Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

Miss Sis

One Too Many
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What a lovely car Miss Sis.

Interesting comments on the reactions of other drivers. I was wondering if that might be a problem when I buy the Morris Eight. I don't intend to take it for long journeys so will try to avoid motorways (where I imagine most of the problems with slow cars & impatient drivers occur).

Thanks Lolly. Unfortunately, it's everwhere they are impatient. I wouldn't dream of taking it on a motorway - that would be suicidal!

Talbot

One Too Many
Country lanes and back roads are best. Pick a nice warm blue sky day. The smell of machinery, the whine of gears, bias ply's gripping the road (sorta) and the sound of a content engine.

Mix with the caress of a gentle breeze on your face and serve!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Alongside “glass that bends” and talking flashlights, exhibits at the 1939 New York World’s Fair included the first full-sized transparent car ever made in America, a cool clear car that could be yours.

The 1939 Pontiac Plexiglas Deluxe-Six Ghost Car is going under the auctioneer’s hammer July 30, 2011, in Michigan, and the slick bit of kit could fetch as much as $475,000.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/06/clear-car-showcases-the-miracle-of-plexiglas/

Dubbed the ‘Ghost Car’ it has clocked up just 140km (86 miles) in its lifetime and is thought to be a visionary in design principles.

‘This motor still turns heads as much as it ever did,’ said a spokesman for RM Auctions which is selling the vehicle in Michigan on July 30.

'The car is in a remarkable state of preservation. It's a testament to the longevity of Plexiglas in an era when automotive plastics tended to self-destruct within a few years.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/868409...-fetch-up-to-300-000-at-auction#ixzz1RayVcC14

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Oh man I'm not having a good morn with this website and yesterday it wouldn't load at all! I've been trying to load a few new pics of my 50 Plymouth from last friday night when she hit the road for the first time since last september. Tons of new goodies under the hood and freshly cleaned and polished. She's sitting next to my buddies Stock 51 Chevy (only mod is one coil of the front springs).
1000599r.jpg

1000600.jpg

1000602.jpg

1000603xk.jpg

1000598kk.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today was a good day to take the old '48 Plymouth out for a ride, so I loaded up the grandchildren and off we went.

DSC06164.jpg

We made our way from our house in Nebo along old highway 70 to the other side of Old Fort to Andrews Geyser. The geyser was built in 1912 as a tourist spot along the old road to Asheville, NC and along the railroad route (there was even a hotel there in the early days). The ride is about a 20 mile trip from the house along the back roads of western NC.

As it was hot today, we had all the windows down and all the vents open in the car. We were cruising down the road at about 50 mph with a good strong wind blowing through the car. Apparently, the wind got under the headliner and the old thing let loose from the top of the car and fell down around our heads. Ever try driving with a blanket over your head? We made a quick stop on the side of the road, cut a couple stout sticks, wrapped the top of them in some rags, and propped up the headliner so I could see how to drive.

DSC06148.jpg

The grandchildren had a great time playing at the geyser and in the creek that runs along side the road. After a while there, we piled back in the old car and headed back towards home. We stopped along the way at a little road-side diner for hot dogs, drinks, and milkshakes for desert. It was a great "vintage outing" day for us all (even with the near-death experience of the headliner falling down while driving).

DSC06161.jpg

Here's a photo of the road-side "fix" of the headliner. It kind of looks like Jed Clampet and the Hillbillies, but it worked good enough to get us to our destination and back home. Next week I'll take it to our local auto upholstery shop for a proper fix.

DSC06165.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big Man - Don't take this the wrong way, but it's reassuring to those of use who rebuild low-budget hot rods to see that even 20-pt show cars have upolstery malfunctions! lol ...

I wouldn't take it the wrong way. We all got a big laugh out of the headliner falling (after the shock wore off, that is). Of course then I had to think about what it might cost to get it fixed.

I wouldn't consider my Plymouth a "show car" by any means. It's just a nice old car. If I had plenty of big bucks to throw around, then I might like to have something like that, but for me, this old car is just what I need. If it gets a ding or a scratch (or if the headliner falls down) it's not a big deal. If it were a real "show car", I'd be scared to drive it around - then, if you can't drive the things, what's the use in having them?

BoPeep

Practically Family
If it were a real "show car", I'd be scared to drive it around - then, if you can't drive the things, what's the use in having them?

My thoughts exactly. That is why my car's getting primered out in the driveway. We did score an actual paint booth to shoot the color though! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21