Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing well returns?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
yes on the not short or baggy boxers and oh yeah the sock garters...
32166327.JPG

love the retro hairstyle, the retro eyeglasses and this "combed, collared, cuffed" bit...
32183049.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shangas said:
That's my dad alright. Jeans, T-shirt. Earrings, necklace, bracelets, unshaven...

And yet he has three razors.

Dad complains I dress to conservatively; button-down shirt, trousers, belt, socks, shoes, zip-up vest (Oh what I'd do for an actual waistcoat), gold watch and chain. I figure if he can wear all that gawd-awful jewellery, I can wear a watch and chain, which is what a man SHOULD wear, thank you very much, father.

The symptoms indicate that you've contracted AlexPKeatonitis. It's terminal.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shangas said:
Would you care to define the symptoms and signs of this illness, Marc?

But of course:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iliLnQmaEOA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iliLnQmaEOA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

59Lark

Practically Family
dressing well in a sloppy world.

Was out xmas shopping in small deptment store and found myself the only one wearing a wool overcoat and fedora for sure, late in the music or electronic department got behind someone with a similar wool overcoat well dressed and when i looked at his reconized him, he is the local undertaker. Was in the seven eleven this morning saw a fella dressed well with overcoat and tie and he had a black toque on his head looked so out of place. He is a local pharmist, and his wifes wears hat, large oranate things . 59lark:eek:fftopic:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zip Gun Aria said:

I can't be the only person here who is old enough to remember the many examples of people and cultural strata dressing vintage over the past fifteen years ...

Ironically, you don't seem to realize that this fascination with the Golden Era kicked off a good ten to fifteen years earlier than fifteen years ago. I personally have been heavily into it, along with a few hundred other locals, since 1985, and I was a latecomer!

But your heart is certainly in the right place even if your dates are off. We can't say the same for the writer of that article. And he got PAID money to be that inaccurate! Sort of a Judith Miller thing, I guess.

Story

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find a shoddy, smarmy, and superficial piece of "lifestyle journalism" in the contemporary media.

Your winnings, Mademoiselle.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Paisley said:
A few years ago at the office, a young staff person asked a 50-year-old senior manager whether it was OK to leave a button-down collar unbuttoned. The senior manager asked if he was talking about skateboarders or adults at a CPA firm.

Maybe it's just that Denver is behind the curve, but my 20-something coworkers have to be told not to come to work on Saturdays wearing baseball caps and ripped jeans.

I agree with the first part. You should maintain a businesslike appearance, if your chosen work calls for it. I'm not big on Casual Friday's either, But, if you want me to work on my day off, you're going to get what you get. I'm going to be wearing jeans and maybe a polo shirt.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
SlyGI said:
+1

OMG, we could be brothers. I've worn very similar outfits in the 80's as well (I'm 41). I remember the same outfit but with a different colored tie.

BTW, I LOVE oxblood colored shoes! But, they seem to be hard to find in the past couple of years.

I didn't start dressing in t-shirt and jeans until I was out of the army (the first time) and went to college. I studied archaeology and anthropology. The "uniform" of my crowd was then jeans and t-shirts. I guess we had to be ready to go and dig at any moment! lol

I was more of a punk in the early 80's, but by 83 or 84 I was sliding into the more New Romantic, and a little preppy.

I for one, am very happy that the "dressing smart" attitude is coming back. It freaks me out to see adults shopping in PJ's, or in t-shirts that haven't been washed in days and Birkenstocks with smelly feet that you can smell the next row over. :eek:

A kindred spririt! My journey started with a more ska look in the early eighties - buttoned up light pink penguin (polo) shirt, black stove-pipe pants, very pointy shoes (we call them winklepickers), pale grey elastic braces, black pork-pie pushed wayyy back, very short hair. Never did the new romantic thing.

Then morphed via Family Ties/Brideshead Revisited into argyle sweaters, tassle-topped loafers, long fringe worn back. Replace the elastic braces with silk et voila! 1987! How this can be claimed as some kind of brand new trend is very strange to me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lone_Ranger said:
But, if you want me to work on my day off, you're going to get what you get. I'm going to be wearing jeans and maybe a polo shirt.

Anyone can wear anything to work...as long as they're writing the checks and their clients don't mind having their taxes done by the Jonas Brothers.

Slanbrep_Knugh

New in Town
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I happened to notice this:

Ironically, you don't seem to realize that this fascination with the Golden Era kicked off a good ten to fifteen years earlier than fifteen years ago. I personally have been heavily into it, along with a few hundred other locals, since 1985, and I was a latecomer! But your heart is certainly in the right place even if your dates are off. We can't say the same for the writer of that article. And he got PAID money to be that inaccurate! Sort of a Judith Miller thing, I guess.

While I applaud your decorum in calling ZGA "ironically" out of touch (nice touch saying his heart's in the right place), I'm not sure he deserves that charge at all -- at least not for that post. He was speaking of the past fifteen years as a continuation point for old school sartorial resurrection, not the origin, and even mentioned his age to qualify what he said.

Yeah, I remember people dressing vintage from way back, too, but I don't think he excluded way back. He's only saying there's a line of continuation.

The real problem is that fads bring scarcity and higher prices for me and silly associations for others. Then again, why let other people's associations define you -- especially when their conclusions need more context than a TV series from 2009?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24