Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Derek WC said:
lol Just about made me bust a gut! Cant't stop laughing.

Back to the subject at hand, girls don't like greasy hair, and they don't like suits either, at least in my previous experiences.

I'm a teenager (19) and I can say that although I don't really like greasy hair, I love suits. So don't give up hope. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
Maybe this is a little off-topic, but the above comment made me think of something I wanted to ask. Why is it that a younger person can paint their hair orange, wear all kinds of miss-matched, outrageous clothing (or lack thereof), have so many facial piercings that they look like a walking bass plug and do not receive a single negative comment. However, if they wear a coat and tie or a nice dress or woman's suit, they are labeled as being "weird"?

I just don't understand. [huh]

I used to dress "freaky" and I got all kinds of comments. [huh] Not so much now that I dress vintage (and live in the city). If I went back to my hometown you're made fun of if you don't have on tight 80s jeans and a flannel shirt. lol

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
In short, yes.

There are few women (at least to whom I'm attracted) that can resist a well-mannered, well-dressed man, a well-aged scotch and some Frank on the record player. It's damn near magic.

metropd

One Too Many
I think a lot of it is a numbers game, and your environment. If you are in a cosmopolitan environment, a larger city or in a certain scene, the chances are much greater for an individualistic or unique dressing style to be appreciated . Also, if you are comfortable in your own skin in Vintage clothing, and know what you want in life you will get what you want. Before I turned 21, I was not as sure what I wanted in life or who I was as a person. Now that I have confidence through my experiences and have put my ambitions into practice, I feel completely natural in my own skin and my style has evolved. I have a very positive and optimistic view of the world and in humanity. This positive attitude keeps me going as I am the only one I know of with my style In San Diego. Man or women. I believe your environment is what you make of it. I find it is very easy to find ladies who appreciate my vintage style or anyone who has any unique qualities even if it is in such a homogeneous society. I think people in general will appreciate an individual who expresses themselves in an individualistic manner (vintage clothing), as long as its sincere and authentic and done confidently. Knowing what you what, and making an effort to achieve this, is a very attractive trait, especially when its done in style.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I'm not about getting play (married next summer!) but I definitely get more attention/glances/smiles since I've started wearing fedoras full time. And from ladies who would have been outta my league when I was still on the market.

I don't really do a full vintage thing, but choose fairly timeless cuts (dockers classics, wing tips, pendletons, etc.) mixed with vintage (like guayaberas, jackets, coats, etc.) I check out senior citizens on the street for fashion tips.

I think being a dressy guy who doesn't look like he's going to prom or "pimping" catches attention these days since so many people still do the "just woke up fem boy" look. The whole "Mad Men chic" thing has made a classic look sexier today, too.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here in L.A., if I dress Bold Look (full-draped jackets, big lapels, baggy/pleated trousers, wide ties, etc.), I'll get compliments mostly from Black men and older women; from everyone else, mostly stares...When I put on "Mr. T."/Italian-cut clothing (i.e. tighter-fitting jackets, with narrower lapels, trouser legs, and neckties), I will get compliments from just about all age/ethnic groups, including the younger ladies. It's not that I can't pull off the Bold Look (I'm 6', 178lbs), but the "Mr. T." style likely appears more modern-looking and streamlined to most people, and I think modern gals prefer that (except, perhaps, here on the Lounge:eek:). When a woman is dressed vintage, I always check her out, and if we're both dressed vintage, we often will find ourselves in a game of "I'm looking at you--no, I'm not," until one us of starts a conversation.:rolleyes: (As an addendum, neither style works in places like San Rafael, bastion of old hippies...)

Edward

Bartender
Widebrim said:
. It's not that I can't pull off the Bold Look (I'm 6', 178lbs), but the "Mr. T." style likely appears more modern-looking and streamlined to most people,

Well, if you look like this I certainly wouldn't want to give the impression I thought you were anything less than the very epitome of style....

mr-t.jpg

HepKitty

One Too Many
metropd said:
I think a lot of it is a numbers game, and your environment. If you are in a cosmopolitan environment, a larger city or in a certain scene, the chances are much greater for an individualistic or unique dressing style to be appreciated . Also, if you are comfortable in your own skin in Vintage clothing, and know what you want in life you will get what you want. Before I turned 21, I was not as sure what I wanted in life or who I was as a person. Now that I have confidence through my experiences and have put my ambitions into practice, I feel completely natural in my own skin and my style has evolved. I have a very positive and optimistic view of the world and in humanity. This positive attitude keeps me going as I am the only one I know of with my style In San Diego. Man or women. I believe your environment is what you make of it. I find it is very easy to find ladies who appreciate my vintage style or anyone who has any unique qualities even if it is in such a homogeneous society. I think people in general will appreciate an individual who expresses themselves in an individualistic manner (vintage clothing), as long as its sincere and authentic and done confidently. Knowing what you what, and making an effort to achieve this, is a very attractive trait, especially when its done in style.

very good points. I live in a terrible area for this sort of thing (and for dating) so I've decided not to care anymore. a lot of negative comments will only bother you if you let them

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
It's not just teenagers. I worked for 30 years at a State psychiatric hospital. For the last 20 or so years I worked, I wore a suit and tie (and fedora) just about every day. I would get comments from co-workers about "dressing funny" or "are you going to a funeral". However, I do not recall a single negative comment from the PATIENTS. Without exception, they all called me "sir" and apparently equated being well dressed with authority.

Oh well, enough off-topic. Thanks for the insight.

Very interesting story, Big Man...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just want to cheer deleteduser up when I read her posting. Don't be blue, brave girl.
Your boyfriend is honest and doesn't want to hurt you. (better than runnin off to some hipster girl and not saying a thing, non?)

Maybe you could find out what special items in your wardrobe he does like or not? Maybe high waisted trousers not but dresses? I don't think you should change your style all the way. That sounds weak and indecisive. Every gentleman should want a lady with a mind of it's own not just a paperdoll. I don't think he would be one of this guys.

I understand that youre worried...don't be. :)

I don't have to say much about my own "play". A gentleman should remain silent and enjoy. Hahaha.

In general: I really met interesting people through this shared love for vintage clothing and swing music. (internet helps. also does swing dance events) Some of them where women.
But most of my friends are still punkrockers and northern soul skinheads. I think they like my style and accept it as another non-mainstream subculture. I don't know what the MTV-style folks say about me and I couldn't care less.

So all in all I am very confident with that style and it's impact on other people.:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Back when I was single, the aroma of my pipe tobacco smoke used to get me play. Seriously.

The problem with vintage is that it tends to get you play with vintage'd ladies, some of whom unleash manic-depressive drama queen behavior when you're already "hooked". Unfortunately, it's those wacky ones who tend to be the most, er, passionate and, um, exploratory. The price we pay! :rolleyes:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
... it's those wacky ones who tend to be the most, er, passionate and, um, exploratory. The price we pay! :rolleyes:

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it ...

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Back when I was single, the aroma of my pipe tobacco smoke used to get me play. Seriously.

The problem with vintage is that it tends to get you play with vintage'd ladies, some of unleash manic-depressive drama queen behavior when you're already "hooked". Unfortunately, it's those wacky ones who tend to be the most, er, passionate and, um, exploratory. The price we pay! :rolleyes:

I don't know what you mean lol

I scare prospective partners...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy