Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

Can I ask what all these men see in Mary? Isn't there supposed to be a surplus of women because so many men were killed in the war?

While I know she's somewhat attractive her personality isn't necessarily a stunner. While her son will inherit Downton and the estate is still intact, it is facing financial issues, and it isn't like the man is going to hone in on that money. Plus, she's a widow. There's a ton of never-married never-had-a-child women running around who are a lot younger than she is now too.

This is another smart observation that I missed. With the women-men supply-demand balance out of whack owing to WWI, Mary in the real might struggle to find eligible men more than she does on the show. But she is striking to look and, as Ernest P Shackleton says, some men are attracted to cold aloofness. Also, despite the tangle, she does have money and title swirling around her, which also appeals to many men. And Mary seems to be a force of nature with a presence and aura beyond her looks that simply attracts attention (even when she is silent) - the absolute opposite of Edith (who disappears in a crowd even when she is talking).

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In the end it's a soap opera, so there's no logical reason why anything happens... Mary plays a love interest well, so it is good writing.

But I also wonder about Mary's age. There was all this to-do in the first series that she had to be married off- not only because the rumors of her one-night stand- but also because she "isn't getting any younger" (according to her mother). So now it is like a decade later and she's still hot stuff? When she was on the edge of being too old before? And now there is a surplus of women?

It seems like there would be plenty of women left with titles and a bit of money.

Also, I don't like what they are doing to Edith. I can't tell if Mr. Publisher is a whack job or really sincere... but urgh. She's going to get pregnant, her man is going to run off to Germany, and probably he'll die if he doesn't outright leave her in a lurch.

In the end it's a soap opera, so there's no logical reason why anything happens... Mary plays a love interest well, so it is good writing.

But I also wonder about Mary's age. There was all this to-do in the first series that she had to be married off- not only because the rumors of her one-night stand- but also because she "isn't getting any younger" (according to her mother). So now it is like a decade later and she's still hot stuff? When she was on the edge of being too old before? And now there is a surplus of women?

It seems like there would be plenty of women left with titles and a bit of money.

Also, I don't like what they are doing to Edith. I can't tell if Mr. Publisher is a whack job or really sincere... but urgh. She's going to get pregnant, her man is going to run off to Germany, and probably he'll die if he doesn't outright leave her in a lurch.

Any man willing to give up his UK citizenship to become a German national a few years after WWI is beyond a whack job - we need a new term that says you are meaningfully crazier than a mere whack job. He's working some agenda with Edith, we'll find out soon what is my guess.

As to Mary - and yes, I agree with you that this is just a soap opera so they do what they need to do to advance the story, reality be damned - having been married once and having a kid might in some screwy way reset the clock for her with middle aged men. She's no longer stale goods that nobody wanted in her prime, but a piece of quality merchandise that through an unfortunate incident is now available again.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Any man willing to give up his UK citizenship to become a German national a few years after WWI is beyond a whack job - we need a new term that says you are meaningfully crazier than a mere whack job. He's working some agenda with Edith, we'll find out soon what is my guess.

As to Mary - and yes, I agree with you that this is just a soap opera so they do what they need to do to advance the story, reality be damned - having been married once and having a kid might in some screwy way reset the clock for her with middle aged men. She's no longer stale goods that nobody wanted in her prime, but a piece of quality merchandise that through an unfortunate incident is now available again.

I love your phrase "beyond a whack job." haha. Do you think his wife is actually insane? If not, where is she?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I love your phrase "beyond a whack job." haha. Do you think his wife is actually insane? If not, where is she?

I have a premonition that Edith and her beau will somehow end up to be leaders of the Clivenden Set, perhpas crossing the line into actual treason, should the series continue into the reign of George VI.

Last edited:

Vitanola: "I have a premonition that Edith and her beau will somehow end up to be leaders of the Clivenden Set, perhpas crossing the line into actual treason, should the series continue into the reign of George VI."

Something is very, very wrong with Edith's beau and his wife (if she even exists). Interesting premise, Vitanola, it would weave an interesting (and embarrassing) piece of history into the show.

As a completely unrelated aside, I love her beau's apartment - the architecture (that window) and furniture is beautiful.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vitanola: "I have a premonition that Edith and her beau will somehow end up to be leaders of the Clivenden Set, perhpas crossing the line into actual treason, should the series continue into the reign of George VI."

Something is very, very wrong with Edith's beau and his wife (if she even exists). Interesting premise, Vitanola, it would weave an interesting (and embarrassing) piece of history into the show.

That would make awesome television though. But seriously, what is up with that? They're playing him up to be too factual (his admitting having a wife readily, his taking down the card cheat) to be real I think. There's something there that isn't right.

Also, has there been any mention of him serving? He seems young enough to have been eligible (although I have absolutely no idea about the draft and fighting age) but yet there is no mention of it? Yet it seems to be mentioned about every other male character? Rather interesting, right?

And he's so "interested" in going to Germany... maybe he's some sort of German spy with an assumed English name? (The last bit was a joke on my part, but this series can be so far fetched... I'll believe anything.) Vitanola may be closer than we think...

That would make awesome television though. But seriously, what is up with that? They're playing him up to be too factual (his admitting having a wife readily, his taking down the card cheat) to be real I think. There's something there that isn't right.

Also, has there been any mention of him serving? He seems young enough to have been eligible (although I have absolutely no idea about the draft and fighting age) but yet there is no mention of it? Yet it seems to be mentioned about every other male character? Rather interesting, right?

And he's so "interested" in going to Germany... maybe he's some sort of German spy with an assumed English name? (The last bit was a joke on my part, but this series can be so far fetched... I'll believe anything.) Vitanola may be closer than we think...

And wouldn't that be just what happens to poor Edith. Already jilted at the alter, living deep in Mary's shadow and now - possibly - going to run away with a German spy. You can't make this stuff up - oh, yes you can.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
sheeplady; said:

Ah no :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And wouldn't that be just what happens to poor Edith. Already jilted at the alter, living deep in Mary's shadow and now - possibly - going to run away with a German spy. You can't make this stuff up - oh, yes you can.

At one point Edith was mean enough to want to see her taken down a couple pegs. But now she's just the scapegoat for everything bad happening.

So she's just going to end up pregnant, eh?

And what the hell is up with Mary and her baby? Is she so deep in depression that she doesn't even handle him anymore? I know back then you had a governess, but given all that has happened.... you think she'd want to handle him more.

I like that they're bringing Cora's family back. And her brother is involved is what I suspect is Teapot Dome.

I cringe every time Lord Grantham makes comments about someone mismanaging money (as he does about Cora's brother) as it was only last season that we learned that LG lost a chunk of money investing with Charles Ponzi. If I was he, I'd keep quite about how someone else mismanaged money.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
And what the hell is up with Mary and her baby? Is she so deep in depression that she doesn't even handle him anymore? I know back then you had a governess, but given all that has happened.... you think she'd want to handle him more.

Like many shows the kids slowly disappear for the show. An only show up as an after thought.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I cringe every time Lord Grantham makes comments about someone mismanaging money (as he does about Cora's brother) as it was only last season that we learned that LG lost a chunk of money investing with Charles Ponzi. If I was he, I'd keep quite about how someone else mismanaged money.

Actually he only talked about investing with Mr. Ponzi.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Actually he only talked about investing with Mr. Ponzi.

True he lost his fortune on Canadian RailRoad stock, not with Charles Ponzi. Personally, I just don't understand why every eligible man in 5 counties is hell bent to woo Mary's scrawny ass???? Sybil was the ONLY one in the entire family with anything resembling a shape! Aloof, nasty, sharp tongued, boney, privileged and wouldn't know the business end of a spatula from a hole in the ground, still everybody wants her. And I won't even mention that EVERY man that's EVER shared her bed has either dropped stone cold dead or met some equally grisly fate.

Sheeya!!!!!!

Worf

True he lost his fortune on Canadian RailRoad stock, not with Charles Ponzi. Personally, I just don't understand why every eligible man in 5 counties is hell bent to woo Mary's scrawny ass???? Sybil was the ONLY one in the entire family with anything resembling a shape! Aloof, nasty, sharp tongued, boney, privileged and wouldn't know the business end of a spatula from a hole in the ground, still everybody wants her. And I won't even mention that EVERY man that's EVER shared her bed has either dropped stone cold dead or met some equally grisly fate.

Sheeya!!!!!!

Worf

I will not try to defend Mary's virtue, that went out the window with Mr. Pamuk, but I will argue the other side. The 1920s was the flapper era where thin, hip-less, small-chested, pale, androgynous women were in vogue. So, for Mary, I'd say, check, check, check, check and check. Also, some subset of men will always be attracted to aloof, cold-on-the-surface women as they see it as a challenge or they interpret it as a reflection of a strong, confident character - not a "I need a big, strong man to save me" girl.

Also, Mary has a presence - she attracts attention; even if you don't like her looks, you notice her. She is more noticeable being quiet than her sister Edith is talking. And Mary has the swirl of title and money around her. She has no need to know the business end of a spatula (nice turn of phrase Worf), she has staff for that and, as off-putting as that is to us today, that was a mark of breeding in her day.

Last thought, success begets success. Mary has attracted some high profile and wealthy men such as Richard Carlisle which makes other men think "what has she got that he wanted"

Mary is the female star of the Grantham family - patrician, confident, attractive by standards of the day, with an impressive list of suitors and possessive of that allusive quality that demands attention.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I will not try to defend Mary's virtue, that went out the window with Mr. Pamuk, but I will argue the other side. The 1920s was the flapper era where thin, hip-less, small-chested, pale, androgynous women were in vogue. So, for Mary, I'd say, check, check, check, check and check. Also, some subset of men will always be attracted to aloof, cold-on-the-surface women as they see it as a challenge or they interpret it as a reflection of a strong, confident character - not a "I need a big, strong man to save me" girl.

Also, Mary has a presence - she attracts attention; even if you don't like her looks, you notice her. She is more noticeable being quiet than her sister Edith is talking. And Mary has the swirl of title and money around her. She has no need to know the business end of a spatula (nice turn of phrase Worf), she has staff for that and, as off-putting as that is to us today, that was a mark of breeding in her day.

Last thought, success begets success. Mary has attracted some high profile and wealthy men such as Richard Carlisle which makes other men think "what has she got that he wanted"

Mary is the female star of the Grantham family - patrician, confident, attractive by standards of the day, with an impressive list of suitors and possessive of that allusive quality that demands attention.

Everything you say is correct. I know, I know... she's all the "positives" you mentioned but dang! Well it IS only a gussied up soap opera. And please lord in heaven let poor Edith catch one effin' break will ya?

Worf

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Everything you say is correct. I know, I know... she's all the "positives" you mentioned but dang! Well it IS only a gussied up soap opera. And please lord in heaven let poor Edith catch one effin' break will ya?

Worf

Well, at least she didn't die during an abortion. I was pretty sure that was where that story line was going.

And I won't even mention that EVERY man that's EVER shared her bed has either dropped stone cold dead or met some equally grisly fate.

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ