Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-breasted blazer; from The Aviator to Gatsby

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I to am inspired. I just picked this up off the Bay, my first blazer actually. Ivory pants, spectators, and a Panama, that's what I'm thinking. The pockets are gigantic, I could keep an extra fedora in one of them.

Dsc07247a.jpg

I believe it'll serve me well.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tim's sold me on a Howard Hughes' Aviatorish DB blue jacket!

Tim, you have a lot to answer for my friend. You just shouldn't look so damn fine in a DB jacket like that. And there was me kidding myself that if I got one, then I too could look like a young Howard Hughes!!

The other surprise with these photos is you are about to see the NEW LOOK PADDY with the Prince Michael of Kent whiskers (well..getting there). I just fancied a change quite frankly and the mix of beard with the DB Aviator jacket (now doesn't that sound grand!) actually looks quite aristocratic, doesn't one think?..!! (WELL...what do you think, as I've had mixed comments).

Right, the first ones are of DiCaprio (As HRH in THE AVIATOR, the next is a real HRH (His Royal Highness), Prince Michael of Kent, to my mind the snappiest dresser of all the male Royals!!. And the following ones are of PM).

aviator-01_l.jpg

hrh_nf_top.jpg

DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket001.jpg

DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket003.jpg

DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket004.jpg

DoubleBreastedHowardHughesjacket005.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy, My Friend,

Thank you for your kind words.

I think the jacket looks great and it fits you perfectly.

The bold tie is very posh as well.

I might try wearing a slightly dressier pant, something with a razor sharp crease in perhaps a lighter or paler shade. The khakis are great, but they seem to be calling for the field, not a bottle of Bollie.

It's a great look, my friend. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, Frank is a rather handsome, devillish fellow isn't he!!!

Guess I'll just have to take that as the compliment I'm sure it was intended to be BT!! :)
To be honest...Never thought I'd be seen in a blue double breasted jacket like some East Coast Preppy or young Rupert (army officer) straight out of RMA Sandhurst.

But, maybe I'm now at the stage of my life where I can enjoy it, and it does have a certain vintage feel to it in a Howardesque sort of way!!
But 'gold buttons' for me just don't do it. I'd rather have a more subdued button in horn or bakelite.

Thanks Tim for this thread, it's amazing how powerful threads can be in marketing something :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Paddy- almost on the subject but totally off topic...

Paddy- don't forget to slowly assemble an adventurous ensemble for an Agean campaign some time soon- don't forget to pack suitable attire and footwear for sea level, up to Alpine climate and terrain. Perhaps a ruck(vintage)sack too, oh, and a pipe and a flask....(I mean it)

I have jumbled together an assortment including some capacious CC41 British denim trousers and a fantastic anorak- the cap(s), comforter is soon to arrive.

Keep "W.S.M" and "P.L-F." in mind at all times and when a suitable time frame and state of mind conjures itself up- please let me know- I haven't forgotten.

We must capture Gen.K.K...

B
T(M)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now that's sharp Scott!!

What a dapper looking image you cut there Scott!! This DB Aviator jacket is proving to be very popular around this house, isn't it!!

I particularily love those specs you are wearing. What are they and where did you get them from?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes

They are indeed, Baron. Thanks. I put a few more pictures in the Baggy thread.

Paddy - thanks for the kind comments! The specs are a pair I bought as reproductions in the '80's at the local optometrist's. A few year's back I had him pop in sunglass lenses. Big, round, gold frame, cable temples - there's really no distinguishing them from a '30's pair.
The jacket, blast, has shrunk a tad. :rolleyes:

mikepara

Practically Family
faux pas?...

My Hornes 4 Button blazer has a regimental Blazer badge on the breast pocket. Is this a faux pas?:eusa_doh:

I've always worn it with grey flannels, Regimental silk tie and only on Regimental meetings.

I can't say they look as nice as the Trousers Hemingway has on. May have a re-think about how and when I wear it.

I'd show a pic but for some reason can't attach one.

Bagnold now there's an adventurer worth name checking.

Baggers

Practically Family
mikepara said:
My Hornes 4 Button blazer has a regimental Blazer badge on the breast pocket. Is this a faux pas?:eusa_doh:

I've always worn it with grey flannels, Regimental silk tie and only on Regimental meetings.

In my opinion, it could never be a faux pas to wear a badge to which one is entitled. On the other hand, I have a real problem with people who slap a crest on a blazer just because it "looks cool," and without even bothering to find out the name and history of the regiment it represents. I'm assuming that is not the case with you! ;)

Cheers!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Regt badges on the pocket

Mike, I would have done the same. But sadly, due to where I originate from, I cannot wear items with such obvious military associations. Even my Int Corps tie, which in good old fashioned 'Spook' mode, doesn't cry out military (could be an old school tie if you didn't know what it was), is still a no-no in the Province (As the fag packets state: "Could damage your health."). So I just keep the attire plain. But over on the UK mainland there shouldn't be any problem sporting the fact that you are affiliated to the services (something truely to be proud of). A smart khaki/camel colour pair of chinos with a sharp starched crease to cut yourself on, looks great with the dark blue of the blazer/jacket.
Ever see off duty Ghurkha soldiers? (and I'm talking about the squaddies, not the ruperts). Damn they know how to look smart. You don't see them running around in jeans, desert boots and a shirt hanging out. Always, dark jacket or full suit, shirt and tie. Glad they are on the side of the Crown!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You all are too handsome

I must say that it is a breath of fresh air to see a man dressed in a double breasted blue blazer with kahkis, a fresh bright white oxford, possibly a bow tie, topped off with a panama. This outfit is what makes the difference between a man and a gentleman, as does a suit, or a nice lacoste style shirt. I am lucky that I live with Hemingway Jones, for I get to see him dressed like this often. It is his "casual look". As a single girl on the prowl for a man, the first thing I notice is the way a man dresses. It's too tired making seeing grown men dressed like toddlers in ratty t-shirt, shorts that hang below their briefs, and flip flops that are so worn out the soles are un-even. Unfortunately this look is running rampant through the streets of Boston, as I'm sure that it is in all other American cities as well. The way a man dresses says a lot about who he is. I know a lot of people who would say that the DBBB is stuffy or snobby. I, on the other hand (the better hand I must say) think it is elegant, intelligent, and dare I say, Handsome. I think you guys are great, just fantastic. Not only because you all care so much about how you look, but that you can so openly talk about it. You all have such great character and strength in sense of self. I don't see how a girl could be attracted to a guy who is, well for lack of a more intellegent word, a slob. Since when did slobiness become so fashionable. If we gals are going to spend all the time we do trying to make ourselves look pretty; I don't want to think of the hours that I have spent at the salon getting pedicures, manicures, and hair trims; a mans appreciation of that is nice, but just not enough. I want a man who is going to dress pretty for me. I also believe; and I wonder if there are studies on this; that people who dress nicely might just act nicer, possibly go farther in life. But that's just the psych degree talking. My mom always says you can have all the money in the world, and no class. It's sad to me that some people think that to dress nicely one must buy only the high end products. Clothing nowadays is so accessible; with all of the bargain basements out there and department stores constant sales; that it is not difficult for a man even of minimal means to obtain a wardrobe that exudes class.
So kudos to all of you gentelman who make my day a little brighter when I see you dressed in a fine suit, or a blazer and nice pants. There was once a time when this kind of dress was the norm. In my opinion, a nicer, classier time. I hope that with time, our ever growing group will help to make a style change back to the by-gone era that we adore so much. Who knows, young people today are all about emulating what they see in Hollywood, on TV, or the movies. They copy what their friends are doing. If we get out their more, we will be noticed. One guy will like the way you dress, and decide to do the same. His small minded friends who can't think for themselves will then copy his style, and so on and so on. Then the streets will look like a sea of blue with a sandy bottom and a hazy panama hat colored sky. Humph, a gal can dream, can't she?

HistWardrobe

Vendor
Keep the buttons

...unless you find some nice brass or gold-plated ones with the crest of a club you belong to, or some with some other personal association.

Traditionally blazers had brass buttons. Horn buttons are okay but in fact are less traditional. Blazers started to be worn in England in the latter half of the 19th century. The first ones were gaudy affairs striped in the colours of one's public school (aka "private school" in American parlance or cricketing club or rowing club, worn with metal buttons, usually brass, often with the school crest.

The classic combination of navy blue wool with brass buttons actually goes back quite a bit further. It has its roots in Regency era men's formal wear. By the late 1820s-30s, men's formal wear started to become black but in the 1790s-early 1820s it consisted of a navy blue tailcoat with brass buttons. The 1995 BBC / A&E version of Pride and Predudice does this look to perfection.

You look VERY smart and stylish. Keep the look!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
So, I took it home and dressed it up Gatsby style: Brooks Bros. tie in bold blue and white stripes, and capped with a PanamaBob body and Art Fawcett blocked and styled Panama.
Irish linen deadstock 1940s handkerchief courtesy of a dear friend on the Lounge. Thank you very much. ;)

What about the shoes Hemingway, are those the J Crew pair?

Cheers!

Dan

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
I welcome your feedback, jeers, jibes, accolades, criticisms, and praises. ;) :)

Fantastic. That outfit is a great example of how to "compose" an outfit. Syms is a great place for finding things like that jacket. I try to get to the Peabody location a few times a year for that reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy