Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing appropriately for The Job Interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that over-dressing is as much a faux pas as under-dressing, particularlly when meeting people for the first time. So, no, I would not subscribe to your theory of dressing a "level up" aka over-dressing.

Again...it's not my theory. It's something I've heard and read.

As for my own experience interviewing and hiring folks...being under dressed is a huge negative. MUCH more so than being over dressed. They're not even close. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I work in an office (in California, where people tend to dress casually) in which the dress code is "business casual," which seems to mean something better than jeans, with an open-collar shirt. Job candidates, most of whom are recent college or graduate school graduates, normally wear suits and ties; when someone shows up less well-dressed than usual, it makes a slight negative impression.

I work in an office (in California, where people tend to dress casually) in which the dress code is "business casual," which seems to mean something better than jeans, with an open-collar shirt. Job candidates, most of whom are recent college or graduate school graduates, normally wear suits and ties; when someone shows up less well-dressed than usual, it makes a slight negative impression.

"Business casual" is well defined. It doesn't meant "anything more than jeans". It doens't mean khakis and a polo shirt. Folks may dress like that in your office, but that's not business casual. They do in mine, and it's irritating.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Again...it's not my theory. It's something I've heard and read.
OK so it's a theory that you have heard of and seen printed that you expouse. The competing theory (also written and spoken of) is to dress similarly to the group you are trying to hire on with.

There have been no recommendations to under-dress so let's not cloud the issue.;)

IMO, over-dressing has some potential pitfalls, where dressing like the group you aspire to join has none.

There have been no recommendations to under-dress so let's not cloud the issue.;)

Well, you said that over dressing was as big a faux paus as under dressing.

IMO, over-dressing has some potential pitfalls, where dressing like the group you aspire to join has none.

Again...that is not the case from my experience. I have been a part of many interview teams where the applicant dressing like us was considered "under dressed for a job interview".

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well, you said that over dressing was as big a faux paus as under dressing
So then you twisted my aside into a recommendation? I had an ex who would constantly attempt to muddy and derail disscussions with such ilk. So tedious......

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm responding to your comments. If you don't want a response, don't put them out for discussion.

Specious and disingenuous; again, reminds me of my ex. You wouldn't by chance be an attorney? That's a rhetorical question which does not require a response. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm neither specious nor disingenuous. And no, I'm not an attorney. You may feel entitled to insult people with impunity, but I don't play that way. Sorry.
Sorry you took it as an insult, it was just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner