Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

I know you're right... but I also want *drama.* I don't think Rose loves him, so this is the best for him. And I get what you're saying. But I really wish Mary wouldn't have gone up there, because then it looks like *her* doing to Rose, and Rose hates when people mess with her and her little rebellion.

It figures that one of the best characters (morally) gets shoved off the series.

I thought Mary handled it well. It is nice for us to say with today's values that she was wrong, but as Worf points out, Ross recognized the world they live in and what that would entail for the marriage and I thought Mary's input (which we never got to fully see since Ross told her immediately that he was cutting it off) - which was that Rose might be using you (Ross) to get at her mother - was valid.

And I don't think having a concern for what her cousin would be entering into was wrong - she certainly made it clear that she respected Ross as an individual but she knew that society was going to come down hard on both of them. Maybe she would have been a great heroine to say I support whatever you do, but back in the real world of the 1920s, I thought she did okay (as we never go to fully see what she was thinking).

And Sheeplady, don't worry, this might not be over (they need story lines) and Rose isn't done mixing things up for her Mom.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well that was "interesting" ..... So if anyone still thinks that Rose would've traded meeting the royal family, dancing with the Prince of Wales at her coming out and all that pomp and circumstance for life on the road with a Black Jazz singer I guess you know your answer. The whole storyline was a worthless McGuffin. Equally unconvincing was Mary's "moral dillema" over possibly turning Bates over to the Bulls. The only true emotion in the whole 2 hours was Edith's decision on what to do about her daughter. Interesting to hear that her beau was beaten by the NeoNazi Brownshirts. Sigh... much as I hate it I still watch it.

Worf

tommyK

One Too Many
Well that was "interesting" ..... So if anyone still thinks that Rose would've traded meeting the royal family, dancing with the Prince of Wales at her coming out and all that pomp and circumstance for life on the road with a Black Jazz singer I guess you know your answer. The whole storyline was a worthless McGuffin. Equally unconvincing was Mary's "moral dillema" over possibly turning Bates over to the Bulls. The only true emotion in the whole 2 hours was Edith's decision on what to do about her daughter. Interesting to hear that her beau was beaten by the NeoNazi Brownshirts. Sigh... much as I hate it I still watch it.

Worf

I'm with you here. It's the time period and production quality that keeps sucking me in.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I read something today that said season 5 would pick up 6 months after the events of the Christmas special....did we get the Christmas special in the US? Was that the last hour of the 2-hour finale?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
My mother loves Downton Abbey. She has all the current seasons. Mr. Mosley looks like Douglas MacArthur hatless. She is also a Selfridges addict. We both say the hairstyles in Selfridges look too modern. The Clothes too.

My mother also has plenty of dresses she loves, and I believe that Downton Abbey is one of her inspirations to buy them, but she never wears them. She says she is afraid to wear them. I wonder why, I never felt any fear towards dressing differently, or is it different for women?

Last edited:
My mother loves Downton Abbey. She has all the current seasons. Mr. Mosley looks like Douglas MacArthur hatless. She is also a Selfridges addict. We both say the hairstyles in Selfridges look too modern. The Clothes too.

My mother also has plenty of dresses she loves, and I believe that Downton Abbey is one of her inspirations to buy them, but she never wears them. She says she is afraid to wear them. I wonder why, I never felt any fear towards dressing differently, or is it different for women?

Even though I enjoy "Mr Selfridge" it misses overall. Yes the hairstyles are all over the map (and Selfridge's rug is painful it is so badly done), but in general, everything is all over the map in that show. The characters shift personalities regularly, the cultural norms are 1900s, except for when they are 2014 and the sub-stories speed up or slow down for no real reason. That said, I still like it, but I recognize it for what it is.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Mr. Selfridge's toupee isn't even like Fred Astaire's toupee, which blends into his forehead. In fact, the real Mr. Selfridge parted his hair in the center like Mr. Crabb.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I just Googled "The Gilded Age NBC Julian Fellowes"... and I see that Fellowes has said repeatedly that work on his new American-set series will NOT begin until Downton's run ends.

Since Downton is now so monstrously successful - with enormous ratings, gaining more viewers in more countries every season, etc. - it's unlikely to stop production for several seasons. So The Gilded Aged will probably be on hold for several years, a victim of Downton's success!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Oh man, who are they going to axe this season. I love this show, although last season was a little light on the quality side for some reason.

Mike

"Manhattan" is on WGN America (whatever the heck that is). In NYC, it's on Time Warner channel 126, but you just need to find out what channel WGN America is on your cable system.

It is on Wednesday night at 10pm.

Also, you can probably catch the first two episodes on demand or on-line (legally and for free) so that you can catch up. It is worth it as, so far, it is a well done show with good character development, story lines and incredible period sets, clothing, cars, etc. And from what I know of the Manhattan Project, the sets, houses, etc. are pretty accurate.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
An of coarse
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, Beyond the Pale and The Ties that Bind - Starring Paddy Considine.
[video=youtube_share;Ju_dg4qUSKM]http://youtu.be/Ju_dg4qUSKM[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112