Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing Modern, but classy

Brevetti

New in Town

Definitely check out RealMenRealStyle. The author, Antionio Centeno, puts a big emphasis on the fit of clothing, and I totally agree with this. Some of his ideas come off as more of fashion advice than true classic style (i.e. saying that tall men should wear their pants uncuffed), but for the most part, it's a good site. Reading it helped me build my confidence to dress better. Along with The Art of Manliness, RealMeanRealStyle is what got me into the Golden Era revival.

As Twill suggested above, try to keep the vintage aesthetic in mind when shopping for clothes. A modern suit can look so much more elegant with a starched white shirt, collar bar, and authentic 1930s tie.

Otateral

Familiar Face
I picked up a sportcoat on ebay recently, for what I thought was pretty cheap. ($20). I took it in to my tailor (an older soft spoken man that is a genius) and his eyes lit up a little. I guess it's fairly old, but maybe not quite vintage. Brand is Louis Roth. He said he hadn't seen one in some time, but told me about the company and that they made good clothes.

I guess it was a changeup from the stream of CK, DKNY and Zegna suits he sees.

I got the waist let in to give it more of a slim look, and of course the sleeves shortened. When I get it back Tuesday, I'll post some pics.

To me, its "vintage" done in a modern way, that appeals to me. Mix and match.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This is basically what I'm trying to do, especially the "modern does the '60s" look, but I'm not planning on having exaggeratedly narrow lapels or ties. There's a lot of stuff that's tasteless in modern fashion, but I agree with the trim-fitting (not to be confused with tight fitting) clothes aesthetic, especially for the younger crowd. I don't own a fedora under 2 1/8 inches wide, but I think brims between 1 7/8 to 2 inches would look good on me too.

Now, Styleforum, I go there sometimes too, but they seem kinda rude to newcomers. If you didn't post a picture of yourself wearing perfectly trim-fitting clothes, you're going to get some very blunt criticism. There's still some inspiration I take from that board though. Some of the members favor wearing traditional (felt, straw) hats as well, mainly fedoras.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points