Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Helix Works?

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Hello all - I'm sure somebody here has some experience of and/or thoughts on Double Helix Works jackets? My eye has been caught in particualr by this jacket, which the more perceptive among you may just notice bears an ever so slight resembelance to a Freewheelers Mulholland - https://doublehelixworks.com/product/huggingthecurveblack/?lang=en . Given that the chances of me ever finding a Mulholland in a suitable size have proven slim, does anyone have any thoughts on how this brand measures up (literally and figuratively I guess)?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
They certainly don't stack up to Freewheelers of course, but they seem decent enough. Quality seems good enough and the patterns aren't as awful as some of the new Japanese brands like Fountainhead or Fine Creek.

They're below Freewheelers and Rainbow Country tier as well as RMC tier, but above the other two I mentioned. I'd put them in Y2 tier- solid Japanese craftsmanship and good but not great patterns

Reactions: Pio

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Also about 1/2 the price.

Not really.
Also about 1/2 the price.
Oh certainly, but the OP was not discussing price. He said he doesn't think he will find a Mulholland in his size, not that he doesn't want to pay for one. If the jacket he wants is a Freewheelers, to me it feels of the utmost importance to let him know that he is not getting the same level of jacket with Double Helix.

I'm not trying to talk poorly about DH. Like I said before, I like them much more than Fine Creek and especially the disaster that is Fountainhead. I would much sooner buy a DH than several other makers, but I personally wouldn't go for one if what I really wanted was a Freewheelers.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I simply meant that given that they fall below the level of quality they have priced themselves accordingly.

Beyond that, and this is just me, there is no such thing as an itch that can only be scratched one way. There are several instances where i’d rather have 2 really good jackets than one great one.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I simply meant that given that they fall below the level of quality they have priced themselves accordingly.

Beyond that, and this is just me, there is no such thing as an itch that can only be scratched one way. There are several instances where i’d rather have 2 really good jackets than one great one.
Fair enough! I'm different in that if I really want one thing, I am not satisfied with an alternative. I have tried to "settle" and it doesn't work. I'm not everyone, though.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
N
Fair enough! I'm different in that if I really want one thing, I am not satisfied with an alternative. I have tried to "settle" and it doesn't work. I'm not everyone, though.
Not to beat a horse, but for the sake of discourse:
Two months ago i took delivery of a pair of White’s boots. I liked the last so much I purchased another pair in a different model. Total cost approx $1,300. Their QC is let’s say decent. On both there are a few inconsistencies in welt stitching. Based on your reviews I’m guessing your White Klouds are pretty much perfect in the QC department. My guess is they also cost north of $1,300. I know you’ve conceded the point that your feelings are different (I suppose that’s why you have a blog) but I’d rather have the two pairs and a nice shirt. Is it fair to say you find room for both. I seem to remember you like your knuckle draggers well enough and they are certainly no Clinch.

Colin G

One Too Many
They certainly don't stack up to Freewheelers of course, but they seem decent enough. Quality seems good enough and the patterns aren't as awful as some of the new Japanese brands like Fountainhead or Fine Creek.

They're below Freewheelers and Rainbow Country tier as well as RMC tier, but above the other two I mentioned. I'd put them in Y2 tier- solid Japanese craftsmanship and good but not great patterns

I checked out Double Helix stuff a couple years ago at their shop and I will echo what dude says above. The patterns were good and quality seemed nice but they fit small. I was a large or a 42 instead of a Medium or 40 like I am in Rainbow Country or Freewheelers. I ended up buying a Rainbow Country instead of the Double Helix. It was on a different level construction wise. I recall Double Helix's leathers were quite nice though but not quite robust enough for my liking with thinner hides and thinner linings. I'd compare them to Thedi in terms of stitch consistency and quality and similarly thick leathers while Double Helix used more aniline finished hides. Would I wear one riding a motorcycle? No. Would I wear a Freewheelers or Rainbow Country while on one? Yes.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
OK - great, some interesting info here - thanks fellas. The one I saw was actually £1600 from Rivet & Hide in the UK, so not as much as FW, RMC etc, but still pretty expensive and a little more than I would be happy to pay for an mid range sort of a brand. I think I'll give these a miss and try to stay patient until what I really want comes along.

Colin G

One Too Many
Sometimes you need to see this stuff in person. I would have never given Real McCoys a chance until I checked out some of the jackets in person. Now I would buy one no questions asked. On the flipside I had the opportunity to check out Lewis Leathers in person and was very disappointed. Gloves were great but the jackets and boots left me cold.

I wanted a Mulholland also until I tried one one. I found it fit boxy and did not like the spread collar but I think I am one of the only ones on this forum who does not like it as it is quite popular. I hope you have at least tried one or are you rolling the dice?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I checked out Double Helix stuff a couple years ago at their shop and I will echo what dude says above. The patterns were good and quality seemed nice but they fit small. I was a large or a 42 instead of a Medium or 40 like I am in Rainbow Country or Freewheelers. I ended up buying a Rainbow Country instead of the Double Helix. It was on a different level construction wise. I recall Double Helix's leathers were quite nice though but not quite robust enough for my liking with thinner hides and thinner linings. I'd compare them to Thedi in terms of stitch consistency and quality and similarly thick leathers while Double Helix used more aniline finished hides. Would I wear one riding a motorcycle? No. Would I wear a Freewheelers or Rainbow Country while on one? Yes.
Yeah one very nice thing about Freewheelers is the quality of their linings and overall materials. Their Shinki tends to feel more substantial than that of other brands aside from Flat Head... though with much better patterns than Flat Head.

The Mulhollandvis an incredible jacket. I adore it, but I don't think it works for my current physique. When I was boxier it was perfect. I don't think it would work for me now.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Sometimes you need to see this stuff in person. I would have never given Real McCoys a chance until I checked out some of the jackets in person. Now I would buy one no questions asked. On the flipside I had the opportunity to check out Lewis Leathers in person and was very disappointed. Gloves were great but the jackets and boots left me cold.

I wanted a Mulholland also until I tried one one. I found it fit boxy and did not like the spread collar but I think I am one of the only ones on this forum who does not like it as it is quite popular. I hope you have at least tried one or are you rolling the dice?

Ive not tried one, but until I'd bought various RMC/Buco/TFH stuff I'd only ever seen it online and I wasnt disappointed when it turned up at my front door. If a UK retailer carried them it would be a lot easier, but then where's the fun when somethings so easy to come by?

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
I have their most epic one and sold it at $1100
It is very soft and comfortable but tend to have a narrow shoulder
It has the same problem as brother bridge, it seems that both of these brands' origin is questionable. Seems like that they are manufactured in China but they said it is from Japan. They didnt make themselves clean of this question.

If you are interested in soft horsehide, I think you could have a try on the 'helix rider' (their most epic model) only (yes, only this model). Or you could try the leather jackets from attractions biltbuck, theirs are even softer. otherwise, just forget it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have their most epic one and sold it at $1100
It is very soft and comfortable but tend to have a narrow shoulder
It has the same problem as brother bridge, it seems that both of these brands' origin is questionable. Seems like that they are manufactured in China but they said it is from Japan. They didnt make themselves clean of this question.

If you are interested in soft horsehide, I think you could have a try on the 'helix rider' (their most epic model) only (yes, only this model). Or you could try the leather jackets from attractions biltbuck, theirs are even softer. otherwise, just forget it.
Interesting. What makes you say it seems that they're made in China?

puiyc1203

One of the Regulars
Interesting. What makes you say it seems that they're made in China?
i cannot find that article now, but brother bridge and slow wear lion owned by the same guy. and owner of double helix is from china too. I am not talking shit of chinese leather jackets, I am saying that if they manufacture the boot in Dongguan China, but they say it is made in japan, then they have no integrity in doing business. As for the product itself, I prefer double helix 'helix rider' more than fcl, but I would definitly not recommend brother bridge to anyone.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm, Flame Panda has no problem saying where his boots are made, and no problem selling them either. Maybe time to rethink the Double Helix made in Japan false marketing, if that is indeed the case? Good (and great) stuff can be made in China.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Sometimes you need to see this stuff in person. I would have never given Real McCoys a chance until I checked out some of the jackets in person… I wanted a Mulholland also until I tried one one. I found it fit boxy and did not like the spread collar but I think I am one of the only ones on this forum who does not like it as it is quite popular. I hope you have at least tried one or are you rolling the dice?

See my answer in next post…

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Yeah one very nice thing about Freewheelers is the quality of their linings and overall materials. Their Shinki tends to feel more substantial than that of other brands aside from Flat Head... though with much better patterns than Flat Head.

The Mulhollandvis an incredible jacket. I adore it, but I don't think it works for my current physique. When I was boxier it was perfect. I don't think it would work for me now.

Just a few words about the quality of the FW jackets. I have owned a few FW leather jackets but none were flawless. The leather is absolutely world class for me, but all jackets I owned had small errors in the stitching. I also can't understand the hype about the Mulholland, I owned one myself, but for my liking it is cut too long at the front, the zippers on front pockets are not practical and razor-sharp (I have an RMC jh-2 also with zippers on the front pockets but there are worlds between the zippers from RMC and FW). The hookless front zipper is also a nightmare, fragile and not easy to handle... also the cut has it’s own… I have seen only one Mulholland at this Forum which fits perfectly. Nevertheless I am a fan of FW and love my Brakeman coat. The only manufacturer which top FW (even it’s not 100%) is Thedi Leathers. Of course, Thedi leather jackets are not everyone's taste but they top the FW in terms of craftsmanship and processing depth…

Last edited:

marker2037

Practically Family
Let's not start unsubstantiated rumors here. If you want to try a Double Helix jacket, Snake Oil Provisions out in Cali carries their products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider