Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

HepKitty

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
He also said that it was kind of 'weird' to dress vintage, although i genuinely believe he thought he was giving 'advice' - he wasn't trying to hurt my feelings.

Feeling Blue :(

I want to know what is so "weird" about dressing well and having class. at least he says that he still supports you and shouldn't change for him... that says something right?

Puzzicato AET DB and vintage are right, be your own fabulous self, even if that includes victory rolls

D

Deleted member 12480

Oh! Sorry guys, i've been away this weekend, thankyou for your help! xxx

Bear in mind, though, that some of that advice comes from a guy whose only relationship ever was with a girl who hired him as an employee to protect her from a stalker, and thus may or may not be as sage as it seems.:eek:

@HepKitty: Your situation sounds like a really good time to have a bulky, dark-suited (preferably black suit with black shades and tie) "professional friend" in tow...;) lol

D

Deleted member 12480

I believe the 'weirdness' was because I am the only person in my age-bracket around here that dresses this way. He's a very modern kind of guy!

And advice is advice, and sound advice at that. :)
xx

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deleteduser said:
I believe the 'weirdness' was because I am the only person in my age-bracket around here that dresses this way. He's a very modern kind of guy!

And advice is advice, and sound advice at that. :)
xx

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but the above comment made me think of something I wanted to ask. Why is it that a younger person can paint their hair orange, wear all kinds of miss-matched, outrageous clothing (or lack thereof), have so many facial piercings that they look like a walking bass plug and do not receive a single negative comment. However, if they wear a coat and tie or a nice dress or woman's suit, they are labeled as being "weird"?

I just don't understand. [huh]

Some of us call it the Law of Declining Standards--it's the same thing as how in some union-shops, you'll see a new guy giving it everything he's got and the rest of the crew who are content to do bare-minimum have to make his life miserable and try to oust him 'cause he, just by putting in real effort and without any intent to, shows them to be the slackers they are for all to see.

Derek WC

Banned
Big man, I can answer your question because I am a teenager.

Why that is possible, is because it is trendy, hip, and fashionable.
For example, there is this one girl in my school who wears sharkskin like skateboard shoes, purple jeans with rips all along the front, and a red and white sweatshirt, and nobody casts a blind eye in her direction.

Me though, I wear a suit every day to school and what do I get?
"Are you in the mafia?" "Hey ma' mob!" "Hey, I heard you have a cowboy hat (Reference to my fedora)."

Teenagers are an odd breed.

Edit:
Ahh, seems like Diamondback beat me to it. Well said.

Derek WC

Banned
Diamondback said:
Time ta break out da ole Brando impression:
"Da last poi-son ta harass me about dat is sleepin' wit' da fishes. Capisce?"
lol

lol Just about made me bust a gut! Cant't stop laughing.

Back to the subject at hand, girls don't like greasy hair, and they don't like suits either, at least in my previous experiences.

Big Man

Derek WC said:
... Teenagers are an odd breed ...

It's not just teenagers. I worked for 30 years at a State psychiatric hospital. For the last 20 or so years I worked, I wore a suit and tie (and fedora) just about every day. I would get comments from co-workers about "dressing funny" or "are you going to a funeral". However, I do not recall a single negative comment from the PATIENTS. Without exception, they all called me "sir" and apparently equated being well dressed with authority.

Oh well, enough off-topic. Thanks for the insight.

Derek WC said:
lol Just about made me bust a gut! Cant't stop laughing.

Back to the subject at hand, girls don't like greasy hair, and they don't like suits either, at least in my previous experiences.

I wouldn't be too concerned about what teenage girls like. This is the same lot who think Lady Gaga is a fashion trendsetter and vampires are shiny.

Derek WC

Banned
Son_of_Atropos said:
I wouldn't be too concerned about what teenage girls like. This is the same lot who think Lady Gaga is a fashion trendsetter and vampires are shiny.

lol Good point there. Although I DO plan on marrying and having a couple of kids, I'm pretty sure that will be to nobody in my school.

Big Man

After giving it some thought, I do believe every girl I ever dated was dressed head to toe in 1970's attire, and so was I. Of course it was the 1970's ... :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
@HepKitty: Your situation sounds like a really good time to have a bulky, dark-suited (preferably black suit with black shades and tie) "professional friend" in tow...;) lol

don't forget the little ear thingy lol

Derek don't be in any rush for marriage and kids... take your time! oh and don't bother changing your style, we like class around here even if your classmates have no clue

Big Man, maybe you should have made your coworkers trade positions with the patients!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
lol Nah--when I worked a detail, I was the detail with no backup, and thus there was no need for comms with other agents. The bulge in the armpit/waistline (depending on the day's chosen carry method) from my .45 created even more "Not To Be Trifled With" look, anyway.:eek:

lol wow that would scare off all attention then... but oh well if it's all ikky attention, no loss!

lol :eek:fftopic: Yeah, even if you have a huge frame-size for your height, when you're sawed-off like me you'd be surprised at how much offset to being a smaller person carrying a BFG (licensed of course, along with knowing how and most of all when to use it) provides when you're on a Personal Protection Detail...:eek: :D

Derek WC

Banned
HepKitty said:
Derek don't be in any rush for marriage and kids... take your time! oh and don't bother changing your style, we like class around here even if your classmates have no clue

Oh I'm not, I'm only 15. I don't intend on changing the way I dress, or even muting it down. A fedora, double breasted jacket with bold white pinstripes, and a pair of black and white spectators, with a red tie that has hand painted ducks fits me just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points