Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I certainly get more compliments dressing this way - but only from older women and gay men. I NEVER get hit on, never ever, and a lot of my male friends say they think the vintage look is intimidating.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Living in a rural area like I do - I think that many women probably think I'm a gay meterosexual...[huh] despite always wearing my beard and keeping my hair cut in a decent WWII German style (half for event reasons, but mainly because I look very good this way).

AtomicEraTom said:
Living in rural Wisconsin, I think it does me more harm than good, granted I have a wonderful lady in my life right now, but it took a lot of work to find an antique collecting, country music listening, small-town loving gal to match up with this relic.

I've always tried to dress in a put-together fashion, well groomed, and clean shaven. Most girls like the 'fresh out of bed' look. The biggest complaint I get, is I remind women of their fathers or more often, their grandfathers. I listen to old music, dress old-fashioned, work in a factory, drive a Crown Victoria. I'm 19, and the average 19 year old's grandfather, not a big turn on for most of the ladies.

When I 'country' up my look, I get a lot more attention from women around here. Throw on a plaid shirt and a ball cap and watch them go crazy. Someday they'll grow up and like fedoras, suits, and brylcreem.

My situation is similar to AET but without the girlfriend.

I think reetpleet's friend could pick up a woman no matter what he wore. So my conclusion is that clothes may help a little but it is the person you have to sell. Unfortunately, my look/interests are not in high demand. Depressing at times but I endeavor to persevere. I cannot let fools change me.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I... live in Juneau, so does it get me play? No.

I'm in a constant battle here for the people to acknowledge the idea that just because you live in Alaska it is not okay to wear mudboots as an accessory to a suit (yes that happens!)

The women up here, well it does not take much to impress them, so I don't think they know what to think of me when I walk about town in with merely a tucked in button down shirt and tie... or a suit... or any hat other than a fedora.

I imagine they respond with incredulity.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Prien said:
I am guessing that this is geared towards the men? If so - that comment really cheered me up...as it is rather apparent that I've been doing quite a bit of weeding where I'm at...:rolleyes: :D

I get that too...
huh.gif

I think my situation is much like AtomicEraTom's - around here women want the more 'country' type look...but that isn't who I am. That's not what I am. They want jeans, t-shirt, and baseball cap...sorry but that isn't 'me'...and I'm not the type to change who and what I am just to make someone else happy.

I believe I can relate to both of your situations, AtomicEraTom and Prien, at least somewhat. I have suspected for some time now, that my immediate family likely views my (to them anyway, I've been interested for a few years) sudden fascination with fedoras and old style as something of an affectation. My siblings especially, think this way.

To put it simply, I just don't see myself as a t-shirt, shorts, or baseball cap guy. I generally tend to go for something of a modern business casual look, (chino pants, oxford shirt, polo, short-sleeve button-up shirt) usually paired with some element of vintage attire (hat, hairstyle, or jacket).

As unusual as it seems for a man of twenty, girl friends aren't exactly my priority right now. No, I'm not homosexual. I view my college education as being far more worthy of my time, rather than going in the pursuit of that near-perfect bride-to-be, right now. I think I'd be content as staying single for at least a decade, perhaps a lifetime if that's something I wouldn't mind.

Chas

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I certainly get more compliments dressing this way - but only from older women and gay men. I NEVER get hit on, never ever, and a lot of my male friends say they think the vintage look is intimidating.

If you visit Vancouver and we are at the same event, I will notice you, for sure. Depending on what is going on, I may hit on you. I lie; I will hit on if you are not with 2+ girlfriends or some other precondition rules out the game. I always notice vintage gals.

Vintage probably sets me up for more play than I am getting. Probably because I'm a bit oblivious to when women are hitting on me. Which, according to my female friends, is a lot. I find out after the fact. Which is very strange.

Then again, Vancouver women are not as "Up Front" as others are. So it ain't just me.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
That's about the strength of it , i have a better gay following than Joan Collins in my neck of the woods!

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Original Poster "But I many times watched a certain Estrella brother pick up for lack of a better term, women who you would never guess would appreciate his style. That guy had the knack."

I must ask; What is An Estrella Brother?
Is it one several siblings? Bob Estrella, Ed Estrella, Sven Estrella and little Stella Estrella?
Or does it mean something different?

Dear Mr. Vim,
Regarding the women of Juneau being "easily impressed". My FAMILY is from Juneau. My Mother is from Juneau. My Cousins and their daughters are from Juneau.
On their behalf, let me assure you, they are not "easily impressed".

Do you let the ladies of Juneau in on your opinion of them?

Miss Crisplock

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Miss Crisplock, I do not personally know your relatives and did not go out of my way to insult them.

I'm not attacking anyone here, I'm just saying that from my experience, the women here choose men who I think "they must have a good personality" and then I meet the men and I realize that's not true either.

If this is so offensive, then well, prove me wrong. I would love to be proven wrong. I am dead serious. You find some gal that lives here and have them contact me... because right now, the logical fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc is well in play here.

As a caveat, it says in my signature in german, this is my opinion, I could be wrong.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Mr Vim said:
Miss Crisplock, I do not personally know your relatives.

You don't know that.

the women here choose men who I think "they must have a good personality" and then I meet the men and I realize that's not true either.

Included in the group of "men from Juneau" are that you claim "don't have a good personality" are my Father, Several Uncles, and a fair number of cousins and their sons. Let's not forget my best friends Father, Uncles, cousins, and second cousins, etc.

So, you've managed to insult everyone, all ladies and gentlemen from that city, based on the fact that women are not flocking to you. Hmmm. Now why would ugly, unpleasant and ill clad men find romance and joy in Juneau, and yet even easily impressed ladies pass by your handsome and personable self?

Maybe it's not the clothes.

My .02

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss sofia said:
I have a better gay following than Joan Collins in my neck of the woods!
I would guess that you have more straight stalkers than you could possibly be aware of.;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Heels and skirts make me feel cute...and it probably gives an aesthetic advantage when compared with velour trackpants. But really I think its just the feeling cute.

And maybe the girlishness of red lipstick and a sundress encourages a certain subset of the male population to flirt a bit more. I notice more doors held and more half-joking flirtation when I am dolled up.

I know my husband liked that I was "girlier" than other girls he knew. [huh] But that's not vintage, really, and I don't think he knows a decade-by-decade breakdown at all. Its just contrasting with very sweatpants-and-jeans looks that are common here.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I'd say I'm doing ok 'despite' my love for vintage... :rolleyes:

One would think that, in a city as big as Berlin, a vintage-styled look would not catch any special attention - yet I'm sure to get the odd look as soon as I'm leaving my house. The problem with Berlin is that has become such an incredibly hip place, even more so in the area where I live. If people can identify you as part of some kind of cultural sub-species (trendy or not) they're more or less fine. If you stand out on you own, they're lost. And sometimes it shows in the way they're eyeballing you. At the moment Berlin is literally swamped with students from Italy and - espcially - Spain, of which many feature the 'long hair at the back, short fringe at the front' look from the 80's, paired with skinny pants. Sometimes it's actually hard to tell the difference between boys and girls. With such a backdrop you're sure to catch attention if you go vintage. And I found that it makes a lot of people actually feel a bit uneasy, especially if they're younger. Women in particular seem to like the fact that you're well dressed but they do sometimes have difficulties if you're wearing a suit, especially if it is vintage - high waisted pants in the age of sagging...! :eek: ;)

Ok, so this came out as a more general observation of Berlin...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I would guess that you have more straight stalkers than you could possibly be aware of.;)
I have to own up to slight simpering then when i read that (bad girl, stop it, horrid), but thanks! Actually i think Mario made a valid point when he said it makes some people feel uneasy, i live in a small town, very tourist-orientated, so i am aware that i do stick out like a sore thumb when i step out in full vintage or vintage inspired garb. Even before i made the effort to fully embrace that part of myself, i have always enjoyed dressing well and not really followed current trends much, so to the masses perhaps they see me as a bit of an oddity, i don't know. I just don't get hit on by guys much round here, perhaps i look intimidating because i'm too done up, or i'm too out of their sphere of influence of what a woman should look like, because they are too used to a mainstream look, i haven't given it much thought really, anyway the pensionable age men and women are always very complementary and the gay fellas, so i dine out on that! I'm happy with my lot in life at the mo' and that's what important.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss Crisplock said:
You don't know that.

the women here choose men who I think "they must have a good personality" and then I meet the men and I realize that's not true either.

Included in the group of "men from Juneau" are that you claim "don't have a good personality" are my Father, Several Uncles, and a fair number of cousins and their sons. Let's not forget my best friends Father, Uncles, cousins, and second cousins, etc.

So, you've managed to insult everyone, all ladies and gentlemen from that city, based on the fact that women are not flocking to you. Hmmm. Now why would ugly, unpleasant and ill clad men find romance and joy in Juneau, and yet even easily impressed ladies pass by your handsome and personable self?

Maybe it's not the clothes.

My .02

Sensitive much?

This is an 'in my experience thread'....

He gave his experiences, which are indeed his.

You took that as some personal affront to you and yours, which it was not.

Just because you do not like it, his experiences are not invalidated because you think your family are shining stellar examples of society up there.

I would suggest you learn to let things and experiences of others side off your back a bit more unless they are an actual personal insult.

This time it wasn't.

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
When it comes to men, I would definitely pick the well groomed vintage dressed gent over his modern friend any day, but perhaps that is because I dress vintage, and you tend to be drawn to someone with similar interests as yourself.

Do I get hit on more than I used to before I dressed like this? It's hard to say. I think the type of person who 'hits on me' has changed, and their approach has too. I now get alot more compliments, rather than before I may have had idiotic or perverse attempts at getting my attention. People are more inclined to comment because they may not be familiar with the look and are genuinely interested. Alot more business men in suits tend to give me the eye too I've noticed. ;)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Vim, I actually had a good laugh about the mudboots. [huh]

I don't know about you folks, but there's not enough time in the world to ensure I'm appeasing everyone when I post something on here.

I hate when someone takes a perfectly good generalization and twists it into an arrow directed towards their own heart. shakeshead

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
@ J B: I think if I were in a better area, I'd have a far better chance...because for me, it's not just my 'vintage/retro lifestyle' but also my other interests (spirituality, natural healing, etc.)...and where I live, this small town of approx. 5,000 people there's around 10 churches...so - it's "anything and everything" where it concerns me.

Just like I'm not a baseball cap, t-shirt, jeans type...I'm not the church type either...

I'd probably do better living in a more 'varied' area like places in CA, or even here on the U.S. East Coast.

My focus isn't trying to meet the 'right woman' either at the moment, but just trying to take care of my health and help myself heal more.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm married, but I've been hit on in the bar. I've been told that my "1918 look" is "hot" (LOL -- I was looking more 40s/50s at the time!)

Mostly I get compliments from older women, black women, and gay men. That's ok with me, though. They have always been the nicest to me when it comes to my style and interests :D

D

Deleted member 12480

wheres the powder room version of this thread? theres something i want to post in it. xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk