Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing well returns?

Zip Gun Aria

New in Town
I share your annoyance with many pieces in the NYT. However, I think the problem lies with the aims of entertainment journalism generally, not with the NYT in particular. I think the NYT contains more useful articles than certain other papers simply because it has access to such a broad range of contributors. However, like most mainstream papers, its focus is on the story at the expense of truth: reading events so as to cull something controversial or newsworthy from them. This usually involves interpreting events in ways that don't violate journalistic standards technically but are often breathtakingly wrong.

This is especially annoying when credit for something new is given arbitrarily -- when the subject is neither new nor exclusive to whatever group or person is being credited.

Edit: A book that relates to your important point about "consumption over connoisseurship":

Minima Moralia, by Theodor Adorno, who was himself a fan of good tailoring and handmade things. Here is a quote: "Genuine things are those to which commodities can be reduced or distilled, particularly gold. But like gold, genuineness, abstracted as an idea, becomes a fetish. . . . It is not man's luxurious indolence that is to be feared, but the spread of social agendas under the mask of the universal." In other words, the individuality expressed by one's clothes and interests is always in danger, once noticed, of being recast and hyped as the reflection of some bland and sweeping idea -- in this case, the Genuineness of Like-Minded Youth with Better Style. Handmade things, such as bespoke suits, go from actually being made that way to mass-produced things being called "bespoke" and getting marketed that way.

Sadly, that's happening right now -- see name brands like Nike and Levi's. Yes, they do use customized elements and a few prized materials (such as special blends of denim). But to call them bespoke is obscene.

Your point turns out to be especially pertinent because Coleman makes our interest in vintage clothes into a love poem to the modern mall-friendly version of Brooks Brothers, manufacturer of Mad Men's wardrobe.

Zip Gun Aria

New in Town
Yes, it's commonplace to read a piece of "shoddy journalism" in any age, contemporary or otherwise. But it's especially annoying when the piece applies to you, your own sense of style, and that of friends and other people you've known throughout your life.

Being ignored was more fun.

Geesie

Practically Family
I really don't think that the NYT lifestyle columnist(s) know what is really going on, ever.
What New Yorkers do, especially what New Yorkers that are observed and followed by NYT fashion editors do, is not relevant to the rest of the country. It may have been 60 years ago (or maybe not) but it isn't now.

Last night I took my wife to the ballet and afterwards we strolled through downtown and I certainly did not notice all the young people breaking from their usual weekending attire of overpriced jeans, dark striped shirts, and the occasional vomit stain.

Zip Gun Aria

New in Town
You won't even see what that article describes on the streets of NYC. You have to go to fashion schools like FIT, and places like Green Point, Dumbo and Williamsburg to find examples. Most younger people I see wear open unlaced boots or sneakers, niche jeans, and either untucked shirts (striped or windowpane), name brand sportswear, pea coats, ironic tees, hoodies, or less contemporary jackets for contrast. Some of the jackets and coats are well made, some are not. Many seem to be rediscovering work clothes and Red Wing Boots at the moment.

I love New York, but my fellow denizens forget: It's a town like any other and subject to local whims.

Zip Gun Aria said:
For those of us who have dressed that way all along, that article is insulting.

Meh. You get used to to it after a while. The vintage subculture is the one subculture that has never been really acknowledged by the media, and when it does, of course the clothes are referred to as costumes, but that's only until some fashion designer 'revives' a period look. That's why I can't understand how a lot of the guys on this side praise Ralph Lauren or any other auto-coronated king of retro/vintage style.

Regards,

Jack

mike

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Meh. You get used to to it after a while. The vintage subculture is the one subculture that has never been really acknowledged by the media, and when it does, of course the clothes are referred to as costumes, but that's only until some fashion designer 'revives' a period look. That's why I can't understand how a lot of the guys on this side praise Ralph Lauren or any other auto-coronated king of retro/vintage style.

Regards,

Jack

That's all fine & well but how are you and what's new?

Geesie

Practically Family
This summer, a couple friends of mine asked if I had seen the "madmenyourself.com" thing.

My response: You mean so I can see what I'd look like in a three-piece suit, fedora, and pipe?
lol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
A hard battle looking for a literary agent, plus the bottom seems to have dropped out of the crypto-proctology business. :(

Regards,

Jack

Bigfoot doesn't have a big problem with [GROSS!!!] ?

Zip Gun Aria

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
A hard battle looking for a literary agent, plus the bottom seems to have dropped out of the crypto-proctology business. :(

I'm a writer, too, and live in the same city as you. We should go for a quick drink at some point (my treat, since I'm flush for the moment). Feel free to dress down if you're feeling incognito.

I relate to your sartorial travails. A common comment on the street when I wear a black suit: "Are you going to a funeral?" Fun to wear to random dinners -- everyone else suddenly feels under-dressed.

The funniest thing to happen to me so far was having a female bank guard hit on me one afternoon when I was in pin stripes. "You all dressed up in a suit -- an' you look good in 'em!" That was about four years ago, though, and gravity might have changed the effect!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Living in the 80's

Selvaggio said:
If it's a trend it's not very obvious here in Sydney.

What I find interesting is that the article talks about the sloppy baby boomers and the guys in their twenties To early thirties, but doesn't really
mention my age group (I'm 42).

Of course we gen Xers invented the whole dress nice as a form of rebellion back in the eighties. I well remember stepping out in my Micheal J Fox inspired yellow power tie with matching braces, ox blood loafers, collar bars and armbands. That preppie trend didn't quite change the world and I don't suppose this one will either.

+1

OMG, we could be brothers. I've worn very similar outfits in the 80's as well (I'm 41). I remember the same outfit but with a different colored tie.

BTW, I LOVE oxblood colored shoes! But, they seem to be hard to find in the past couple of years.

I didn't start dressing in t-shirt and jeans until I was out of the army (the first time) and went to college. I studied archaeology and anthropology. The "uniform" of my crowd was then jeans and t-shirts. I guess we had to be ready to go and dig at any moment! lol

I was more of a punk in the early 80's, but by 83 or 84 I was sliding into the more New Romantic, and a little preppy.

I for one, am very happy that the "dressing smart" attitude is coming back. It freaks me out to see adults shopping in PJ's, or in t-shirts that haven't been washed in days and Birkenstocks with smelly feet that you can smell the next row over. :eek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Helysoune said:
Oh, that's me and my family all over. At my brother's wedding, my dad (51) wore a tux for the ceremony and then IMMEDIATELY after pictures were done, he flew into the restroom and changed into jeans. I was absolutely appalled!! There are pictures of him and my mother, who had the good grace to remain in her dress and heels all day, dancing and looking so mismatched.

That's my dad alright. Jeans, T-shirt. Earrings, necklace, bracelets, unshaven...

And yet he has three razors.

Dad complains I dress to conservatively; button-down shirt, trousers, belt, socks, shoes, zip-up vest (Oh what I'd do for an actual waistcoat), gold watch and chain. I figure if he can wear all that gawd-awful jewellery, I can wear a watch and chain, which is what a man SHOULD wear, thank you very much, father.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24