Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing quickly in an emergency...

EvenOdd said:
I'm not sure what the keys for the police are for. If the assailants are in your main home area, can't the police get in the same way they did? Is this because they might lock the police out behind them when they enter? Just curious.
Most burgalars come in unseen thru the back. The keys allow the cops to enter your home from the front with out destroying your front door. (I doubt most home owners insurance would cover the police kicking down or battering down the front door.) If the burgalars came in thru a window it is "bad form" to follow the same way as it is more dificult for the police to enter a home and protect themselves passing thru a window.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
You can always buy more clothes

More clothes!? Sacrilege, I know

I keep all the irreplaceables in a trunk which I use for a coffee table in the lounge room close to the front door.

It holds all my photo negatives, backup DVDs (including CDs etc ripped to MP3 format as backup), certificates and assorted momentos that can't be replaced.

In case of fire etc. I throw something on and grab the trunk on the way out the door, dragging it behind me.

As for the clothes, computers etc, that's what insurance is for! Insurance gets you a new PC, the clothes which I have picked up in dribs and drabs over the years I replace with nice tailormade threads that fit my difficult to fit into vintage 6'2" frame.

Sweet

Miss Brill

One Too Many
MikeBravo said:
More clothes!? Sacrilege, I know

I keep all the irreplaceables in a trunk which I use for a coffee table in the lounge room close to the front door.

It holds all my photo negatives, backup DVDs (including CDs etc ripped to MP3 format as backup), certificates and assorted momentos that can't be replaced.

I have my photos & papers in little fire safes & I keep them stored in a thick cedar wardrobe. I also have some of my keepsakes in a suitcase at the foot of my bed.

A few years ago I decided I'd sell off everything I wouldn't risk my life to save, but I didn't. lol I did decide I'd try to only buy things that won't break, or be damaged by floods or fires. I break that rule most of the time though.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Teekay44 said:
No one ever timed me, but I had my fire duty uniform on and only missed a step on the way to the truck. Even had my shirt tail tucked in. Then 3 sec to don the bunker gear and we were out the door.

My fastest time? Well...

The dispatch for the woman in labor in the apartment complex right across the street didn't get my (now ex-)wife and I out of bed. 99% of the time that's just an easy taxi ride to the hospital, and there was a crew on duty.

What got us up was less than a minute later when the dispatcher said "Officer on scene says the baby's crowning."

We both went from in bed sleeping to in the car fully dressed in about 1 minute.

By the time we walked in the door, the officer was standing there holding a (healthy) baby. The look on his face said "Thank God you're here, what do I do now?" without him actually saying a word. It made me wish I had a camera.

-Jake

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't wear shoes in the house and I'm not likely to look for them. I'm grabbing dogs, the cats, my assorted and sundry relatives, and if its a big neighborhood/natural disaster problem the wonderful older woman who lives next-door, and running for the hills.

In anything I'm wearing at the time, which thank goodness is at least, I can guarantee, not pink velour sweatpants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland