Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for Inclement Weather

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I tell you what, I don't appreciate having to dress for inclement weather in MAY!!!
I needed a coat and gloves yesterday. Windy and cold.
Where's the Summer??
I'm going back to Jersey where the pollution keeps the climate regulated...;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I tell you what, I don't appreciate having to dress for inclement weather in MAY!!!
I needed a coat and gloves yesterday. Windy and cold.
Where's the Summer??
I'm going back to Jersey where the pollution keeps the climate regulated...;)

It has been the exact same here.. there had been a week or two with very nice summery weather, but now it has gotten all chilly again. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be very nice summer weather.. I hope..

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't have any rain proof clothes, I hate packing an umbrella in a suitcase I have to share with hub as we're only gone for a couple of days. The way our schedule looks, I'm not sure there's time to do any shopping. We'll be in London with his company Fri-Sun and the forecast says rain and cooler weather:(

I've never been to London or any where in the UK and it's been a dream for a long time but now I'm not looking forward to it at all. Not just because of the weather though. I'm just disappointed about so many things but I don't say no to a free trip. I've bought a grey/green 1950s inspired retro dress that I'll wear Saturday evening. We're attending a dinner party at the hotel we're staying at so I don't have to worry about getting my dress wet.

To bypass the weather issue, I'm tempted to take a cab every where. If the company will let us or if we can afford to. Most of our stay is going to be spent socializing with his colleagues in the hotel or on a tour boat on the Themes. No shopping time as far as I can tell from the schedule hub's brought home:cry: Sorry, slightly :eek:fftopic:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The weather is ever changable in Boston--82 and sunny in the morning, 70 and absolutely pouring rain in the late afternoon, then sunny againat the end of the day. It's 54 this morning. I've coped by taking an umbrella with me everywhere along with a trenchcoat and a sweater. Layers seem to work well in the Spring.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I don't have any rain proof clothes, I hate packing an umbrella in a suitcase I have to share with hub as we're only gone for a couple of days. The way our schedule looks, I'm not sure there's time to do any shopping. We'll be in London with his company Fri-Sun and the forecast says rain and cooler weather:(

I've never been to London or any where in the UK and it's been a dream for a long time but now I'm not looking forward to it at all. Not just because of the weather though. I'm just disappointed about so many things but I don't say no to a free trip. I've bought a grey/green 1950s inspired retro dress that I'll wear Saturday evening. We're attending a dinner party at the hotel we're staying at so I don't have to worry about getting my dress wet.

To bypass the weather issue, I'm tempted to take a cab every where. If the company will let us or if we can afford to. Most of our stay is going to be spent socializing with his colleagues in the hotel or on a tour boat on the Themes. No shopping time as far as I can tell from the schedule hub's brought home:cry: Sorry, slightly :eek:fftopic:

Sorry the London weather is so rubbish for you Lillemor... it is looking like it will be wet here at the weekend but it's probably going to be quite warm so don't wrap up too much! If you do get a chance to get out and about in London travelling by tube keeps you out of the wet :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Sorry the London weather is so rubbish for you Lillemor... it is looking like it will be wet here at the weekend but it's probably going to be quite warm so don't wrap up too much! If you do get a chance to get out and about in London travelling by tube keeps you out of the wet :)

Of course!lol I'm sorry, but I've never been to London so that just wasn't the obvious thing to do, or maybe it is to anyone else:eek:

Here's what I'm planning - Two skirts, three tops, one evening dress, one pair of capri/clam digger length pants, comfy shoes, 1 pair of wedge sandals, 1 pair of evening shoes. I'll fly over in a skirt and top, wear the pants/capris and a top on Saturday when we're stuck on that tour boat, the dress Saturday evening, fly home Sunday in another skirt and top.

I can't decide on whether to bring a sensible but ugly jacket (it's a company trip) a nice Spring coat or a nice cardigan:eusa_doh: How difficult is it to come by places that sell umbrellas in London?

Ada Veen

Practically Family
oh, you HAVE to go to the best umbrella shop ever, on New Oxford Street if you are close by:

124485_c0be88a9640.jpg

feb07-26.jpg

MissHannah

One Too Many
That umbrella shop looks amazing!!! But you can get umbrellas pretty much everywhere in London (for obvious reasons!).

You didn't mention bringing stockings/tights Lillemor but it's definitely not bare legs weather here right now! Otherwise your wardrobe sounds sensible although I would add in a cardigan.

Lillemor

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
That umbrella shop looks amazing!!! But you can get umbrellas pretty much everywhere in London (for obvious reasons!).

You didn't mention bringing stockings/tights Lillemor but it's definitely not bare legs weather here right now! Otherwise your wardrobe sounds sensible although I would add in a cardigan.

Thanks to both of you. The company printed out and copied a nearly invisible card of your underground system!:eusa_clap I could be wrong because they've marked a whole area with a big red circle that covers any stations written there:rolleyes: but I think we're staying at a hotel between Farringdon and Kings Cross.

I could decide to get lost and just find myself on New Oxford Street;)

To bring this back on thread. I wish I could come some time with just hub and meet up with people who know what types of places vintage-typey people (for lack of better wording) like me would like to see in London.

Buffalo Gal

New in Town
I think a nice big waterproof trenchcoat is going to be next on my wish list. I have a lovely grey belted full skirted wool coat, but it smells of wet dog if it gets rained on!!

Well, if you're made of money I can highly recommend the Belstaff ladies waterproof mac called 'Pigeon'. All their ladies coats have bird names but don't be put off this one's in a late 30's style, a very tradition trench which is stormproof. I picked one up on ebay for under $100. I wear it to walk a mile to the office in bad weather with big wool 'newsboy' flat cap to protect my bob. Very butch!

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
oh, you HAVE to go to the best umbrella shop ever, on New Oxford Street if you are close by:

124485_c0be88a9640.jpg

feb07-26.jpg

OH WOW!!! I'd be in my glory I love umbrellas! Gotta get me to London.........some day lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just wanted to say that I (quite litterally) surived London without an umbrella:). The weather turned out great. I could've used a street crossing guide though;). The writing on the pavement didn't help much because it's on your spine what you do:eek:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
I love the shoes! I'm actually looking forward to cooler weather next week.

They were expensive, but they're really comfortable, well made and they fit like a glove. (The salesman said they fit a lot of people.) Having wide feet and a bone spur, it's hard for me to find anything that doesn't cause pain. They're Rosaline made by Beautifeel if you want to buy a pair.

olive bleu

One Too Many

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
Rainy day wear

well here in Cali is windy and rainy... too cold for a nice dress, so what to do??
how would you put an outfit together for a rainy day? :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24