Double Harness

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Chanfan, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Chanfan

Chanfan A-List Customer

After seeing the William Powell flick in Scotrace's ironing thread, of all things - I decided it would be good to set my Tivo to record him when he came up.

Whadda know, it nabbed two flicks right away. Mr. Roberts (pretty much his last picture), and one I hadn't heard of, Double Harness.

Turns out the reason I hadn't heard of it was not solely my own ignorance - of which I have no shortage, I assure you - but also because it hadn't been aired on television (or in general release) since 1953. It, along with five other films from RKO, have been out of circulation - but were recently acquired by Turner Classic movies, and are being aired.

They are Double Harness (1933), One Man’s Journey (1933), Rafter Romance (1933), Stingaree (1934), Living on Love (1937) and A Man to Remember (1938).

As for Double Harness, I found it quite charming - I'm glad I nabbed it, and it reaffirms my liking of Mr. Powell! It's playing again in a few weeks, then again in June.

2. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

Double Harness airs again in 30 minutes...Odd that they're showing it twice within just a couple of hours...

3. Chanfan

Chanfan A-List Customer

Oh hey, so it is! Thanks!

4. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I recorded all the movies last night. I especially can't wait to watch Double Harness (1933), which will be happening tonight when I get home. I LOVE Bill Powell and Ann Harding!

[​IMG]

5. jitterbugdoll

jitterbugdoll Call Me a Cab

I caught most of Double Harness last night. I enjoyed it, though I am not sure I cared for it as well as other Powell films. I'd like to watch it again, and catch the 15 minutes or so that I missed. :)

6. Hemingway Jones

Hemingway Jones I'll Lock Up Bartender

I watched this as well and enjoyed it immensely. I think it is great that some of these films are being reintroduced to the public.

William Powell is becoming one of my favorite actors.

7. Brian Sheridan

Brian Sheridan One Too Many

Everyone keep your eyes open for STAR OF MIDNIGHT with Powell and Ginger Rogers. Full of art deco and Powell being suave (always)!

If I see TCM airing it again, I'll put up a post!

If you missed either HARNESS or RAFTERS, they will be retelecast on April 26th at 2:15 pm est and 5:15 pm respectively.

8. Classydame

Classydame One of the Regulars

I was able to watch all three last night...Loved them! Although my favorite was "Double Harness". I have always enjoyed William Powell. I pretty much like any movie he has done.

9. artdecodame

artdecodame One of the Regulars

I loved it. Ann Harding was gorgeous and elegant as usual!

10. vonwotan

vonwotan Practically Family

Has anyone else seen Double Harness with Ann Harding and William Powell? It is one of six TCM Lost & Found movies.

http://www.tcm.com/2007/rko/index.jsp?pskw=double+harness

I am watching right now and have quite enjoyed it so far. Plenty of wonderful hats and suits to admire as well.

11. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

:)

I watched it -- I liked it. I wouldn't rank it with a Busby Berkeley movie, but it was pretty nifty.