Drinks and Cigars in Film

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by poetman, Jan 26, 2013.

1. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

There are threads about hats in films, cars, suits, all types of golden era delights. What films display drinks and cigars in particularly aesthetic ways. Granted, every golden era film has an abundance of cigarettes and drinks, but they're so often displayed in this kind of matter-of-fact manner. In what films do you feel fine smokes and spirits take a
    particularly distinct role?

2. xXClockwork

xXClockwork New in Town

Bogart in the dark in Casablanca:

[​IMG]

3. penates

penates Familiar Face

Casper Gutman and Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon

4. xXClockwork

xXClockwork New in Town

Not a movie, but I've always loved the lonely, contemplative Sinatra having a smoke on a deserted street in the middle of the night:

[​IMG]

5. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

'In Which We Serve'

Celia Johnson mixes Noel Coward a cocktail - A Kinross Special. It's a great name (he plays Captain Kinross) for a cocktail, the trouble is that they never say what's in it.

I want to be able to get home and tell my wife (or the kids) to mix me a Kinross Special - it just sounds good.

6. poetman

poetman A-List Customer

I've always loved Edward G. Robinson's cigars in Key Largo as well as the image of Babe Ruth at the plate with a cigar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

I love to watch Jason Robbards pensively play with his cigar in the scene from Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid. You can tell he knows and enjoys a good cigar.

[video=youtube;cEby4rCDc4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cEby4rCDc4Y[/video]