Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-breasted blazer; from The Aviator to Gatsby

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, another day, another Hemingway post!

Can you tell I am bored this weekend?

Anyway, about a month ago, I was searching for a double-breasted blue blazer like the one Leo DiCap. had in "The Aviator."
aviator-01_l.jpg

Well, I came close. I found this jacket at SYMS.

It was hanging all alone and I approached it with trepidation. Would it fit?
I looked at the tag: 43L Oh, no! Too small.
So, I'll try it on anyway.
Wait a minute. It fits nicely. I like this jacket.
How much?
$260; a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it's Burberry, and sometimes you cannot leave a jacket behind.

So, I took it home and dressed it up Gatsby style: Brooks Bros. tie in bold blue and white stripes, and capped with a PanamaBob body and Art Fawcett blocked and styled Panama.
Irish linen deadstock 1940s handkerchief courtesy of a dear friend on the Lounge. Thank you very much. ;)

I welcome your feedback, jeers, jibes, accolades, criticisms, and praises. ;) :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Is it good? It's GREAT!
Looks like something Prince Charles would wear. And you've got it paired up perfectly. Watch out, summer -- Hemingway is READY! :)
Thanks! Boy am I glad that I am not the only one who thinks that Prince Charles is a smart dresser; the media excoriates him.

Bart said:
TIME FOR YOU TO FIND A NEW MIRROR....EITHER THAT OR FLY TO HOLLYWOOD.
Ah, man, that's funny! lol
I hope you all don't think I am terribly vain. I actually have a terrible self-image; I have too much of a critical eye. I do love posing in different vintage looks though. ;) :)

Mr. 'H' said:
Man, I need to get a hat that comes from Bob and is blocked by Art!
Sweeeeet.
Thanks, and yes, no body does it better; to quote a popular Bond song. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks! Boy am I glad that I am not the only one who thinks that Prince Charles is a smart dresser; the media excoriates him.

Prince Charles dresses very, very well. He intentionally imitates the sartorial style of the Duke of Windsor and the Earl of Mountbatten. Prince Charles even has the same nervous habit as the Duke of Windsor did: he constantly fiddles with his tie knot, pinching at it with his right hand. I've always wondered if the Prince cultivated this habit on purpose, or if it is completely unconscious.

Blue Buttons.

Wow, that's a pretty close hit to the movie blazer.

You could consider changing the buttons and then you'd get a big step closer.

And then check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!check all the blueprints!:D

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Prince Charles dresses very, very well. He consciously imitates the sartorial style of the Duke of Windsor and the Earl of Mountbatten. Prince Charles even has the same nervous habit as the Duke of Windsor did: he constantly fiddles with his tie knot, pinching at it with his right hand. I've always wondered if the Prince cultivated this habit on purpose, or if it is completely unconscious.
Interesting. I did not know that. I truly must read more about it.
I rather like Charles' sporting clothes.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
John in Covina said:
Wow, that's a pretty close hit to the movie blazer.

You could consider changing the buttons and then you'd get a big step closer.

And then check all the blueprints!...:D
lol Well Played! I have OCD tendencies as it is.
You know, to complete my "The Aviator" look, I picked up a tin of the Packards Tar Soap from the film. ;)
I would change out the buttons, if they weren't so fine, well-shaped, and interesting. They are a sort of brushed gold, not an obnoxious reflective gold, and they feature the Burberry knight. I like them too much to replace them. I'll have to make this look my own. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have that jacket

Hem, you look a treat in that outfit. Being bored now and again has its benefits.
This would get you into any party in East Egg. Probably West Egg as well. Or do I have them reversed again?

I have that Jacket Leo is wearing. It'd fit you too. I could have been talked out of it a few years ago when it was too snug. But now I have it in rotation.

Ugh ...

... gold buttons. I've never been a fan of matallic buttons.

Nice blazer, but. Except the buttons. Each to his own.

Indeed, Charles dresses well. Always has a tiny tie knot. All that fiddling, no doubt. He also has a habit of checking and rechecking his cuff links. And touching his ears. During the short time he had a beard - yes, it looked hideous. Hence no longer with us - he used to stroke it like a lunatic.

bk

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Excellent combination, with the buttons rendering it a bit (too :) ) modern. The tie is particularly good. (And I'm not in favour of two-tone shoes, but that's a matter of personal taste.)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Leave the buttons on. :)
Don't worry the buttons stay. For no other reason, but that I like them. :)
scotrace said:
Hem, you look a great in that outfit. Being bored now and again has its benefits.
This would get you into any party in East Egg. Probably West Egg as well. Or do I have them reversed again?

I have that Jacket Leo is wearing. It'd fit you too. I could have been talked out of it a few years ago when it was too snug. But now I have it in rotation.
Thanks, Scott! I always appreciate your comments.
So, what else do you have in that closet of yours..?:D

Baron Kurtz said:
... gold buttons. I've never been a fan of matallic buttons.

Nice blazer, but. Except the buttons. Each to his own.

Indeed, Charles dresses well. Always has a tiny tie knot. All that fiddling, no doubt. He also has a habit of checking and rechecking his cuff links. And touching his ears. During the short time he had a beard - yes, it looked hideous. Hence no longer with us - he used to stroke it like a lunatic.

bk
Thanks Baron. I can appreciate your point of view.
I particularly like these, because they are not reflective, which makes them a bit less garrish. ;)

John in Covina said:
Where did you find the tin?!!! Do they have any more?!!! Let me know if you can, please!

thanks,
John, I bought the tin on eBay. It is in excellent shape. It was, I think $7.00.
It has some soap in it, wrapped in Saran.
Brand new Packards tar soap is widely available online. I am going to get a new bar for this, but I haven't gotten around to it. :)

Absinthe, I love the Sikorsky, and Mojave Jack actually sent me that link, though I thank you as well.;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Excellent combination, with the buttons rendering it a bit (too :) ) modern. The tie is particularly good. (And I'm not in favour of two-tone shoes, but that's a matter of personal taste.)
Mr. Cohen, Thanks for your feedback. I always appreciate a fresh perspective.
So, you are not a fan of Spectators either (I realize these are saddle shoes)? I like the two-tones. They are sort of arrogant and confident; perhaps a bit dandyish.
I have seen metallic buttons on vintage blazers at Bobby's from Boston here in town, but I realize the effect you are alluding to. I just really like them and haven't the heart to replace them.

It also looks as if Leo's jacket is not vented.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
So, you are not a fan of Spectators either (I realize these are saddle shoes)? I like the two-tones. They are sort of arrogant and confident; perhaps a bit dandyish.

Exactly. But it certainly depends on who's wearing them. I'd subjectively feel ridiculous if I'd walk around with them, and on others, I mightn't even notice because they blend in. (Alright, chances are I would notice, but they wouldn't strike me as ludicrous.)

Hemingway Jones said:
I have seen metallic buttons on vintage blazers at Bobby's from Boston here in town, but I realize the effect you are alluding to. I just really like them and haven't the heart to replace them.

To a certain degree, that decision depends on your aim: do you want to look vintage, or do you want to look good and be comfortable, and this "vintage" style happens to approximate your wants?

Personally, for instance, if I had the choice between two identical looking suits, I wouldn't wear a scratchy suit because that's authentic, but rather a comfortable one. But than again, much as I like Sherlock Holmes stories etc. (mind my pseudonym), I don't play "the game" of hardcore Holmesians, religiously and stubbornly doing as if the master was a historical person, and Doyle merely Watson's literary agent. Either my imaginativeness is somewhat lacking, or, if you will, I'm too smart to be outsmarted even by myself :D.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
...Personally, for instance, if I had the choice between two identical looking suits, I wouldn't wear a scratchy suit because that's authentic, but rather a comfortable one. But then again, much as I like Sherlock Holmes stories etc. (mind my pseudonym), I don't play "the game" of hardcore Holmesians, religiously and stubbornly doing as if the master was a historical person, and Doyle merely Watson's literary agent. Either my imaginativeness is somewhat lacking, or, if you will, I'm too smart to be outsmarted even by myself :D.
Very well said, indeed.
For me, I see a vintage look I like then express it in a way I am comfortable with. Much as I did with mycustomtailor; I chose a cashmere and wool blend, which is hardly vintage, but luxorious and comfortbale for me.
I suppose it is a blending; the best of old and the best of the new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy