Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for the Holiday / Christmas party season

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
CherryRed said:
Thank you Inky! That would for sure be a more simple route! Here is the dress I always wish to make:
product_937080b.jpg

The short version. I envision it with a black velvet bodice and Christmas plaid taffeta skirt. *sigh*

oooh...That would be amazing...

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'd like this, there's something very festive about Tartan! So I'm ordering this. I know I'll get loads of wear out of it.

BBBD.jpg

Amy Jeanne, where in the UK? I'm near York if you want a tour guide!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
*martini*time* said:
I always go RED. I love being the woman in the red dress. I always go for an understated dress then fashion it up with some accessories.

Me too! Red is my favourite colour anyway, and Christmas my favourite season. I have a red cashmere sweater dripping with sequins, and a silk-wool sweater with a fluffy red collar. I like to do my makeup in frosty tones, too :)

This year I suppose I'll wear my slinky $15.00 satin number:

CAFTCADPurchases004.jpg

Probably with black stockings, definitely with a white wool bolero. Brr.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Count me in with the ladies with no place to go. For years, my husband worked at places that held black tie holiday parties, but this company is so small there is no party. For years, we have hosted a New Year's Eve party, but we're still recovering from his lay-off from last year. I suppose I could make something nice to wear to the family dinner, but as long as I'm not wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, I'm a step up from the rest of the family.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
*martini*time* said:
Ooh...15 bucks?! What a steal...i can tell you mine was FAAAR more then that! You'll look great! Red it what the confident wear (or so i've been told ;) )

Doesn't matter, Your dress is smokin' hot! When you wear it, you'd better get pictures, or I'll come over there and take some myself ;)

I wouldn't have a party to go to either if it weren't for the Lorne Scots annual Support the Troops Holiday dinner! Luckily it wasn't cut with the $80 million from the CDN Forces budget, cause it runs out of the armoury. The liquor sales in the mess hall will more than cover the costs for that night lol

Family is always casual. The tradition since I can remember is to pile over to one of my uncle's houses on Christmas Eve and feast on Chinese take out. Christmas day is spent in pajamas.

PS. Kitty_Sheridan, I love that tartan dress!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have my eye out for a tartan shirt dress just because I am enamoured of plaid, but I want to wear it for day to someplace really glamorous... like work. I may end up with just a plaid pencil skirt I can wear with various blouses, I haven't decided. Just a fun, cute winter style.

I have no party to go to, but I do as of tonight newly have custody of a cute eggplant purple velvet dress my sister wanted to find a good home for. THAT I don't believe I can wear to the office. Drat. It is quite cute.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
miss_smith said:
I usually don't either...so host one! As soon as I move out I'm having both tea parties and fancy dress dinners.
I really wouldn't know who to invite... I've been in this country for only a few years [huh] and the people I know either have other commitments or raise an eyebrow when I "dress up". Actually, scratch "either" and "or" and replace with "all" and "and" lol

Mirinda

New in Town
I love tartan fabric - Kitty_Sheridan, that dress is so beautiful!

Unfortunately I don't have plans for any big gatherings this year. Christmas will be spent just with my parents and sister (my extended Spanish family is really loud and my boyfriend doesn't speak much Spanish :p) and New Year's Eve will be in London- very intimate and small because of my baby niece.

:eek:fftopic: ( Next year I have to attend 2 weddings and 1 christening, all in London, so I hope you ladies can help me with ideas for that in a few months' time! )

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Medvssa said:
I really wouldn't know who to invite... I've been in this country for only a few years [huh] and the people I know either have other commitments or raise an eyebrow when I "dress up". Actually, scratch "either" and "or" and replace with "all" and "and" lol

:( Dress up for yourself? That is a hard one though. Not much motivation.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
miss_smith said:
:( Dress up for yourself? That is a hard one though. Not much motivation.
Oh yes I try to do that always :) of course not party clothes but I like to dress up for the day :) it actually helps with general motivation, I find. :D

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Kimono Chirstmas/New Year items

Lovely dresses, ladies :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have a number of kimono Christmas and New Year theme items.
Obi-dome, sash brooch.
08XmasObidome.jpg

Two Christmas theme obi. They are hand illustrated and dyed.
Back
08XmasSantaObi2W.jpg
08XmasObiBlue1W.jpg

Front
08XmasSantaObi1W.jpg
08XmasBlue3W.jpg

Obi-age, bustle tied around the top of the obi to hide the string from the pillow in the back to hold the back up. Also hand illustrated and dyed.
The brown one is for Christmas, the cream colored one for New Year.
08XmasObiBustle1W.jpg

Jyuban and han-eri, under kimono and *half* collar to protect the collar of the kimono from coming into direct contact with the neck, also serving as an accent around the neck. The han-eri shown here are also hand illustrated and dyed. The prints on the body of the jyuban are stencil dyes.
With Christmas han-eri. The jyuban prints are caricaturized kanji (Chinese character letters) to give moralistic meanings to the letters in addition to the original meaning. For instance, the letter kokoro (heart) is circular, meaning, have a *round* heart, a loving and forgiving heart.
08XmasJyuban.jpg

With New Year theme han-eri. The Daruma dolls are for good luck. The jyuban print are traditional toys of the animals that belong in the Eto, the Chinese zoology.
09NewYearJyuban1W.jpg

The Shirt

Practically Family
La Medicine
You are simply exquisite. How charming are those pieces. I especially love the snowflake obi.

My holidays will be different this year. Some won't be able to join due the the economy. I have a deep desire to spend it with my SO but his family is 600 miles from mine. I have a new stepfather and his extended family. I don't know how it will all work out. Everyone holds their breath to see what concoction I will be wearing every year because I am WAY overdressed. Generally I have a work party that is quite fancy and I refuse to only wear something once. So I take the frock home and wear it for Christmas eve as well with the family while they all wear expandable pants.

I'm thinking it may be a good year to make a nice tartan plaid circle skirt. Kitty - I adore that dress - just perfect! C-dot - you're dreamy. Who am I missing?!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot:Don't worry, there will be lots of pictures...I have to do a size comparison about my girdle on my blog so the pics will be on there. I'll let you know. But of course there will be a picture of me and grant lookin' all snazzed up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic