Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Perhaps motherhood will soften her a bit? Probably not...

I predict it will make her worse. Honestly, it almost seems like the more Mary has support and love the meaner she gets. It's like it enables her to be less understanding because she takes the relationship for granted. I totally wanted to punch Mary in the face when she was all whiny about how Matthew wouldn't take the money from Lidia's father. (Not really, but come on!)

And they had a perfect/strong relationship according to some? To me that level of needling makes an unhappy relationship- I would certainly consider that near harassment of a partner. Why Matthew put up with it I will never know- except he was spineless.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Downton Abbey Costumes

If any Downton Abbey fans are in or about the Los Angeles area I would recommend a visit to the FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising: http://fidmmuseum.org/exhibitions/current/#seventh-annual-television-costume-design It is free to visit and although there is underground parking that is supposed to cost $5 there seldom seems to be anyone around interested in taking your money. There are only 2 relatively small galleries, but there are about a dozen of the original costumes from the Series. There are also about 50 costumes from other series, including "Game of Thrones." The other gallery has about a dozen dresses from the 1920's with incredible hand beading, including two original Coco Chanel's. The first gallery is devoted to "costumes," while the other smaller gallery is all "real" clothes worn by people of the era. These beaded dresses must have belonged to some very posh ladies. Alll the clothes are viewable fairly close up without the usual museum "plexiglass." Unfortunately no photography allowed.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The fourth season of the brilliant “Downton Abbey” hits PBS on Jan. 5.
And the first of three “Sherlock” movies hit PBS on Jan. 19. (The BBC has not yet announced when the Cumberbatch vehicle returns to the U.K., but the BBC has said the Britishers will get it before the Yanks.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We toured a local Victorian home several years ago, and it was honestly the best tour I've ever been on. They had sections from diaries that they used to tell about the people who lived in the home and their stories. My husband and I couldn't decide who's lives were worse- the servants or the homeowners. The only advantage that the homeowners had is that they had money, but that didn't mean that they had necessarily more "free will."
You might like to see Sulgrave Manor. It's not Victorian, more Tudor. It was built by the Washington family, and is the ancestral home of George Washington. As manor homes go, it's quite modest.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad to say the more recent period dramas on UK TV have gone some way to redressing the reality quotient of life during the era, dented as that reality has been by the Downton drivel.
Downton drivel? I take it you are not a fan. I've never seen it, never wanted to. it's only a soap opera, scented soap maybe, but a soap opera nontheless. But each to their own.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, you might be amused by some joker's spoof twinning sign. To give you some background, most towns and villages in the UK, link up with towns and villages around the globe. they will often add their twinning town to their welcome to sign. Some joker, in the village of Highclere, from where, in Highclere Castle, Downton Abbey is filmed, erected this wonderful spoof sign:

Sadly, the authorities couldn't find any humour in it, and have since removed it. Killjoys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner