Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog Fighting? Good God Almighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"OH come on! He's inocent untill proven guilty! I'd be more worried about all the pro athelets that are drug addicts and murderers......."

....and they probably attend these kind of events. I get the impression that you are protesting this indictment a tad too vehemently. It is common knowledge that cruelty and abuse to animals is a precursor to elevated anti-social behavior. And yes, it is my business what this cretin does with his "dogs!"

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I whole-heartedly support innocent until proven guilty- just a few questions:
1) Why did Vick personally purchase so many dogs?
2) What has become of the dogs he purchased?
3) Why were so many dogs on his property, and so many of them in such poor physical condition?
4) Why did he seek to sell the property as soon as there was news of an investigation?
5) Isn't this the same sort of behavior that got his brother kicked out of Virginia Tech and wasn't his brother living on the property of the supposed dog fight training center when the investigation began?
6) If the dogs he purchased were to be treated as pets, why did so many die so young and why were so many buried on the property?
7) If you are not dog fighting, why keep the paraphernalia of dogfighting?
What is its purpose?

Feraud

Bartender
Due process is part of the judicial system, a conduct policy is part of his employment with the NFL.
This guy apparently has enough damaging evidence on his property for his employees to judge and suspend him. The due process will hopefully follow.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Isn't it bad enough that people have to inflict the cruelty and baseness of human savagery on one another, without having to turn their brutal attention to innocent animals?

Okay, let justice take its course, and when the scumbag's found guilty, throw him in a cell and leave him there.

Rooster

Practically Family
Okay, let justice take its course, and when the scumbag's found guilty, throw him in a cell and leave him there.
______
I couldn't agree more with that statement. He's obviously guilty of laws that are on the books, he still deserves his day in court....
Animal cruelty laws are a very slipperry slope. Most people will agree dog fights are cruel. But , where does it stop? Asians like to fight Betas. They are fish. Is that cruel?
What about using live frogs for bait? Is that cruel? How about Dew worms? How about feeding live mice to snakes? How about falconry? How about testing drugs on mamals.... or anything else?
Where do you draw the line?
What about animal care? the HSUS gets very involved with how you care for your pets too.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I'm with Rooster on this one.

If we bow to ANY interest groups; even ones I wholeheartedly agree with the intentions of (such as in this case) we are leaving a very LARGE door open.

Give him his day in court; keep the interests groups AWAY from the judicial system.

And honestly, are any of you all that surprised? Dog fighting has been going on for centuries, and in many cases was illegal (if not for the dog fights then for the large gatherings after a certain time or for the gambling etc.) It really shouldn't surprise us that it still happens on occasion.

Please note, my last statement doesn't make it RIGHT--I certainly do NOT agree with this at all. But, there is a system, and the system is there for a reason.

Cheers
Craig

Rooster

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
We could draw the line at animals with higher brain function/a cortex.
OK, but just what does that include or exclude?[huh] How do you measure brain function? Not giving you a hard time, I'm just seriously interested in this.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Due process is part of the judicial system, a conduct policy is part of his employment with the NFL.
This guy apparently has enough damaging evidence on his property for his employees to judge and suspend him. The due process will hopefully follow.

Due process is part of the legal system. The conduct policy is part of his employment. I don't know of any employer who waits for the wheels of justice to grind out the facts before suspending or firing an employee.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Rooster said:
OK, but just what does that include or exclude?[huh] How do you measure brain function? Not giving you a hard time, I'm just seriously interested in this.

:eek:fftopic: This is pulled from http://www.animal-rights.com

Well, animal rights philosophy asserts that rights are to be accorded to creatures that have the capacity to experience pain, to suffer, and to be a "subject of a life". Such a capacity is definitely not found in bacteria. It is
definitely found in mammals. There is debate about such animals as molluscs
and arthropods (including insects). One should decide, based upon available
evidence and one's own conscience, where the line should be drawn to adhere to the principle of AR described in the first sentence. :eek:fftopic:

Any more questions, let's go to PM lest we incur the wrath of mods.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Rooster said:
Oh boy.....that web site is a bunch of Whooey in my opinion. Infact, it makes me a criminal for raising sheep and chickens and eating them....

A lot of Animal Rights sites are very propagandist in nature, and I don't agree with it all. My philosophy is don't eat anything you wouldn't personally kill. You pass MY test, anyway. lol

Rooster

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
A lot of Animal Rights sites are very propagandist in nature, and I don't agree with it all. My philosophy is don't eat anything you wouldn't personally kill. You pass MY test, anyway. lol
Sounds like a plan to me!lol Thanks for the civil discussion Miss Hell, always a pleasure!:)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Void Vick!

First:
IMHO, intentionally creating situations for sentient creatures to maul each is characteristic of barbarism and therefore, the antithesis of a civilized society. It is particularly heinous when those sentient creatures lack the option of choice. Just for the record: I enjoy watching boxing, kickboxing, and other contact martial art matches, but I have reservations about the perversions created as a result of these and other contact sports being developed and marketed as "professional" sports.
This particular aspect probably deserves its own thread.​

Second:
When I first read the news of Vicks' involvement, I was appalled, but not surprised. It is his prominence coupled with the scale of what he is accused of using his money to create that was alarming enough to be newsworthy. Truly, the media generally would not consider a large dog fighting organization worthy of national notice were it not for Vicks' status as a premiere quarterback with a team that has since his arrival become a division if not championship contender.
Third:
Even though Philadelphia has diminished in size and become the murder capital of the United States, it is still significant in size enough to be called an urban area. Even though as Rooster observed "most of this crappola is a direct result of the urban lifestyle 99% of people live today. People have forgotten what animals are....just animals...they're not people nor do they have people's rights", dog fighting is prevalent throughout this city's urban landscape. Unfortunately, without Vicks' resources, many of the "training" animals are pets stolen from hearts and sheltered homes and most usually have been bred for shepherding, hunting, retrieving, ratting, or other work rather than for fighting bulls in a pit.
Nonetheless, humane organizations have a history of being at once over zealous and overly dramatic. I am stunned and saddened by the callow vindictiveness of stripping a family of all their animals including pets over a plastic doghouse.​

Lastly,
The NFL has been particularly astute over the years. They have transformed an in-the-trenches, bloody, bone-crushing, paralyzing, concussive, incredibly brutal sport into a Sunday, Monday, & Thursday prime-time mainstay throughout middle American households. Their success in tinkering with play conditions, penalty definitions, and summary consequences to achieve this acceptance is without equal. (Of course, one should never under estimate the cultivation of the aerial game as the critical component of that evolutionary process!)
It is my hope that the NFL and the Falcon organization will recognize that their empire is built on the precarious and illusionary image of football as the poster sport for United Way and good sportsmanship. Anything that conflicts with that image and message cannot be tolerated.
Like Feraud, I submit that at this point the NFL's own code of conduct is the determining factor justifying suspension just on the facts known at this time. However, such a response by an employer should not obviate due process by either the legal system or public opinion.

Hondo

One Too Many
This is my last comment to the thread, I give him all the “Due Process” all the rights to speedy trail, (that may help him)but it does say something
when a Grand Jury files an indictment after months of investigation, over a year ago I really wanted to like the guy, even considered buying his jersey.
Then came his attitude flipping off fans after a terrible home lose. Offering a measly $10,000 for Virginia Tech tragedy when the guy signed a ten year deal for 130 Million contract, that small sum is a dime in the bucket, but that’s besides the point, look at how he acts, things like the water bottle incident, now this.
He hasn’t been convicted, he’s innocent until proven other wise, and lets remember Duke Lacrosse team.
There was a story on the west coast about 2 young girls burning a kitten, and its cling for its life, that’s almost as tragic as Vicks incident, it’s a sad state of affairs all around in this world, when you have to hurt defenseless animals for amusement, fun:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails