Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dogs make poor pets

Section10

One of the Regulars
I hesitated to post this because it is not my intention to offend or make enemies. This is an emotionally charged subject and what I've written is certainly not the last word on the topic. I ask that the mature adults who read this would consider it and reply as mature adults whether you disagree or not. This is an opinion and a generality and exceptions exist I am sure. I'm not painting anyone with any kind of brush or pointing any fingers. This is the Observation Bar and I'm making an observation.

Dogs Make Poor Pets

I say this because the way they live today is neither normal nor natural. In years past dogs were our partners. We shared our lives with them and they with us because it was mutually beneficial to us both. Dogs have good noses and good hearing. They are fast and strong, good hunters, fighters, hard workers, and aggressive yet willing to cohabit and share affection with humans. They are trainable and protective and breed readily and can be physically reshaped to suit a certain purpose. They require little to stay alive and if absolutely necessary you could throw one in the pot to keep yourself alive.

Out of this partnership, dogs got dependable meals, shelter, safety and friendship.

As civilization progressed, the need for all these assets diminished. We still like dogs so they became our pets. We shape them to artificial standards and turn them into freaks. A bulldog and a chihuahua are freaks. They may be cute freaks, but freaks non-the-less. We do this for our benefit and not for theirs.

Dogs are confined. It is practical and for their safety, yet regardless of our benevolence we are their jailers. A dog on a chain barks because it is neurotic. It is going crazy. It cannot live like that. A dog inside is little better. It may respond to you, but when you are not home it is bored stiff. Show most any dog an open door to the outside and it is gone.

I wonder if way back when dogs were being separated from wolves, if they had the gift of foresight and could speak and if they could see what would happen to them they would say to us: "No thank you. We will not be confined or changed to suit your fancies. We choose the freedom, the romance, the excitement, the hunger, the blood and the death of wolves. You may hate us and kill us; it is still better than turning us into sterile freaks and living with your chains and collars and your overheated prisons with your endless insipid dog food regardless of the kindness of our jailers. Goodbye."

Lancealot

Practically Family
I would say it depends on the situation. I grew up on 20 acre farm and we had a dog. He had the run of the 20 acres. He patrolled the fence line, helped keep the cattle in ( and the kids myself included), and help to kep out unwanted guest be it vermon four or two legged.

Now move to the present I live in the suburbs, work 8-10 hours today, and come home home and want to pass out on the couch. I tried having a dog but has Section10 stated he ended up on a chain and got a little stir crazy. I ended up giving him to a friend of mine that is a grounds keeper for aprox. 200 hundred acres of land. I have gone to see him and he is much happier now.

So I would say it depends on the situation. If you have the room and the time to spend with one then I'm all for it, but think of the dog first.

I still miss my dog but now I have a cat whos good company and is much easier to take care of.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although this is clearly a thread intended to play on
the raw nerve Section10 already found elsewhere, I
will respond. But only to recommend some reading to
make this discussion more than ill-intended speculation.

There are a lot of books out about dog psychology
and social evolution. A good place to start might be
Jean Donaldson's "The Culture Clash".

http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Clash-Jean-Donaldson/dp/1888047054

It'll provide a well informed discussion of the issue, and one
not intended with ill will. In the future I
hope the Observation Bar is not used simply to provoke
Lounge members.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
When I think of the dogs who serve us -- whether sniffing drugs or bombs, or, like my brother's dogs, going to hospitals and nursing homes to cheer up sick folks, of those dogs that have saved people's lives and even risked or given their lives to do so, when I think of blind or disabled people dogs are trained to serve, or isolated or elderly people who rely on a dog, I think:

No, dogs may not make good pets, but they sure do make good companions.

karol

Section10

One of the Regulars
Good points, karol. Usefulness of dogs is still evident and I don't feel that contradicts at all what I've said.

If any of the moderators feel I've committed a crime here, they are within their rights to pull the post. I will not challenge them.

I wonder why there are dog psychologists. I can understand the need for people psychologists since there are many things that frustrate people, but the very existence of dog psychologists seems to reinforce my observation.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
No, dogs may not make good pets, but they sure do make good companions.

I agree.

BTW, Section 10, I just shared your thoughts with my two whippets. They both walked away from me shaking their heads in disgust. [huh] :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sensible dogs, Whippets.

Read further about the co-evolution of our two, largely interdependent species and you may just change your mind.
Read the historical reasoning behind the creation of various dog breeds and you may change your mind.
The freaks you describe may seem freakish today, but their freakishness served a purpose. Whippets for racing. Salukis for spotting game in the open desert. Bullmastiffs to assist the gamekeeper against poachers. Terriers for rat control. Mastiffs in war. Bulldogs to fight bulls. And the tiny Chihuahua for a bit of warmth and friendship. Every type of dog had, and has, a very specific job for which they are ideally suited. Historically, once the job vanished, the breed disappeared unless he found another purpose.

I really don't care who likes dogs or not. If one wants to keep a pet, there are lots of different species that can work out well for a given person and their personality. Dogs aren't for everyone, but neither are cats, gerbils, goldfish or snakes.
The thing is, it's a bad idea to hold forth on a subject unless one is somewhat informed on that subject. Or, as Lincoln was fond of saying, it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I Dont know....

Working dogs, show dogs, dogs as companions, they are all different and serve different needs.

I may not agree with all the aspects of any or each of those catorgories, but they do. I too have my limits. I would never have a working dog/or mix as a pet. I couldnt handle it, and I dont think I as a 'pet gardian' (legal term in SF BTW ;) ) would be a good match for that animal. I feel it depends on the owner selecting a dog that fits their life, and not what they think would be a 'good pet'.

For me, I live in a studio apt, I have an 85 lb dog, and I take her to the park for at least an hour 3-4 times a week (or until she quits running and just sits under my feet for the rest of her park time). The rest of the time we walk around a few blocks twice a day. That is my responsibility as a guardian to see that she is stimulated, so she is happy, and so she sleeps her good 12-16 hrs a day :). Most new dog owners think an animal is fine with just food and water. The need to be challenged, and if the human is not willing to do so, then the dog will find a way. Be it aggression, neurotic behavior, or destructive behavior.

As for the types of dogs out there, I have always had a pound dog. There are too many pooches that need homes for me to go out and buy one for me to just have as a companion. Thats just me. Ive always had strays or pound animals. It just works.

Section10

One of the Regulars
I understand that all the different sizes and shapes served a useful purpose, but it was our purpose that was being served. And I'm not saying lets get rid of bulldogs. I've thought myself it would be kind of nice to have one, although it would be impractical and I won't do it. The point is they are instruments of ours and even though they are loved and cared for, they still have to exist in modern environments that are often incompatible with their natural inclinations. Have you ever seen your dear pet with its mouth full of fresh blood and half ready to take your arm off if you get too close? That is the nature of a dog. That is not a bad thing and I respect it. But now we need dog psychologists just to help them and us still live together in compatability.

And the tiny Chihuahua for a bit of warmth and friendship.

Really? With all that psychotic barking, I thought Chihuahuas were bred to let the entire neighborhood know that somewhere in the vicinity there was a passing car, motorcycle, airplane, tugboat, horsecart, skateboard, or simply to let us know that someone somewhere had just got up from a sofa.

Regards,

Senator Jack

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Section10 said:
Have you ever seen your dear pet with its mouth full of fresh blood and half ready to take your arm off if you get too close? That is the nature of a dog. That is not a bad thing and I respect it.

No, that is a severe misunderstanding of how dogs think.
My dog has killed many rats, squirrels, opossums, etc. Her
prey drive is extremely high. But I can take those animals from
her mouth without protest. I play extremely rough with my 75 lbs
dog. But if she breaks skin, the game is over. She does not break skin.
If your dog is willing to hurt you, you
have a sick dog or one who does not respect you.

Section10 said:
But now we need dog psychologists just to help them and us still live together in compatability.

There is no merit in mocking knowledge. Ignorance is nothing
to brag about. Dogs can, indeed, be deadly weapons in the wrong
hands. I suppose you oppose learning about guns before owning one?
Dogs are more complex than guns. I wouldn't dream of sharing my house
with one if I didn't understand it. And I wouldn't dream of spouting off
about "the nature of a dog" without thorough research.

Section10

One of the Regulars
Feltfan, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
I will retain mine. Right from the start I said this was my opinion. I have not personally attacked you or anyone.

There have been some mature, humorous and thoughtful responses so far.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My chihuahua only barked when someone came to the door, so I did not have to hear him yap as many small dogs do. He was a loving, cuddly little dog, liked to be carried in a bag I put around my neck, liked car rides, had a distinct personality, pretty ornery, fiesty, fussy about what food he ate. He had the nicest smell. I miss burying my nose against the ruff of his neck. I loved him and will miss the little guy the rest of my life.

As for big dogs, I noticed when I went to the dog pound one time, there were lots of them, almost all of them incessant barkers, which is probably one reason the people got rid of them.

If I ever have another dog, I will go to obedience classes with him/her. The classes will be as much for me as for the dog.

karol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
"Dog Psychologists"

They don't psycho-analyze dogs; they help their misinformed owners understand where their own human behavior is incompatible with the dog's.

A dog is a pack animal and someone is always, always going to be the head of the pack. It had better be you, because if it isn't, the dog, sensing that no one is taking that (in their mind) mandatory position, will try to fill it themselves. Because in the dog's mind - he must. This makes for a terrible situation because a dog cannot be a leader in a human world that they cannot possibly understand. Yet they will try, and it always leads to problems in the dog's behavior.
Take the dog that destroys the house when left alone. We often say they have separation anxiety, and this is true; but it's not as humans interpret it. The dog who thinks he is in charge believes he is responsible for his people. When he freaks out at being left alone, he's not thinking "Where are mommy and daddy!!!???" He's thinking "Where are my charges!!??? They NEED me!!!" A dog might try to bite the Hoover. That dog is protecting his pack from a "predator" he cannot understand.
A dog is constantly asking the question, "Who's in charge?" They need to be constantly reassured that it is you so that they feel secure, safe, calm.

You have to learn to see things through a dog's brain, and understand that over the eons, they have evolved to become an astonishing little born reader of our slightest shift in body language. Recent German research bears this out. They know and sense our every mood. Our dogs, for good or ill, are entirely bonded to humans.
They really are amazing, intelligent creatures. A dog... uh... guardian... who doesn't try to connect on a level the dog can deal with is missing a very rewarding experience.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
We've spoiled our dog since we got him. He's only 3 years old in human years and he has gotten unpredictable. I've stopped giving him attention due to some bites. He's not bad, but as a trainer put it, biting has been locked into his mind, he can't incorperate between what's good and bad. He begs, he pulls the lease, among other things. My dad would put him to sleep if my mom and sister didn't have a say. He was just brought up wrong. It's their nature, and your job is to control it. It all depends on the breed too.

His spoiling days are over.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Did you have some sort of negative experience with a dog to set you off to write this?

My dog is all I've had for 14 years. She's now going blind is probably in the twilight of her life. When I come home from work everyday she's so happy it's like she hasn't seen me for a year. I doubt kids can be that way.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
Did you have some sort of negative experience with a dog to set you off to write this?

My dog is all I've had for 14 years. She's now going blind is probably in the twilight of her life. When I come home from work everyday she's so happy it's like she hasn't seen me for a year. I doubt kids can be that way.

Can I send your doggie a huge hug, Quigley Brown??? She sounds so sweet!!!!:D

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
This is a terrific post, Scotrace.

St. Francis used the term "inseeing" to describe a full and complete understanding of the world as another creature sees it. Sounds like you're on your way to that.

I study wolves quite a bit...and once in a great while I think I can glimpse a bit of what the world is like to a wolf in the wild.

My own "house wolves"? Well, they surprise me every day with their actions, thoughts, emotions (yes, I think animals have emotions), etc. And learning about them, caring for them, loving them as they grow up and grow older...has made me a MUCH better person and (I hope) a better man in more ways than I can count.

I guess some people are not capable of aspiring to this sort of "insight". That's sad.

scotrace said:
"Dog Psychologists"

They don't psycho-analyze dogs; they help their misinformed owners understand where their own human behavior is incompatible with the dog's.

A dog is a pack animal and someone is always, always going to be the head of the pack. It had better be you, because if it isn't, the dog, sensing that no one is taking that (in their mind) mandatory position, will try to fill it themselves. Because in the dog's mind - he must. This makes for a terrible situation because a dog cannot be a leader in a human world that they cannot possibly understand. Yet they will try, and it always leads to problems in the dog's behavior.
Take the dog that destroys the house when left alone. We often say they have separation anxiety, and this is true; but it's not as humans interpret it. The dog who thinks he is in charge believes he is responsible for his people. When he freaks out at being left alone, he's not thinking "Where are mommy and daddy!!!???" He's thinking "Where are my charges!!??? They NEED me!!!" A dog might try to bite the Hoover. That dog is protecting his pack from a "predator" he cannot understand.
A dog is constantly asking the question, "Who's in charge?" They need to be constantly reassured that it is you so that they feel secure, safe, calm.

You have to learn to see things through a dog's brain, and understand that over the eons, they have evolved to become an astonishing little born reader of our slightest shift in body language. Recent German research bears this out. They know and sense our every mood. Our dogs, for good or ill, are entirely bonded to humans.
They really are amazing, intelligent creatures. A dog... uh... guardian... who doesn't try to connect on a level the dog can deal with is missing a very rewarding experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24