Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing nice in the modern world can lead to trouble?

...Living in Canada, I've noticed a huge increase in the amount of expensive, brand name clothing people go crazy for. Mainly that of Canada Goose jackets....

In NYC, this year, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that one in four winter coats in the expensive neighborhoods have that "Canada Goose" patch. Quite often, I see couples where they are wearing matching or similar coats both with that patch. I had no idea what it was, so I Googled it after I started seeing it everywhere: I thought it might be some social or political cause as the patch is so prominent and so many people were wearing it. I was surprised to learn it was just a logo.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never seen that logo here, at least not yet. Up here, everyone's a rugged outdoorsy type wearing those puiffy "North Face" coats, even those who'd get winded on an escalator.

My own coat is Harris Tweed, but the label is, you know, on the inside. The only logo on the outside of the coat is my UAW button on the lapel.

North Face was the go-to coat, it seems, a few years ago and I still see plenty of them, but my God, the Canadian Goose one burst onto the scene this year (how does everyone even know to buy it, if that's your thing). My go-to winter coat is a classic grey wool overcoat bought in 1995 (I think) that is on its second lining, has a little fraying at the sleeves, but is still decent looking and serviceable. All labels are on the inside. Oh, and as opposed to coats today, it goes down below my knees so it actually keeps one warm on a cold day (how did it ever make sense to cut off a winter coat above the knee - like almost all are today - away from jobs, activities etc., where that would make practical sense)?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is a question I have long pondered as I watch people shivering up the street on cold winter nights wearing just a puffy vest over their street clothes. Apparently a heated house, heated garage, and heated car have convinced them that the outside world itself should also be so equipped, and they get fussy and resentful that it isn't.

I always compliment theatre patrons who arrive wearing a full-length coat for their common sense in the face of Maine winters. I used to work with a guy in radio who wore a 1920s Joe College-style raccoon coat to make sales calls -- he never, ever complained about being cold.

Appropo to this thread, my favorite are the professional panhandlers who will dress in business attire and pretend to be from out of town and out of gas.

For over twenty years now, I have been hearing some version of the story - from usually decently dressed young people - about how they lost their wallet / money and only need $x to get a bus / train ticket home which - if I will write out my name and address - they will send back to me. Some are really, really good at selling this story as, even though I know it is fake, I've once or twice caught myself being sucked in for a moment or two. What is a shame is that if it were ever true, I'd never believe it, but if I knew it to be true, I'd be glad to help.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
.....apparently a heated house, heated garage, and heated car have convinced them that the outside world itself should also be so equipped, and they get fussy and resentful that it isn't.

Happens every morning! :(

16b0dbm.jpg

Wells

Familiar Face
In NYC, this year, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that one in four winter coats in the expensive neighborhoods have that "Canada Goose" patch. Quite often, I see couples where they are wearing matching or similar coats both with that patch. I had no idea what it was, so I Googled it after I started seeing it everywhere: I thought it might be some social or political cause as the patch is so prominent and so many people were wearing it. I was surprised to learn it was just a logo.

I thought the same thing when I first saw people wearing them. Surely enough, it's just a logo. And now all the cheaper clothing company's are throwing patches on their sleeves as well, to give it that "Canada Goose" look.

For over twenty years now, I have been hearing some version of the story - from usually decently dressed young people - about how they lost their wallet / money and only need $x to get a bus / train ticket home which - if I will write out my name and address - they will send back to me. Some are really, really good at selling this story as, even though I know it is fake, I've once or twice caught myself being sucked in for a moment or two. What is a shame is that if it were ever true, I'd never believe it, but if I knew it to be true, I'd be glad to help.

I've had that happen, but just the other day, I had nice young lady come up to me at the convenience store, looking completely frazzled, explaining that she was mortified, but could I spare a dollar, as she's pumped her gas, then realized she was a dollar short on payment. Being that I was wearing a hat (and she was really cute), of course I gave her a dollar. She thanked me profusely, immediately ran in the store and gave the clerk the money, then ran back out to her car. Twenty years ago I'd have gotten her number.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
This is a question I have long pondered as I watch people shivering up the street on cold winter nights wearing just a puffy vest over their street clothes. Apparently a heated house, heated garage, and heated car have convinced them that the outside world itself should also be so equipped, and they get fussy and resentful that it isn't.

I always compliment theatre patrons who arrive wearing a full-length coat for their common sense in the face of Maine winters. I used to work with a guy in radio who wore a 1920s Joe College-style raccoon coat to make sales calls -- he never, ever complained about being cold.

upload_2016-3-3_13-55-19.png
upload_2016-3-3_14-8-1.png
upload_2016-3-3_14-9-12.png

I picked this ANJ-4 AAF jacket up last November. It's very warm: have not had a single occasion this winter where it hasn't kept me very warm. Problem is: my rear end is still exposed to the cold. Not a big deal most of the time, but when we go up to northern Wisconsin for a weekend I feel the howling winds where the jacket stops. The jacket, like the B-3, was designed to be worn at high altitude with a pair of shearling overalls... and unless I'm going to take up driving a snowmobile (or a B-17!), I can't see that purchasing them would be cost effective.

This was a significant purchase for me, but I told my wife that as far as I'm concerned it's already paid for itself this winter. Her reply: Yeah... you keep telling yourself that.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-3_13-54-5.png
    upload_2016-3-3_13-54-5.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 172
Are you sometimes greeted by younger unknown kids, which seemed to be interested or attentive, because of your clothes?

With my hazelnut-brown porksplit-leatherjacket and my hazelnut traveller-hat, I probably looked like some kind of german cowboy or so. :D The younger boy even waved out of their passing car. But it's a boy from my surrounding area, which knows me from sight and he greeted me a few times and I greeted back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24