Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing vintage in the workplace

calendargirl

New in Town
I was just wondering the ladies that are still in school, how vintage do you go?

Whenever I do it I feel wildly out of place. Most girls are no makeup, leggings, sweatshirt, Uggs, and hair in a high pony tail. Seriously it's like the unofficial college uniform.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was just wondering the ladies that are still in school, how vintage do you go?

Whenever I do it I feel wildly out of place. Most girls are no makeup, leggings, sweatshirt, Uggs, and hair in a high pony tail. Seriously it's like the unofficial college uniform.

I'm in school. I'm mostly vintage-inspired, but I honestly wear what I like which is a mix of things. But I'm also a graduate student, so wearing a dress (or even a suit) isn't seen as being bad, but most fellow students at my level do mostly wear jeans. I do get stares (from men) when I cross the quad, but other than that I seem to do ok.

My senior year in college I wore a lot of skirts and nice shirts (think college student from the early 60s) and I never got any bad comments from it. It made it easier for my transition to the workplace.

I think it may depend on your field. In various places I've attended, those in business or anything business-like or business-related normally has at least a few students if not more who dress better than sweats.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer

Ugh, the girls on my campus seem to have the same exact unofficial uniform! It's great that they're so... relaxed, but I stick out like a sore thumb. I haven't let that alter my usual head-to-toe vintage routine, though. It's funny, if anything, being around so many casual dressers has made me much more conscientious and meticulous about my outfits; they inspire me to not let myself fall into the stereotypical "sloppy college student" mold (nothing wrong with that look, of course, it's just not my aesthetic). I'm a freshman this year, and I've found my style has also made me a magnet for the kinds of people I like; I've made quite a few friends through chatting about my outfits. It's also useful with professors-- in general, I've noticed they seem to really appreciate and even comment on how nice and polished I look, plus if you have a big lecture class, they'll be sure to remember your face at grading time:)

While my clothes are still very overtly vintage, I have started feeling insecure about my hair, of all things. Whereas in high school I regularly wore it in a beehive to rival Dusty Springfield or Dolly Parton, dyed my hair black, and had Bettie Page-esque bangs, since coming to college I've let my dye fade away and am much less inclined to reach for the teasing comb and Aquanet.

Marla

A-List Customer

The college-girl uniform you describe is proudly worn by esteemed young ladies even this far out west. Admittedly, it is a little disconcerting that even my female professors wear a shorter skirt than me, but feeling out of place on campus is something I've gotten over. I wore full-vintage in high school, and my high school peers there were much less accepting than their college counterparts. Let's just say I grew a thick skin. In college everyone is more tolerant, and no one has said anything rude to my face. It's important to not look or feel self-conscious, but to believe in what you are wearing. You're doing nothing wrong after all. I suppose it helps that I'm an art major though, we're expected to be eccentric and I hardly poke my nose out of the Liberal Arts building!

Overall, dressing in vintage has been a positive asset in my college career. It brings a lot of positive attention from professors. People who like my style strike up a conversation, and it usually turns out they have the same interests. The style, because it's very bold, works like a filter. It's the best way to meet like-minded people on a crowded campus.

Valya

New in Town

I'm still in high school, and the school I attend is a very, for lack of a better term, homogenous one. Everyone has the same "uniform" you described, although the girls at my school wear pounds of makeup, just not vintage-style, obviously. I'm relatively unknown at my school, probably because I stay out of the rumour mill, so I probably don't get the sam attention I would if I were higher up on the "ladder" (but don't get me started on that :p). I do feel very self concious dressing vintage at school, though, much more than in public, and I've gotten a few looks, but people who know me don't comment, so I guess I'm lucky. The only things I wear, though, is a 1940's suit jacket I made, as well as a few dresses and a pair of shoes, so the only thing that really attracts attention is the jacket.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I want to wear seamed stockings to work, but I'm undecided if this will come off as 'slutty' in the eyes of most people these days? Luckily at the moment I work mainly from home, so I don't have to worry about it too much.

FraeuleinBerlin, Wow, I wish that level of style was present at other universities too... :) I work at university of southampton & university of winchester, and there the style stakes aren't particularly high.. except for the occasional old professor wearing tweed and elbow patches :D. Most of my researcher colleagues wear fleece tops and jeans and trainers (that's being a geographer I guess).

I'm at the (great and noble) University of Cambridge, and dressing vintage here seems pretty requisite amongst the Fellows (those are the professors who belong to my college of the university... kind of hard to explain but teachers anyway!)... the men are all impeccably suited with shoes that cost more than my house, and I've never seen the English Director of Studies without a fur stole and stilettoes! Maybe all you teachers should come teach here and keep the glamour going?

xxx

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I want to wear seamed stockings to work, but I'm undecided if this will come off as 'slutty' in the eyes of most people these days? Luckily at the moment I work mainly from home, so I don't have to worry about it too much.

I did this for the first time last semester (black stockings with black seams, wore them maybe 6-7 times). I've gotten a few compliments, and I've also gotten a few questions. My favorite was from a fellow student/ friend who asked me "Don't those mean something, with the line in them?" (As in, is that a signal that you're open to certain things, a lady of the night, etc?). I just explained that they were made differently, tougher, and that they went with my hair. Then I showed her my garter belt and she was fascinated, she'd never seen one.

I've found the one advantage to being in a university environment is that no matter how weird I dress, I am surrounded by weird people, and probably more weirdly dressed people are on campus that day.

djd

Practically Family
I've taken to wearing cravats to work a lot. I like the look even if others think it's a little odd. I always dress differently anyway so this is just a different kind of odd! :)

Marla

A-List Customer

In the context of a vintage or vintage-inspired outfit seamed stockings hardly look alluring! I wear only seamed stockings with skirts, and have never had a negative (or any) comment about them. While it seems that our society has relegated seamed stockings and garter belts to the status of fetish wear, when paired with a modest skirt they lose that connotation (I hope). It would be amusing to hear a supervisor try to explain why seamed stockings are not appropriate in a professional setting.

Wear them without fear!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The type of shoes you wear with seamed hose can also make a difference in how they're perceived -- if you're wearing them to work with a pair of modest mid-heel pumps they'll be read differently than if worn with a pair of high, flashy platforms. That's kind of an extreme example, I know, but the point is if you're wearing something likely to attract that kind of attention, it's a good idea to low-key the rest of your outfit as much as possible.

Dark seams will also be read differently than self-colored seams, and heavier-weight hose will be read differently than ultra-sheer. I wear service weight full-fashioned hose with walking-heel oxfords at work, and never get any grief.

Last edited:

Marla

A-List Customer
The type of shoes you wear with seamed hose can also make a difference in how they're perceived -- if you're wearing them to work with a pair of modest mid-heel pumps they'll be read differently than if worn with a pair of high, flashy platforms. That's kind of an extreme example, I know, but the point is if you're wearing something likely to attract that kind of attention, it's a good idea to low-key the rest of your outfit as much as possible.

Dark seams will also be read differently than self-colored seams, and heavier-weight hose will be read differently than ultra-sheer. I wear service weight full-fashioned hose with walking-heel oxfords at work, and never get any grief.

That's a good point. Seams that are the same color as fabric of the hose are subtle. Contrasting-color seams are much more likely to attract attention to themselves. Unfortunately, the majority of seamed stockings available for sale are the black seams on sheer variety, but same-color seamed stockings can be found with a bit of searching. Personally, that's the kind I tend to favor. Red-seam stockings would be cute at a cocktail party, but at the work place they would likely garner negative attention. Depending on your work place...

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Thanks Maria and Lizzie! Yeah I guess you're right, if they're worn with more modest and work-appropriate clothes they won't be thought inappropriate. I'm going to be working at the university with students next week, so I'm going to go for it with my nude stockings with self-coloured seams!
I prefer black really, but as you say, the sheer black ones can look a bit more "suggestive" ;)

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I JUST got a new job at a bank. Business casual. I checked that everything I planned to wear fit within the specific guidelines, and it does, but then my mom, who also works there, warned me about "not standing out" and now I'm re-questioning everything. What do you think you think about this? Are swing skirts, 30s inspired repro dresses, red lipstick etc ok? Or was she just being overly-cautious/neurotic?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I JUST got a new job at a bank. Business casual. I checked that everything I planned to wear fit within the specific guidelines, and it does, but then my mom, who also works there, warned me about "not standing out" and now I'm re-questioning everything. What do you think you think about this? Are swing skirts, 30s inspired repro dresses, red lipstick etc ok? Or was she just being overly-cautious/neurotic?

Congratulations on your new job, Penny! Wow, working with your mom could be quite an experience.:D Regarding wearing vintage that you love vs. mom's admonition about "standing out," I think I'd go slow at first. She knows her staff/co-workers, and may be suggesting moderation in an effort to help you be accepted by the group of employees you'll be working with. Sometimes being the new girl is akin to being bait for the sharks. ;) I think maybe get comfortable with your duties, let people get to know you and ease in to your vintage style. Maybe you'll intrigue some of the ladies into venturing into a vintage style themselves. Good luck. :)

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
FraeuleinBerlin, Wow, I wish that level of style was present at other universities too... :) I work at university of southampton & university of winchester, and there the style stakes aren't particularly high.. except for the occasional old professor wearing tweed and elbow patches :D. Most of my researcher colleagues wear fleece tops and jeans and trainers (that's being a geographer I guess).

It's great isn't it? All the old buildings I guess - very inspiring. It's the Fellows that dress up old-fashioned here though, the other students just look like normal people. Personally, I think it's about weighing up how much attention you're willing to put up with against how uncomfortable you feel in other clothes. I get a few comments, albeit mostly positive, but I feel so horrible and not like myself wearing regular clothes that I think it's worth it!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
It's great isn't it? All the old buildings I guess - very inspiring. It's the Fellows that dress up old-fashioned here though, the other students just look like normal people. Personally, I think it's about weighing up how much attention you're willing to put up with against how uncomfortable you feel in other clothes. I get a few comments, albeit mostly positive, but I feel so horrible and not like myself wearing regular clothes that I think it's worth it!

Oh totally! That environment almost calls for it! it seems like quite an exciting but at the same time quite daunting place, but I have a friend who works there and loves it.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I'm planning to follow Lily Powers' suggestion for my first week at my new job...I'll stay true to my love of pencil skirts and cardigans, but will probably hold off on carrying a vintage bag, wearing super-red lipstick, crazy spectator shoes, or anything that screams vintage until I get to know the lay of the land. It took me years to work up to my current identity as "That quirky girl in marketing," by which point I had established that I could do the job. I'm going to try to blend into the background a bit while I get to know the new environment.

Penny Dreadful, have you started your new job yet?

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
I got a new job at a hotel, what would i wear i have a jean pencil skirt with a yellow and one pink top with white polka dots and a wide black belt. the manager said its causual, i'm dresing up anyway. would it be most approprate to go "vintage" suttlely with her? or bam?! all at once.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
I work for a company with a lot of creative employees, as well as business people and food service and everything in between. I have been continually upping my vintage look and the response has been very positive. Compared with the girls in form-fitting, designer jeans and 5" heels, I look respectable and demure.

The office is kept very cold all year though so every outfit must be paired with a cardigan or a jacket or I freeze.

This week, I went all vintage-inspired, from bright red lipstick to 40s-style heels and I had a shy, older man stop me and say "You look like what I imagined grown-ups would look like when I was a kid," and then he tugged on his subtle grey mutton chops. I thought it was the sweetest compliment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner