. The only male attention I get on the street other than from my boyfriend, is from elderly men reminiscing about when their wives looked like me back in the day!

Edward

Bartender
lyburnum said:
I've never really got to know any other vintage men (or ladies for that matter) very well, so all the feedback I've got is from guys who aren't interested in vintage. Pretty much all of them agree they find the vintage look on women far too 'high maintenance', which personally I think just shows a woman looks after herself [huh] However, even my boyfriend thinks it's too high maintenance. The only male attention I get on the street other than from my boyfriend, is from elderly men reminiscing about when their wives looked like me back in the day!

High maintenance? I don't know, I think that's more a state of mind than anything. The vintage scene ladies I've known are no more high maintenance than the average non-scene lady. By far and away the most high maintenance are always the slaves to contemporary fashion - wanna-be WAG types especially.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
:eek:fftopic:

I just have to pick up on this..... the only reason this would have been an issue would be if the kids that frequented that venue had totally missed the point of punk rock, and had adopted a uniform - as sadly happens all too often. Often, the genuinely most punk rock thing you can do is to dress as non-"punk" as you can..... Heh. Anyhow, if any punk kids ever try to make you feel uncomfortable for wearing vintage, do point out that Johnny Rotten back in the day used to prefer high waisted, baggy and pegged trews over jeans, and wore them at least as often as Westwood bondage trews... ;)

Back to the topic, my experience has been that ladies always love a man who knows how to dress well (at least, ladies with taste), though it doesn't necessarily up one's chances of a lady being specifically romantically interested in one. If I saw two otherwise equally attractive ladies in a bar, it would be the vintage styled one (be that anywhere from 30s through fifties, as well as later psychobilly styles. Predominantly not sixties, though) rather than her contemporary counterpart that I would find the more captivating one... I guess that's just the aesthetic that does it for me. [huh]

Firstly, I agree about the traditionla punk aesthetic. Back in the early eighties, ther was a cool mix of punk, mod, rockabilly, fifties kitchy etc. Pretty much, if you wre creative and cool, it was appreciated.

But with the younger set, it is different. And yes, I shouldn't care. But if I want to feel not out of place, or meet a woman who might frequent a place like that, I don't want to put them off. of course, if you have the comfort and confidance, you probably won't.

And, as afar as the younger set, many do not appreciate a well dressed guy. they don't get how unique and "rebellious" it might be.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Edward said:
High maintenance? I don't know, I think that's more a state of mind than anything. The vintage scene ladies I've known are no more high maintenance than the average non-scene lady. By far and away the most high maintenance are always the slaves to contemporary fashion - wanna-be WAG types especially.

I think, and I could be wrong, that by "high maintenence", she means that it takes too much effort to keep up the vintage look, since vintage-minded women actually do more than throw on a hoodie and flip-flops to go out in public.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:

YOu apparently have nev er seen vintage swing dance girls get ready for a bigdance. The clothes not so much. But those hair rolls. Oh my. Not that other women are any different. Some are high maintenance and some aren't.

I do think that whatever your look is, punk rock, dressy, cowboy, you have to be comfortable as a guy. Women will pick up on that and women want a guy who is comfortable with himself. I think guys care less about that on meeting a woman and don't pick it up as well.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
reetpleat...

...this is pretty dated, but relevant.

30 years ago, in the early 80s I used to go out sometimes in a three piece 30s cut suit. I'll never forget it. It had a vest with lapels. I paired it up with a silver belly fedora. Boy did I do well...

My buds were amazed.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Vintage- play or no play?

I'll chime in on this too!
I have some perspective on this, since I spent most of my life in the midwest, then recently moved to Southern Cali.
In the midwest, I do think vintage was a turn-OFF. People saw it as a distraction, a novelty, or just something I "needed to grow out of." Over time a few people got to know ME, and realized I was working from the inside out- that is, my tastes, styles, hobbies, etc, came out through my clothing. I do, afterall, make some of this clothing myself!
Moving out here, it's definitely more accepted. I don't know if it's because people are "open" or simply "indifferent", and I'm sure it varies from person to person. Consequently it's tougher to find anything worth buying at a decent price....
Someone mentioned being comfortable and I think that's HUGE. For one, even if I didn't actually wear vintage, I would probably buy modern clothing of the same cut and style; I just like it. I think some people wear the clothing, while for others, the clothing wears them; if it expresses who you are, then it becomes a second skin. If it's wearing you, you are trying to use it to define you. Women will read through this within a conversation.
Funny, (swing) dancing is a metaphor for life- you can get ANY woman to dance with you once; whether she dances again is the true question. ;)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I get hit on and told I'm attractive WAY more since I've started dressing vintage and rockabilly/psychobilly (when I'm feeling more casual). I think part of it is the confidence and part of it is that it's a style that truly enhances my features best. I also find that when men hit on me, as opposed to any of my friends who dress more modern, they seem to do it in a more complimentary or friendlier way.

It's a nice change, but it does get annoying and awkward sometimes since I'm pretty shy by nature.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I think...

...Loungers should be happy that everyone is willing to spot us all those extra points with the opposite sex. I may be "out of the game" so to speak, but I still get lots of attention -- and I'm old and beat up!

You really stand out when you go with the classics -- both men and women. The classic styles complement everyone's physiques better.

It ain't fair...ain't it great!!!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always dress vintage or vintage style and never had any problem when I was single with the opposite sex. But I HAVE been told, on more than one occasion, things like: "You would look so much BETTER if you would just dress normal."
(And here I thought I WAS dressed normal, but whatever.)
So I have done well at times in spite of my style.

panamag8or

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I always dress vintage or vintage style and never had any problem when I was single with the opposite sex. But I HAVE been told, on more than one occasion, things like: "You would look so much BETTER if you would just dress normal."
(And here I thought I WAS dressed normal, but whatever.)
So I have done well at times in spite of my style.

I was out last night, in a baseball cap, and a lady stared at me for a minute... then told me she didn't recognize me with out my "funny hat".:(

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't really dress vintage other than a good hat, but I do like a rather "preppy" or ivy league look with oxford shirt, slacks and shined dress or casual shoes. I think that wears well in public. During the summer I'm big on golf shirts and slacks with a Panama.

My wife met me long before I started wearing vintage hats, so I can't attribute anything in that department to them. I think that someone who takes a bit of care with his/her appearance will at least be seen as approachable by others - and that's enough for a start.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dakotanorth said:
I'll chime in on this too!
I have some perspective on this, since I spent most of my life in the midwest, then recently moved to Southern Cali.
In the midwest, I do think vintage was a turn-OFF. People saw it as a distraction, a novelty, or just something I "needed to grow out of." Over time a few people got to know ME, and realized I was working from the inside out- that is, my tastes, styles, hobbies, etc, came out through my clothing. I do, afterall, make some of this clothing myself!
Moving out here, it's definitely more accepted. I don't know if it's because people are "open" or simply "indifferent", and I'm sure it varies from person to person. Consequently it's tougher to find anything worth buying at a decent price....
Someone mentioned being comfortable and I think that's HUGE. For one, even if I didn't actually wear vintage, I would probably buy modern clothing of the same cut and style; I just like it. I think some people wear the clothing, while for others, the clothing wears them; if it expresses who you are, then it becomes a second skin. If it's wearing you, you are trying to use it to define you. Women will read through this within a conversation.
Funny, (swing) dancing is a metaphor for life- you can get ANY woman to dance with you once; whether she dances again is the true question. ;)

While LA is so casual, you do get some negative reaction, but athte same time, teh whole town is built on showmanship nd make believe. San Francisco, while not so much a show biz town, is so varried, a little more formal, but also has a long history of quirkiness and anything goes. So vintage plays well in both cities.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dressing vintage has gotten me some play, though it never leads to anywhere (and by anywhere I mean a serious relationship, nothing else :rolleyes: ).

However, play is still play. Most of the females who react positively to my 'vintageness' aren't the type I'm looking for, though I am still a gentleman to them. Also, as I found out a couple days ago, I have a secret admirer on campus who wrote me that my dressing up "makes my (her) day".

So I do get play, everything from 'naughty' smiles and looks to anonymous admirers. I'm still looking for the play that will lead somewhere but for now I'll take the play that I've been getting ever since I've started being vintage.

Billy

panamag8or

Practically Family
A cute girl at the bar tonight called me the "Mad Hatter". But hey, she was 22 at the most, so what does she know? (i'll duck now)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Pidg you took the words right out of my mouth!! DITTO!!

And as for the guys dressing vintage.. I think it's just attractive that men dress nice and can pick out an outfit for themselves. Women can tell...
I know this girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man!
Nikki

pigeon toe said:
I get hit on and told I'm attractive WAY more since I've started dressing vintage and rockabilly/psychobilly (when I'm feeling more casual). I think part of it is the confidence and part of it is that it's a style that truly enhances my features best. I also find that when men hit on me, as opposed to any of my friends who dress more modern, they seem to do it in a more complimentary or friendlier way.
It's a nice change, but it does get annoying and awkward sometimes since I'm pretty shy by nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner