Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I've been dreaming of owning a classic car since I was a kid, but I honestly don't know where to start. Should I get a project car and slowly fix it up? I do not have much automotive experience so I'm leaning away from that. Or should I go all out and get something that is for the most part finished knowing that nothing is ever finished really and enjoy the car for as long as I can.

My dream car? An early 1940s Buick Special.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Vim, if you can afford it, you should always start with the nicest, most complete car you can find. There are plenty of opportunities to tinker once you've got one, and projects are rarely a good investment.

That being said, projects are worthwhile if you either cannot afford a complete example all at once and/or just derive pleasure from gathering and building a project.

-Dave

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I have a 1936 Austin Seven Opal, and much as I like driving it - and it is very easy to drive - I do not use it as an everyday car.

People are just FAR too impatient these days for a car that only does about 45 - 50mph top speed. Even when they should only be doing 30mph as that is the speed limit in that area, they tailgate, don't give you any space and can't wait to pass you. The other week I was coming up to where two lanes narrowed into one (I was in the slow lane, obviously) just before some traffic lights and a big people carrier nearly ran me off the road in their rush to get a car length ahead of me! It was also tipping down with rain, so you can imagine how dangerous this was. I was furious and hit the horn damned hard but they didn't even look around. Selfish driving is rife here.

This is in England, but we have found that in France people are very good about giving you the space and generally smile and wave, happy to see an old car. We have driven a 1935 Riley Kestral across France and had a wonderful motoring experience. My boyfriend now has a 1934 Triumph Monte Carlo and it goes fast so that isn't a problem. Infact people are usually surprised we overtake them so easily.

As for mantainence, luckily my boyfriend is the handy type. It's been leaking oil quite badly, which is apparently 'common' for Austin Sevens, and he has to remove the flywheel to get that sorted, so it's off the road till that's all fixed. We've had some other gremlins that needed sorting too, so they are certainly not for the faint hearted.

Here I am with it earlier in the year at Brooklands on the famous racetrack on their Austin and Morris Day.
048.jpg

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What a lovely car Miss Sis.

Interesting comments on the reactions of other drivers. I was wondering if that might be a problem when I buy the Morris Eight. I don't intend to take it for long journeys so will try to avoid motorways (where I imagine most of the problems with slow cars & impatient drivers occur).

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
I'd say the oil leaks thing is pretty British. It's like a joke I heard once - Q: "what's a British bike without an oil leak?" A: "a counterfeit". I jest, of course.

I know lots of cats with old cars - a number of friends of mine take them on long road trips espec. to Viva Las Vegas. The breakdowns and unplanned stops are par for the course. You really SHOULD have some mechanical ability or more than a passing interest in acquiring these skills if you entertain the idea of owning a vintage car. Either that or you should have very deep pockets. A car club membership with a generous towing allowance never hurts, either. You will save $$ once you have the tools and the skills, however as old cars are easily self-maintained.

As long as you like getting dirty.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Cars 2 includes a poke at the British auto's propensity to leak oil. Though ironically the "British" engine they make fun of as a major plot point was actually a Buick design.

-Dave

If I had the money, I'd buy one done already. You spend more doing the project and usually end up hating the damn car by the time you're done, at least I did with the projects I've done. You buy it done, gas up, go, and just do routine maintenance and, I think they're a lot more fun. Just never buy one for a daily driver, also learned that the hard way.
I've been dreaming of owning a classic car since I was a kid, but I honestly don't know where to start. Should I get a project car and slowly fix it up? I do not have much automotive experience so I'm leaning away from that. Or should I go all out and get something that is for the most part finished knowing that nothing is ever finished really and enjoy the car for as long as I can.

My dream car? An early 1940s Buick Special.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Listen to Tom on this one...
The same goes for Streetrods so I've learned.
You build your first one, buy the other ones after it.
I enjoy tinkering with mine, did so today actually, and I almost kick myself for running it so low to the ground. Looks good but it's a pain in the rear when I can't slide under the running boards to reach screws or bolts I dropped.
Find something you like (year, body style, etc) then start looking.
Try classic cars global's site, it loads a bit slow because it's global!
I've found nice early 70's Lincoln Continentals, turnkey, but I've got nowhere to keep one.
Don't be intimidated by the site, prices are from low thousands to POA (or call for the price).
Just scroll down to the search function and start browsing.
http://www.classiccarsglobal.com

Here's your Buick Special, only found 2 on this site.
One for $50K in the UK, left hand though, the other for less than $3K complete car to start restoring.
http://www.classiccarsglobal.com/se...sb=1&currency=1&curren=&x=65&y=11#adcontainer

Last edited:
It also comes down to what kinda guy you are. Some guys love being able to get neck deep in grease and motor oil all the time. I was this way until my 3rd or 4th project. Now I'm happier washing and waxing my baby in the driveway, then driving around town waving to people who are throwing thumbs ups and yelling 'nice car'.

Chas

One Too Many
re: streetrods and slamming it down to the ground: go with airbags. It'll save you a lot of cussing.

For the newbie: buy a restored daily driver, even if it isn't the car you want. Then you can tinker and learn as you go.

For the serious car tinkerer: learn how to weld. It will save you bags of money. You can rent a lot of equipment nowadays so you won't need to buy huge amounts of stuff. Nothing beats putting in your own rocker panels and floor pans - if that rusted out car that you just bought needs them. Very satisfying stuff.

The hardest things I have ever had to do (as a hobby) was interior work. I tried doing tuck and roll, and failed miserably. It's also physically demanding work; you are hunched over in a car, pulling, cutting and stitching stuff, removing door panels etc. etc. And just TRY putting a door back on once you have taken it off. It's NOT easy!

Last edited:
For the more popular classics, full-size 55-72 Bel-Air/Impala's, I can vouch for, there are interior kits. Also did one once for a 31 Model A. Pretty much plug and play.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice chums!

Buying any classic car will have tow ait until I am done paying off my new car, plus I don't want one while I'm in Juneau. It's too much of a hassle getting it here and taking it with me when I am transferred.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
My 50 Plymouth Special Deluxe hit the pavement last Friday night for the first time in 10 months! Took her a few miles from the shop to a local cruise night, great reception on her new look but scary as hell driving her. Gas pedal linkages are still not correct to work smoothly so it's either idling or rocketing. I'm tired of tweaking the original linkages and not getting any better results so I think I'm gonna swap the entire system for a throttle cable setup. She sounds awesome though and looks great, I'll post some pics soon.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice chums!

Buying any classic car will have tow ait until I am done paying off my new car, plus I don't want one while I'm in Juneau. It's too much of a hassle getting it here and taking it with me when I am transferred.

When you leave Alaska, drive back via North Dakota and pick one up. From the advertisements, it seems to be the land that rust forgot.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran