Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for the Holiday / Christmas party season

Welcome to the FL 1coolkitten!
Here is a thread you may be interested in:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11070&highlight=sewing+lessons+faq
It addresses a lot of the points you mentioned.
1*Cool*Kitten said:
Ladies of the FL~
(Please forgive errors of spelling & punctionation I tried to dl the spell thingy & it wouldn't do it!)
I might warn you I have the afore mentioned patterns on the pervious posts, along with one that I was going to show all of you that I've cut out 3 weeks ago,started sewing at 9 am on sunday the 8th (It was a very simple dress I've made thousands of over the years) should have been a 4 hour dress from the time I got the material out of the washer/dryer to the time I put it on to mark the hem!Yeah! not this pattern! it was a McCall's # M4769!Just 2 weeks previous to that I'd made a girl at the Beauty shop her Holloween costume (that's another story). When i finely got the McCalls "Housedress" ready for button's I'd heard my size 2 daughter come home!(don't gasp ladies She had GBS!What she went through, OMG!) I, for all my life, have been a size 10-12 my figures a little "fuller" now! Hips 42,Bust 35,waste 37/38 I'm a PEAR!:eusa_doh: ok so now that you get an idea of my shape..... the housedress would have been great!I KNOW BETTER from years of sewing~ I KNOW BETTER!Never cut out your pattern on your fabric until you've gareenteed the pattern to be accurate! which I haven't done on so many occassions! I just cut out a swing coat out of Fleece finsihed it tonight actually! in a Medium!Butterick B4928.cut out the MEDIUM......I'm swimming in it! :rage: This is crazy! I'm telling you ladies buy a bolt of Muslin for $20 (ok $30) but still what that saves you in the long run is worth it!
I was so agravated that my pretty little green plaid housedress fits my daughter perfectly eventhough I cut the size 18 out and DIDN"T take the 5/8" seams I was so upset that I said if you don't wear this dress I'm finding one of the ladies on the Lounge to sell it to! she loves the color!the matched plaid,& the "cute cuffs" she say's "but one thing....[then she put her hands on the side seams & much to her surprize she found] pockets!" she was amazed!
I'm just telling you ladies befor you ruin beautiful black velvet or georgous taffeta.........make a "sample" out of cheap muslin first! (& Don't forget to wash & dry that fabric first befor you cut it out!!!)
OK my job is done! Whew!

cynroux

Familiar Face
Grant Fan said:
I bought this last year to wear to a formal holiday occasion at my boyfriends base in Japan, I even got fabulous red satin peep toes shoes to go with it. A week before I left the moved the date of the event up a few days and it wound up being the on the day I was flying out there :eusa_doh: . So I didn't get to use it as intended. I have worn it once for a cocktail party but I plan to use it this year if i go anywhere fancy for Christmas.
Green007.jpg

Green008.jpg

Girl, green DEFINITELY works for you!:eusa_clap

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
miss_smith said:
I usually don't either...so host one! As soon as I move out I'm having both tea parties and fancy dress dinners.

I've got no place to go. Would love to have an occassion to get dressed up all vintage. But I guess that goes with the territory of life as a single mom with no invites here in New England where, we've only lived less than a year.

shopgirl61 said:
I've got no place to go. Would love to have an occassion to get dressed up all vintage. But I guess that goes with the territory of life as a single mom with no invites here in New England where, we've only lived less than a year.

I know how hard it can be to move someplace new - hang in there!

Now, dress up anyway and show us some pictures of yourself - we'd love to see!

And if you have no way to post pictures, just tell us about your oiutfits and we'll enjoy the fun along with you.

:)

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Grant Fan said:
I bought this last year to wear to a formal holiday occasion at my boyfriends base in Japan, I even got fabulous red satin peep toes shoes to go with it. A week before I left the moved the date of the event up a few days and it wound up being the on the day I was flying out there :eusa_doh: . So I didn't get to use it as intended. I have worn it once for a cocktail party but I plan to use it this year if i go anywhere fancy for Christmas.
Green007.jpg

Green008.jpg

I LOVE green for Christmas/holiday parties. I'm dreaming of a forest green velvet dress at the moment, but yours is so bombshell. Love it!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
dgenevieve said:
I LOVE green for Christmas/holiday parties. I'm dreaming of a forest green velvet dress at the moment, but yours is so bombshell. Love it!

I love green at Christmas too and I feel I can use it more when it isn't holiday time, and it is so vasty over looked as a holiday color to wear, everyone always uses red. I hope ou find your velvet dress if you please post pictures I would love to see it.

I love green for the holidays, as well. I'm considering re-working my old green tartan taffeta skirt and blouse , since I am no longer that size (or likely to be any time soon). Plus, it's more of an Louisa May Alcott look.

Wonder where I can get some tartan taffeta 1940's inspiration....anyone?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I'm bumping this up...

I only own 4 vintage items of clothing and none are exactly "festive". I think I'm too late to really find anything holiday in my size and get it here in time to finish it off with shoes/accessories.

Since I've been feeling the 50's, think I could get by with a red or green cardigan and maybe a vintage pin or something?

What is everyone else planning? I need inspiration for next year!

Inky

One Too Many
23SkidooWithYou said:
I'm bumping this up...

I only own 4 vintage items of clothing and none are exactly "festive". I think I'm too late to really find anything holiday in my size and get it here in time to finish it off with shoes/accessories.

Since I've been feeling the 50's, think I could get by with a red or green cardigan and maybe a vintage pin or something?

What is everyone else planning? I need inspiration for next year!

You could certainly wear a skirt and a red or green cardi with a holiday brooch. I think that would be lovely look and very practical and comfy.

I wore a similar one to the holiday swing dance last weekend (black swing skirt/red ankle socks with red/white saddles/red argyle cardi/rhinestone sparkly pin/black beret) and everyone said I looked very festive even though it wasn't even really "holiday" wear.

I'd rather have classic useful pieces I can wear often or to different occasions than one thing that screams christmas.

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
*martini*time* said:
This was last years dress:

4762526_34305_lphoto.jpg

And this is this years:

jazminredt.jpg

I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm wearing seamed stockings and patent pumps.

I love red...can't you tell. I got alot of great compliments on the first one. It's very flattering.

BTW: Congrats on the weight loss AmateisGal. I'm sure you'll look great in anything you wear!

Ohh the 2nd dress (but in a full skirt) was my New Years dress last year! <3 It fits Beautifully! I wore it to the Mai Kai and had lots of (Tipsy) fun. It really is a party dress. Prepare to get plenty of compliments! <3

mentha

Familiar Face
I'm in the midst of sewing a lovely, simple black dress that I can also wear on a daily base (full skirt, 3/4 sleeves and a poloshirt type neckline), but I don't think I'll get it done before the holidays... I'm using a very soft, flowy jersey type fabric which is reeeeaaaally nice, but also very, very difficult to work with. I still need to cut out about 10 pattern pieces, but that takes a load of time because not only does the fabric slide away all the time, my pencils/chalk/whatever won't show up on it. So I've had to resort to basting around my pattern pieces and that takes a lot of time.You'd think 2 weeks should be enough to finish, if only I hadn't started working as a freelance graphic/webdesigner with a big assignment that has to be done by the end of the month...
Well, guess I'm going to have to give up on sleeping for a while... ;)

bunny chan

Familiar Face
LaMedicine said:
For the Christmas event at my workplace.
08XmasTatsugoOrange1W.jpg

At the Christmas party of a cozy Jazz piano bar in Tokyo.
08XmasBlue4W.jpg

Closeup of the neckline.
08XmasBNeckDet1W.jpg
La;edicine, your kimono looks faboulous!!! I will be in Japan during christmas holiday! Maybe I'll also buy a vintage kimono for me ;) !

B.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
GrantFan, Martini Time and C-Dot, you've inspired me. I have a party to go to on Friday and I wasn't planning on getting all decked out, but you ladies look so pretty and like you're enjoying yourselves so much you make me want to share in the fun. :)

Time to rifle through my closet...

Inky

One Too Many
alright i finally have a proper holiday party to attend on saturday for my husband's air force base med group party - the first time I'll meet most of these folks so we're going about as demure as I personally can pull off - i'm as demure as a herd of cattle ;)

Here's the plan for clothes and styling, unsure about the hair yet, probably just a side part curled "do" with the hat slightly back (no veil).

4190392715_4f97d69f21_o.jpg

Avalon

A-List Customer
Our office holiday party is very relaxed this year - in fact, we're not even leaving the office - so I'll be wearing my black suit, and switching out the jacket for a Marilyn-styled black chenille sweater (with festive pin, of course).

Grant Fan, that dress is stunning! :eek:

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Inky said:
alright i finally have a proper holiday party to attend on saturday for my husband's air force base med group party - the first time I'll meet most of these folks so we're going about as demure as I personally can pull off - i'm as demure as a herd of cattle ;)

Here's the plan for clothes and styling, unsure about the hair yet, probably just a side part curled "do" with the hat slightly back (no veil).

4190392715_4f97d69f21_o.jpg

OH INKY!!
You are going to look absolutly stunning in your gear! Make sure you post pics! I cant wait to see your outfit!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran